Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Tess50
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Tess50 »

My friends daughter lol - sorry 80 in Diploma and roughly the same for foundation - the email was sent to all those who have been offered a place and I don't think they offer loads as if everyone accepted then they would have too many - I know quite a few who have accepted without funding as they are over the threshold - we will be taking Performers as there would be zero chance we could afford such fees - they are probably the highest of all the colleges.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Tess50 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:08 pm Well my daughters friend is in her 1st year and there are approx 80 students this year.
Yeah but they will offer to loads more than 80 as lots will not be able to accept places.
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Not what Sarah Carroll said to me but I'm sure your right - would make sense
Dancermum70
Nominee

Post by Dancermum70 »

Trying to get my head around DADAs.
So with Laine do you get an offer of a place on the diploma and then a further audition for a DADA. They then only offer so many students the DADA and the remaining either pay the fees in full or decline the place.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Dancermum70 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:23 pm Trying to get my head around DADAs.
So with Laine do you get an offer of a place on the diploma and then a further audition for a DADA. They then only offer so many students the DADA and the remaining either pay the fees in full or decline the place.
Yes. Although some get offered a place and told they dont have to come back for a dada audition and are offered a dada or laine scholarship if they earn too much for a dada. Then others are offered a place with offer of dada audition. Then they will offer some dadas from that or scholarships from that, and some people on the reserve list and then yes you can either decline or pay full fees. Some people may decline the dada funded place if they want afford the parent contribution or living costs. Especially if they have a fully funded degree offer elsewhere.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I'm so sorry about Laine. And appalled about the data breach. I know things are difficult for everyone trying to work from home etc but my dd would have been so upset to know that others she possibly knew would see that.

With regards to figures, I know they vary each year but at their last inspection Laine had 222 students on their diploma (roughly 74 per year) and of those 108 were in receipt of DaDa funding so that is approx. 36 DaDa per year. There are no published figures I can find of the number of auditionees per year.
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Majority audition and are offered a place or not. They are then invited back for a Dada audition (a small few are offered a Dada at their initial audition) Due to the virus this year the Dada auditions were cancelled and the awarding of them were done based on their original audition. The foundation students didn't have to audition either this year as their performance throughout the year was taken into account. You then get offered a Dada, are on a reserve list which isn't very big and doesn't normally move too much (though with the year that's in it who knows) and the rest which is a large number can take their place and pay the fees. As those of us who had sons or daughters on the list we can see that there was 66 on that email list. They have said their LTS bursary is no longer available this year so not sure there are too many scholarships - interesting re the figures they sound about right - can you get a fully funded degree course - though the funding only applied to diploma courses ?
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Tess50 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:12 pm Majority audition and are offered a place or not. They are then invited back for a Dada audition (a small few are offered a Dada at their initial audition) Due to the virus this year the Dada auditions were cancelled and the awarding of them were done based on their original audition. The foundation students didn't have to audition either this year as their performance throughout the year was taken into account. You then get offered a Dada, are on a reserve list which isn't very big and doesn't normally move too much (though with the year that's in it who knows) and the rest which is a large number can take their place and pay the fees. As those of us who had sons or daughters on the list we can see that there was 66 on that email list. They have said their LTS bursary is no longer available this year so not sure there are too many scholarships - interesting re the figures they sound about right - can you get a fully funded degree course - though the funding only applied to diploma courses ?
When I say fully funded I mean fully covered by student loans just like a normal uni degree
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Hi all just updating about Laine - they are a very small college not a lot of space in the studios, My dd is in second year and is really struggling with her zoom and on line classes. Betty Laine and the college directors are really concerned about the third year graduates missing show cases and the iconic end of year summer show - also a lot of current students my dd included are now going to find it very hard to continue to pay fees and accommodation next year and I feel they are concentrating on current students and how to help them before offering more funding now - i am sure they will now limit Septembers intake sadly not sure how they will maintain all the social distancing rules in small studios with singing too - i really hope they do usually about 30 dada's are offered and maybe 4 scolarships
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

Thanks for update - it does sound like they are struggling and it was evident in the email tonight - to make such an error in showing everyones name and then to say bursary fund gone etc must be hard - can understand they want to look after their current students too - so difficult in these uncertain times
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

Tess50 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:12 pm My friends daughter lol - sorry 80 in Diploma and roughly the same for foundation - the email was sent to all those who have been offered a place and I don't think they offer loads as if everyone accepted then they would have too many - I know quite a few who have accepted without funding as they are over the threshold - we will be taking Performers as there would be zero chance we could afford such fees - they are probably the highest of all the colleges.
Last year there were just over 100 in first year, there are 19 on the current foundation year who were unable to audition as their audition date was after the college closed. They had a day to record a couple of ballet exercises and a jazz solo so many of them really upset they missed out on the opportunity to get a proper chance to show the audition panel how they’ve improved. Imagine in relation to bursary awards they have already been allocated. Also many existing students may need more of the dada funding this year if parents circumstances have changed due to the current covid situation 🤔. It’s so unsettling for everyone and I feel all these young performers are now in a very precarious situation with how the performing arts industry will be able to move forward.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

I have emailed Laine to ask about the deferring application comment to see if the place can be deferred to next year and if my dd could audition for a dada for that place. Worth an ask. Will see what they say. I know they are busy but they do seem to ignore emails until I prompt again a few weeks later so I am not expecting to hear anything very quickly. It's a shame to have so many things up in the air for kids at the moment. It would be nice to know something for definite. I know everyone is in the same boat and no one knows what's happening anywhere but I am still finding all this very frustrating.
solitaire
Nominee

Post by solitaire »

Yes, it’s unsettling times and frustrating all round. My DD’s friends are clinging on for news re: Dadas and those that have offers are holding off looking at accommodation at various colleges. We are holding on tight ourselves for now to see what guidance will come through for Drama and PA colleges from Gov for reopening in Autumn. For my DD and all the other DC I hope that comes soon so they can all look forward and make plans. X
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

It's interesting reading about the Laine numbers. It must be particularly difficult for them to predict how many of the original successful applicants will accept their place given that they only offer a Diploma in the first year so no-one can get student finance. That must be why their numbers fluctuate between year groups. Miss Wilson told us they offer places to around 200, would ideally expect around 80 to actually take up their place and DADAs are usually around the 40 ish mark but depends entirely on that cohort's incomes and the financial position of those not in receipt of funding. I've always thought it good that Laine offer a funding audition to everyone offered a place but it seems that the money is just not going to stretch as far any more. DDs friend (boy) was offered a DADA on the day so is very fortunate - but he has no idea how big (or small) his cohort will be. We asked about a three year degree course but that is not yet being planned they said - just the top up opportunity in the third year or upon graduating. Our son loved Laine and his younger sister also has it on her list for next year - but who knows what might be happening anywhere by then!
Well done to everyone with offers this year - a real achievement - and good luck to all the young performers still waiting on news. It's never been easy but seems epecially challenging for them all this year. x
Tess50
BRIT Award

Post by Tess50 »

I messaged Laine too re the defer option so maybe she might send out a further email - will see if I get a reply too - found it very difficult to get any response to previous messages - only time I got a response was when I had to make a decision on a Dada for elsewhere.