Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

smallbythesea
BRIT Award
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 8:19 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by smallbythesea » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:03 pm

Tess50 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:23 pm
Hi all, just wondering about a Dada - my daughter got accepted into Laine, Bird, Performers, London Studio Centre and last week got a Dada for Performers - she's just turned 17 and Laine was probably her favourite but only some have heard about the Dada's there - I'm just wondering if I accepted the Dada for Performers and she did in fact then get one for Laine is that a problem. I would prefer to know from Laine but they have just said the process is very long and frustrating and I'll know when they know so I'm in a dilemma as I would rather accept or turn down Performers now rather than hold on and wait weeks for Laine - she'd prefer Laine but more than happy with Performers ? Thanks for advice
Well done to your dd. She has done amazing.

Have performers given you a cut off date? Can you just say that she is waiting for a decision from all her auditions before she makes a decision? Also, which is the moat affordable and is going to help her work towards her end goal?

becmum
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:35 am

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by becmum » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:22 pm

smallbythesea wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:03 pm
Tess50 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:23 pm
Hi all, just wondering about a Dada - my daughter got accepted into Laine, Bird, Performers, London Studio Centre and last week got a Dada for Performers - she's just turned 17 and Laine was probably her favourite but only some have heard about the Dada's there - I'm just wondering if I accepted the Dada for Performers and she did in fact then get one for Laine is that a problem. I would prefer to know from Laine but they have just said the process is very long and frustrating and I'll know when they know so I'm in a dilemma as I would rather accept or turn down Performers now rather than hold on and wait weeks for Laine - she'd prefer Laine but more than happy with Performers ? Thanks for advice
Well done to your dd. She has done amazing.

Have performers given you a cut off date? Can you just say that she is waiting for a decision from all her auditions before she makes a decision? Also, which is the moat affordable and is going to help her work towards her end goal?
We know of someone who was waiting on funding elsewhere and performers weren’t happy and said it was obvious they weren’t his first choice! But they should understand people are waiting on other offers.
Congratulations on all the offers, a great position to be in

Tess50
BRIT Award
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:28 am

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Tess50 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:32 pm

Thanks so much - we've turned down Bird and London Studio Centre - Performers is almost a full Dada so we're from Ireland so we have to pay her accommodation/maintenance fees and extras ourselves so the offer from Performers is amazing. Performers have a cut of date of tomorrow though she only heard about it a week ago and you have to sign the form to say it's the only Dada you're going to accept - I explained this to Laine but the process just takes longer there which I do understand as there's so much to check and clarify - if I knew she was at the end of the list (as apparently there's a list giving where you are with regard to funding) then at least I'd know the chance of her getting one there is low. She's in a group online chat with the group from Laine and a large number who did the foundation course last year seem to have been given their Dadas already so it's just a bit of a dilemma - but she's very lucky that having just turned 17 last Saturday to get so many offers I know - I just don't want to accept Performers and then go back and turn it down if she got as good an offer with Laine though I don't think that's going to be the case.

jasmine0323
BRIT Award
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:34 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by jasmine0323 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:04 pm

Tess50 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:32 pm
Thanks so much - we've turned down Bird and London Studio Centre - Performers is almost a full Dada so we're from Ireland so we have to pay her accommodation/maintenance fees and extras ourselves so the offer from Performers is amazing. Performers have a cut of date of tomorrow though she only heard about it a week ago and you have to sign the form to say it's the only Dada you're going to accept - I explained this to Laine but the process just takes longer there which I do understand as there's so much to check and clarify - if I knew she was at the end of the list (as apparently there's a list giving where you are with regard to funding) then at least I'd know the chance of her getting one there is low. She's in a group online chat with the group from Laine and a large number who did the foundation course last year seem to have been given their Dadas already so it's just a bit of a dilemma - but she's very lucky that having just turned 17 last Saturday to get so many offers I know - I just don't want to accept Performers and then go back and turn it down if she got as good an offer with Laine though I don't think that's going to be the case.
You could call Laine tomorrow and let them know your predicament - worth a try 🤷‍♀️Well done to your dd - she’s done amazing x

Tess50
BRIT Award
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:28 am

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Tess50 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:15 pm

Yep think I'll have to do that - thanks a mill - will let you know how it goes x

becmum
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:35 am

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by becmum » Fri May 01, 2020 8:42 am

Tess50 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:32 pm
Thanks so much - we've turned down Bird and London Studio Centre - Performers is almost a full Dada so we're from Ireland so we have to pay her accommodation/maintenance fees and extras ourselves so the offer from Performers is amazing. Performers have a cut of date of tomorrow though she only heard about it a week ago and you have to sign the form to say it's the only Dada you're going to accept - I explained this to Laine but the process just takes longer there which I do understand as there's so much to check and clarify - if I knew she was at the end of the list (as apparently there's a list giving where you are with regard to funding) then at least I'd know the chance of her getting one there is low. She's in a group online chat with the group from Laine and a large number who did the foundation course last year seem to have been given their Dadas already so it's just a bit of a dilemma - but she's very lucky that having just turned 17 last Saturday to get so many offers I know - I just don't want to accept Performers and then go back and turn it down if she got as good an offer with Laine though I don't think that's going to be the case.
Surely if your daughter has been offered a DADA at performers then the amount you receive will be the same at any establishment as it’s means tested. So depending on what you earn per household puts you on a band which states what you pay towards the fee, if anything at all? My DD on foundation at Laine and not sure what your DD has heard but so far only 4 out of 19 have been offered funding. So it’s only a small number. Good luck with your decision making 🤞

Littleone
BRIT Award
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:15 am

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Littleone » Fri May 01, 2020 10:33 am

Hi Tess50

Congratulations to your daughter :D

i agree with Jasmine re ringing Laine - I spoke to a lady last year who was really helpful in telling me how likely my daughter was to get funding although that was bursary funding rather than a Dada.

Also it might be worth considering living costs ... I would have thought it would be cheaper to live in Essex than in Epsom !

Good luck with it all !

Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:02 am

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Dancemum1973 » Fri May 01, 2020 11:01 am

Also depends on her end goals. Performers I would say is more commercial. We are also waiting on laine dada funding news. Doesn't seem like anyone who was invited to audition for the dada funding (that was cancelled) has heard anything either way yet. I hope we don't have to wait too long.

Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:02 am

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Dancemum1973 » Fri May 01, 2020 11:05 am

Also what actually happens if you accept the performers place with dada and then turn it down later? Do you have to pay out something to hold the place? I remember reading something last year about if you hold 2 dadas then after a month it flags somewhere. So it must be possible. It's a tough one isnt it.

MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by MygirlsloveMT » Fri May 01, 2020 2:53 pm

You usually have to pay a deposit to secure a place which they say is non-refundable. I would agree though that accommodation is A LOT cheaper in Essex, dd pays £420pm inc bills in a lovely house, when we were looking again this year the rent near other colleges was a big deciding factor in whether dd even auditioned there!

jazzhandsmand
BRIT Award
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:47 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by jazzhandsmand » Fri May 01, 2020 6:10 pm

Does anyone know if you have to pay a deposit when you accept the degree offer at Performers? Got a real dilemma here, dd been offered degree at Performers and Foundation at Urdang (her dream school). Doesn't know what to do for the best. Any opinions or experiences with either of these?

MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by MygirlsloveMT » Fri May 01, 2020 8:12 pm

jazzhandsmand wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:10 pm
Does anyone know if you have to pay a deposit when you accept the degree offer at Performers? Got a real dilemma here, dd been offered degree at Performers and Foundation at Urdang (her dream school). Doesn't know what to do for the best. Any opinions or experiences with either of these?
Similar discussion going on another thread, been offered Pre-Voc at Performers but degree at EDA. Consensus is it comes down to affordability, can you afford to pay for the cost of the course at Urdang plus central London accommodation which is not cheap, without any funding? Opposed to a degree course where you can get a loan for the course fees and maintenance loan for towards living costs. Would be a no brainier for us no matter how much dd wanted to go to the other school, there is no guarantee that they would get a place anywhere a year later (although they should do after a years professional training) so I’d go for the definite place every time. We weren’t as fortunate this year as dd only offered Foundation courses and she took Performers, it’s one of the cheapest (both course fees and living costs) but still a tough option. Good luck xx

Duncemum
Nominee
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:53 pm

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Duncemum » Fri May 01, 2020 9:28 pm

Yep, that’s us! What to do what to do!?
Last edited by Duncemum on Sat May 02, 2020 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lakeviewp
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Lakeviewp » Fri May 01, 2020 10:54 pm

For anyone waiting for DADA news from Laine, the office have asked all current 1st & 2nd years to update their information by Tues 5th May so that they know how much of the DADA pot will then be available for new 1st years. In previous years the DADA letters then went out around early - mid May if I remember correctly. My DS was 3rd on the reserve list for boys funding and finally got the call in mid-July. Hope this helps for anyone who is waiting. X

Tess50
BRIT Award
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:28 am

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Tess50 » Fri May 01, 2020 11:14 pm

Hi all, thanks so much for replies - finally got through today and was told that she's half way down the list and as it stands she couldn't be sure she'd get A Dada as the marks are extremely close for everyone - she said there is 10 on the same mark and my daughter is just below that - my daughter was just on a group zoom call with a group that have set up an online chat thing and that's where a lot of the foundation students mentioned they had gotten their Dadas so wasn't trying to say they all got them but that's what she was told - she'd have preferred Laine but it looks like it will be Performers as there's no way we could afford the fees otherwise - so is there 2 lists for Laine - a list of where you stand and a reserve list ?

Post Reply