Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by islandofsodor »

A month or two ago I saw an announcement that Urdang had teamed up with Birmingham University to offer a fully funded degree.

I wonder if that’s going to take over from the diploma.

They also have their funded AVT for 16-18 year olds.
dancingdreams
Nominee

Post by dancingdreams »

Have also heard rumours that no 16 year olds have been offered diploma this year only AVT.. no idea if this is true though!!
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Urdang staff were open about their changes regarding funding the diploma at the recent Alliiance Conference. But I only have their words which I wrote down and I wasn't sure if this was starting in 2021 when my daughter will audition. They said they felt that the DADA system was unfair and take up of actual places did not correlate to the most talented or those most likely to succeed in the industry. I was told that all Diploma students would be ranked according to their audition outcome with the top ones getting 100% scholarships down to 10% for those lower on the list. Meanng it was purely based on talent etc and not linked to income at all. So I don't think it is that they have "lost" their funding but rather they have decided to pursue a different avenue to offer funding. Even with a DADA many cannot afford the top up amount. I was waiting to read more online but nothing detailed really came. So still not really clear. Don't know about Bodyworks though. Maybe colleges will offer bursaries for those in need? And surely that will be many more people now ...
go for it
BRIT Award

Post by go for it »

dancingdreams wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:53 pm Have also heard rumours that no 16 year olds have been offered diploma this year only AVT.. no idea if this is true though!!
I do know of a 16 year old who has been offered diploma for Urdang.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Ah so dd just had an email withdrawing her offer of diploma from Bodyworks. Not going to run it for new first years.
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:53 pm Ah so dd just had an email withdrawing her offer of diploma from Bodyworks. Not going to run it for new first years.
Yes we just got an email offering a place on the new one year course that states it’s the same as year one of diploma but no 3 year course, they and can register to do BTEC alongside to accrue ucas points whilst they look at alternatives funding avenues for the coming year 😢. What ashame
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

becmum wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:29 pm
Dancemum1973 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:53 pm Ah so dd just had an email withdrawing her offer of diploma from Bodyworks. Not going to run it for new first years.
Yes we just got an email offering a place on the new one year course that states it’s the same as year one of diploma but no 3 year course, they and can register to do BTEC alongside to accrue ucas points whilst they look at alternatives funding avenues for the coming year 😢. What ashame
Which would be no good for your dd dancemum73 as she already has A levels (notwithstanding cancelled exams).

What a shame and a real kick for your dd and really it's a bit dishonest after having paid audition fees etc which I guess you would not have done had a dada funded diploma not been on offer.
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

I’m very sorry to hear this Dancemum1973. It seems very unfair. Does this mean that they’re no longer running the 3 year diploma after the current students complete their course? Very unfair to students who paid for an audition and turned down other places.

I saw a post on the FB page of a dance college saying that one of their students has been admitted directly to 2nd Year of the Bodyworks Diploma course . It didn’t make sense to me really.
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

Apologies to anyone who sent me a pm . I tried replying but replies still seem to be in the outbox
Crazytime
BRIT Award

Post by Crazytime »

Could someone please clarify my thinking , DD cannot claim housing benefit if she is doing a foundation / degree and has got a student loan ? Just trying to work out her funds and whether she will manage with out a part time job or not !!

TIA
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Crazytime wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:55 am Could someone please clarify my thinking , DD cannot claim housing benefit if she is doing a foundation / degree and has got a student loan ? Just trying to work out her funds and whether she will manage with out a part time job or not !!

TIA
You can only get student loan for degree, my dd is just finishing her foundation course and you can’t get any help with funding at all now, think you used to be able to get housing benefit but when it changed to Universal Credit in they added a ‘parental help’ clause which stops it, I think the odd person has managed to get it but the majority couldn’t get it. If you can get the student loan for the degree though you can apply for a maintenance loan to help with living costs. Good luck xx
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Mammamia wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:06 am
I’m very sorry to hear this Dancemum1973. It seems very unfair. Does this mean that they’re no longer running the 3 year diploma after the current students complete their course? Very unfair to students who paid for an audition and turned down other places.

I saw a post on the FB page of a dance college saying that one of their students has been admitted directly to 2nd Year of the Bodyworks Diploma course . It didn’t make sense to me really.
Yes that was mentioned in the email. If they feel they are capable they will contact you to offer going straight into 2nd year. The current first and 2nd years are still doing their course. Just no new first years. From the tone of the email they are devastated about this situation so I think it has been thrown on them all quite recently. I dont know whether they will be in a position to run the 3 year diploma again. Such a shame.
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:23 am
Mammamia wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:06 am

Yes that was mentioned in the email. If they feel they are capable they will contact you to offer going straight into 2nd year. The current first and 2nd years are still doing their course. Just no new first years. From the tone of the email they are devastated about this situation so I think it has been thrown on them all quite recently. I dont know whether they will be in a position to run the 3 year diploma again. Such a shame.
Oh that’s awful , why can’t they run the course ? Are they winding down?
Crazytime
BRIT Award

Post by Crazytime »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:21 am
Crazytime wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:55 am Could someone please clarify my thinking , DD cannot claim housing benefit if she is doing a foundation / degree and has got a student loan ? Just trying to work out her funds and whether she will manage with out a part time job or not !!

TIA
You can only get student loan for degree, my dd is just finishing her foundation course and you can’t get any help with funding at all now, think you used to be able to get housing benefit but when it changed to Universal Credit in they added a ‘parental help’ clause which stops it, I think the odd person has managed to get it but the majority couldn’t get it. If you can get the student loan for the degree though you can apply for a maintenance loan to help with living costs. Good luck xx

Thanks 😊
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

[/quote]

Oh that’s awful , why can’t they run the course ? Are they winding down?
[/quote]
It says they are having to restructure due to funding changes. They have offered a one year intensive instead.