Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

LineyK68
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by LineyK68 »

Dancecrazy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:41 pm
LineyK68 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:01 pm
Dancecrazy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:54 am

Big congratulations to your DS!!
My dd sent an audition video in slightly less than 3 weeks ago but hasn’t heard anything . I assume that the Skype interview is for those who are shortlisted?
Can you remember how long after the video submission until he had the Skype interview?
I can remember filming the audition tapes for him as it was the day after lockdown and I begged a favour from a local hotel who had a dance studio,so that would have been 24th March and from memory, he submitted them the same week. His Skype interview was four weeks later. Hope this helps.
Many thanks for your reply . Does the Skype interview involve being asked to do any more singing or dancing or is it a standard interview ?
No more singing or dancing just lots of standard interview questions.
Red
BRIT Award

Post by Red »

LineyK68 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:41 am Not sure if it helps, but we cannot fault our experience with ArtsEd, however, it sounds like this isn't the same for everyone. My DS auditioned via submission of videos during lockdown after having his face to face audition cancelled. He was then asked to attend a Skype meeting third week in April and just under a week later he had his offer which he accepted and we paid the deposit of £350 which I understand is refundable up until a certain date. He received an email through last week to say he should hear by 1st June re: DADA etc.
Congratulations! My dd sent her audition video 29 April and we are still waiting for a response either way.
LineyK68
BRIT Award

Post by LineyK68 »

Red wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:07 pm
LineyK68 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:41 am Not sure if it helps, but we cannot fault our experience with ArtsEd, however, it sounds like this isn't the same for everyone. My DS auditioned via submission of videos during lockdown after having his face to face audition cancelled. He was then asked to attend a Skype meeting third week in April and just under a week later he had his offer which he accepted and we paid the deposit of £350 which I understand is refundable up until a certain date. He received an email through last week to say he should hear by 1st June re: DADA etc.
Congratulations! My dd sent her audition video 29 April and we are still waiting for a response either way.
Thank you. Hopefully your dd should hear soon then.
Dancecrazy
BRIT Award

Post by Dancecrazy »

LineyK68 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:47 pm
LineyK68 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:01 pm

I can remember filming the audition tapes for him as it was the day after lockdown and I begged a favour from a local hotel who had a dance studio,so that would have been 24th March and from memory, he submitted them the same week. His Skype interview was four weeks later. Hope this helps.
Many thanks for your reply . Does the Skype interview involve being asked to do any more singing or dancing or is it a standard interview ?
Thanks so much .
Like Red , my dd submitted her audition video on 29th April . Fingers crossed for them both !
LineyK68
BRIT Award

Post by LineyK68 »

Dancecrazy wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:00 pm
LineyK68 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:47 pm

Thanks so much .
Like Red , my dd submitted her audition video on 29th April . Fingers crossed for them both !
Yes everything crossed. I never envisaged this amount of stress and I still feel we’re only part way there as still awaiting news on funding. 😬
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Hi all, sorry if off topic but does anyone think the colleges will actually re-start back in September and with the economies in trouble and England due to leave the EU will the funding continue for Dadas etc - a few of the colleges seem to be asking incoming students how they feel about coming to train so what happens then if you have booked accommodation etc - I know it's hard to know right now but just wondering what everyone thinks ?
Red
BRIT Award

Post by Red »

Does anyone have any news today?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I don't think the colleges have any idea whether they will be able to safely re-open in September. Certainly my husband who teaches in such a college is very concerned about the research that is emerging out with regards to singing and the increased risk with the spread of droplets due to breath pressure etc.

DaDa funding to all the colleges has already been confirmed. The colleges will be providing training. Whether it is face to face remains to be seen.
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

The Dada funding for this year but a lot of colleges like Laine and Perfomers are letting students defer their applications until the following year so it's the funding for 2021 onwards and it was mentioned at the Laine open day that they don't know what will happen after Brexit - it may just be in relation to students from oversees but it was mentioned - she did say however if you had your funding you would keep it for the 3 years.
LineyK68
BRIT Award

Post by LineyK68 »

I must admit this is a question that I keep asking myself at the moment. I'm certain funding will be a lot more difficult to get hold of and not only that do you risk signing up for accommodation which might not be used until next year? ArtsEd have given details of how they see their schooling working in September a mixture of face to face classes with smaller numbers together with online training but I guess that's in an ideal world. I am now questioning whether my DS should look at trying to defer a year and start again next year, but his concern is would he get offers at the same schools next year??? ArtsEd has always been his top choice, so to risk losing that - a tough decision to be made.
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Yes LineK68 it's a difficult one with so much uncertainty and no guarantees if you defer what will happen either - so hard for all those due to graduate this year and all our children who want to start next year - tough one alright
go for it
BRIT Award

Post by go for it »

LineyK68 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:47 am I must admit this is a question that I keep asking myself at the moment. I'm certain funding will be a lot more difficult to get hold of and not only that do you risk signing up for accommodation which might not be used until next year? ArtsEd have given details of how they see their schooling working in September a mixture of face to face classes with smaller numbers together with online training but I guess that's in an ideal world. I am now questioning whether my DS should look at trying to defer a year and start again next year, but his concern is would he get offers at the same schools next year??? ArtsEd has always been his top choice, so to risk losing that - a tough decision to be made.

If of any help, my daughter is first year degree at Artsed.Since lockdown she has been doing online classes according to the programme that Artsed have put into place. Ive been very impressed. She has very full days and is satisfied with the guidance and support she is getting.Some lessons are live whilst others are pre recorded.Of course nothing is like being there in person but they are doing a great job under these circumstances.
LineyK68
BRIT Award

Post by LineyK68 »

go for it wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:11 pm
LineyK68 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:47 am I must admit this is a question that I keep asking myself at the moment. I'm certain funding will be a lot more difficult to get hold of and not only that do you risk signing up for accommodation which might not be used until next year? ArtsEd have given details of how they see their schooling working in September a mixture of face to face classes with smaller numbers together with online training but I guess that's in an ideal world. I am now questioning whether my DS should look at trying to defer a year and start again next year, but his concern is would he get offers at the same schools next year??? ArtsEd has always been his top choice, so to risk losing that - a tough decision to be made.

If of any help, my daughter is first year degree at Artsed.Since lockdown she has been doing online classes according to the programme that Artsed have put into place. Ive been very impressed. She has very full days and is satisfied with the guidance and support she is getting.Some lessons are live whilst others are pre recorded.Of course nothing is like being there in person but they are doing a great job under these circumstances.
Thanks for the info certainly sounds like they are one of the more prepared schools. :)
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

go for it wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:11 pm

Performers have had a full timetable too, all online classes via zoom plus a weekly small group drama lesson and private singing lesson so think they’re finding their own way of coping. DD’s friend however goes to Addict and they’ve done nothing except written work!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

My daughter has had a slightly reduced timetable. They are working from 9.30am - 4.00pm with a slightly longer lunch break, rather than 9am - 6pm but it is very intense, a longer day of online classes would be too much. Everything is live with personal corrections, and breakout rooms for students to work on certain things then come back together as a class.

In terms of progress my daughter has found that she isn't missing out. It is the social contact she misses. Some students, are finding their lack of space to dance at home an issue or trying to sing when parents and siblings are also there/possibly working.