Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

becmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by becmum »

Red wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:14 pm I’m confused with the thread. Can people clarify things. My dd auditioned via video for colleges and is waiting to hear back from them, but I can see lots of people have either heard back and have been placed on a reserve list. Also people who have already been put on a reserve list are still waiting to hear of a firm offer? It’s so confusing. Has anyone been offered a firm place at all?
My DD did 3 video auditions, got one no within 3 days and two offers one came in around 5 days and the other a couple of weeks
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Red wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:14 pm I’m confused with the thread. Can people clarify things. My dd auditioned via video for colleges and is waiting to hear back from them, but I can see lots of people have either heard back and have been placed on a reserve list. Also people who have already been put on a reserve list are still waiting to hear of a firm offer? It’s so confusing. Has anyone been offered a firm place at all?
All the colleges operate slightly differently but a rough rule of thumb is that from an audition some get offered a place on the day, some get a straight no, some get offered foundation courses, some don’t receive replies for weeks, some have recalls but the majority tend to have a reserve list. Last year my daughter was offered 2 foundation courses and went for Performers, this year she was offered Performers and Wilkes and has chosen to go to Wilkes in September (hopefully) to start her degree. There doesn’t seem to be a right or wrong, some people have a decision within days, some can take weeks (I’ve even seen on here some have been a couple of months). It really is a total minefield and is extremely stressful lol. Fingers crossed your dd will have some positive news, I wouldn’t take the delay as a bad thing, all colleges are having to find a new way of working everything at the moment so I’m sure they’re just a bit behind.
Red
BRIT Award

Post by Red »

becmum wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:39 pm
Wow! That’s was a quick response from them. What colleges were they? We are waiting on bird Laine and arts. Been nearly 3 weeks

My DD did 3 video auditions, got one no within 3 days and two offers one came in around 5 days and the other a couple of weeks
Red
BRIT Award

Post by Red »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:35 pm
Thank you, my daughter auditioned before lockdown and was offered a place at Wilkes, but it’s not her first choice , so wanting to hear a response to others before she can fully decide. She does love Wilkes though

All the colleges operate slightly differently but a rough rule of thumb is that from an audition some get offered a place on the day, some get a straight no, some get offered foundation courses, some don’t receive replies for weeks, some have recalls but the majority tend to have a reserve list. Last year my daughter was offered 2 foundation courses and went for Performers, this year she was offered Performers and Wilkes and has chosen to go to Wilkes in September (hopefully) to start her degree. There doesn’t seem to be a right or wrong, some people have a decision within days, some can take weeks (I’ve even seen on here some have been a couple of months). It really is a total minefield and is extremely stressful lol. Fingers crossed your dd will have some positive news, I wouldn’t take the delay as a bad thing, all colleges are having to find a new way of working everything at the moment so I’m sure they’re just a bit behind.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Red wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:54 pm
Thank you, my daughter auditioned before lockdown and was offered a place at Wilkes, but it’s not her first choice , so wanting to hear a response to others before she can fully decide. She does love Wilkes though

They do tend to know which is right for them, last year for my dd it was Performers over Bird, this year she just fell in love with Wilkes and chose that over Performers (which would’ve been the much easier option). If they all loved the same one then there would be an even bigger problem, at least your dd has an offer in the bag though, did you not have to accept her place at Wilkes though? They only gave us 10 days to accept it and a hefty fee if we now pull out, not that she will be!
Red
BRIT Award

Post by Red »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:57 pm
Red wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:54 pm

They do tend to know which is right for them, last year for my dd it was Performers over Bird, this year she just fell in love with Wilkes and chose that over Performers (which would’ve been the much easier option). If they all loved the same one then there would be an even bigger problem, at least your dd has an offer in the bag though, did you not have to accept her place at Wilkes though? They only gave us 10 days to accept it and a hefty fee if we now pull out, not that she will be!
Yes we had to pay a holding fee for wilkes for her place. She just has her heart set on Arts, and has wanted to go there for so long. We will just have to keep waiting. This must be the reason why people who are placed on the waiting list dont find out until June, when , I presume all colleges have made their final decisions and then pupils can also make their final choices depending on the options given to them.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Bird reserve list seems to be the worst, we know of friends not being offered places until the end of August, even heard story of someone offered a place after term started! Although for some reason their list hardly moved at all last year, all very strange!
Dancecrazy
BRIT Award

Post by Dancecrazy »

Yes it’s all pretty confusing in my opinion . My dd got a place in Italia Conti and Bird after a few days . Yet she’s on a reserve list for several other colleges .
She got a firm offer from Masters Performing Arts after two days . She’s not eligible for a DaDa anywhere but they have offered her a fee assisted place of 50% off the fees . I’m not familiar with this college at all so would be reluctant to encourage her to go there .
She’s awaiting the outcome from Arts Ed & Urdang at present . Arts Ed is the dream .
Duncemum
BRIT Award

Post by Duncemum »

The whole process is quite a challenge! Several different application processes and audition requirements, degrees having different levels of student finance, differing amounts of ‘top up’ which can be eye watering. Dada dismay. Non refundable registration fees with unreasonable deadlines, when they know that auditions are still on-going. Initial course fee deadlines due before all the lists will run out.
I do wonder if with the degree route becoming more prevalent whether the system will become more streamlined over time by UCAS? If anyone has a great idea how this could happen write it here as I’m sure they’re watching us..... :shock: :shock:
Good luck to everyone waiting, and well done those of you with a solid plan already. This forum has been a proper sanity saver, thank you everybody!
Red
BRIT Award

Post by Red »

Dancecrazy wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:11 pm
Yes, that’s the one my dd is waiting for and is the one place she really wants to go

Yes it’s all pretty confusing in my opinion . My dd got a place in Italia Conti and Bird after a few days . Yet she’s on a reserve list for several other colleges .
She got a firm offer from Masters Performing Arts after two days . She’s not eligible for a DaDa anywhere but they have offered her a fee assisted place of 50% off the fees . I’m not familiar with this college at all so would be reluctant to encourage her to go there .
She’s awaiting the outcome from Arts Ed & Urdang at present . Arts Ed is the dream .
LineyK68
BRIT Award

Post by LineyK68 »

Duncemum wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:21 am
The whole process is quite a challenge! Several different application processes and audition requirements, degrees having different levels of student finance, differing amounts of ‘top up’ which can be eye watering. Dada dismay. Non refundable registration fees with unreasonable deadlines, when they know that auditions are still on-going. Initial course fee deadlines due before all the lists will run out.
I do wonder if with the degree route becoming more prevalent whether the system will become more streamlined over time by UCAS? If anyone has a great idea how this could happen write it here as I’m sure they’re watching us..... :shock: :shock:
Good luck to everyone waiting, and well done those of you with a solid plan already. This forum has been a proper sanity saver, thank you everybody!
I agree very much a mindfield and I'm guessing that the usual timings have all been thrown out of the window because of Covid-19. It's also the unknown moving forward in September, however lots to do before we even get there! A very stressful waiting game, currently waiting to see if funding is an option for my DS top choice, or if he works his way up the reserve list for his second choice.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

LineyK68 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 2:19 pm
I agree very much a mindfield and I'm guessing that the usual timings have all been thrown out of the window because of Covid-19. It's also the unknown moving forward in September, however lots to do before we even get there! A very stressful waiting game, currently waiting to see if funding is an option for my DS top choice, or if he works his way up the reserve list for his second choice.
Where are you waiting to hear from? I am not enjoying all this waiting. Fingers crossed some good news for your ds.
LineyK68
BRIT Award

Post by LineyK68 »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 2:40 pm
Where are you waiting to hear from? I am not enjoying all this waiting. Fingers crossed some good news for your ds.
He is on the reserve list for GSA, however, he's really lucky that he's had offers from four other schools so cannot grumble whatsoever, we both appreciate how lucky he is bearing in mind this is his first year of auditioning. I just wish he'd come to MT earlier in life so we could have perhaps prepared financially a bit better for the private drama schools. He only discovered a real passion a couple of years ago and naively we never realised how expensive the private schools are. Keeping everything crossed that we manage to get some sort of funding if not, there will be some difficult decisions to be made.
Red
BRIT Award

Post by Red »

We are waiting to hear from Arts Ed, Laine and Bird for Mt diploma course
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Red wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:45 pm
We are waiting to hear from Arts Ed, Laine and Bird for Mt diploma course
Ah ok. Good luck. We are still waiting on bird for degree but off the reserve list. She didn't get a dada for Laine but did get a place. X