Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

dancingdreams wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:13 pm
MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:35 pm She did it! Degree at Wilkes! To say we are ecstatic and relieved is an understatement!! Two of her friends from Pre-Voc at Performers have got in too so can fully recommend that course to prepare them!
Amazing news!!! Looks like our dds will be together then!
She still has her Performers audition to go and if she gets in it will be a VERY difficult decision. Before auditions Performers was her favourite by far but Wilkes really did blow her away, lord know how she would choose but let’s hope that’s a decision she has to make!
jazzhandsmand
BRIT Award

Post by jazzhandsmand »

We're still at the 'waiting to hear', 'recall' and 'still auditioning' stage so it's still nailbiting stuff for us. It's quite hard to keep my dd's mojo going tbh :?
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

jazzhandsmand wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:18 pm We're still at the 'waiting to hear', 'recall' and 'still auditioning' stage so it's still nailbiting stuff for us. It's quite hard to keep my dd's mojo going tbh :?
Yes we have found that immensely. First bit of positive news really helps! Considering how thick skinned they need to be in this industry they really are demotivated quickly!!! Its so hard! Fingers crossed for some positive news foe you soon.
jazzhandsmand
BRIT Award

Post by jazzhandsmand »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:10 pm
jazzhandsmand wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:18 pm We're still at the 'waiting to hear', 'recall' and 'still auditioning' stage so it's still nailbiting stuff for us. It's quite hard to keep my dd's mojo going tbh :?
Yes we have found that immensely. First bit of positive news really helps! Considering how thick skinned they need to be in this industry they really are demotivated quickly!!! Its so hard! Fingers crossed for some positive news foe you soon.
Thanks Dancemum1973 -this forum really helps doesn't it. Even though the danceworld etc is huge it is surprising how small it is too! Seem to know so many people on here for one reason or another :D
tracyelwell
BRIT Award

Post by tracyelwell »

My daughter auditioned for the Diploma at Performers College last weekend and has 2 more auditions to go. What is everyone's opinion on Performers, I liked it bu that is because its only 35 minute drive away.

Waiting for her Wilkes Academy audition to come through, which is her favourite, but otherwise she is going to have to make a decision.

Also have an audition with Emi-Dale for Level 3 Extended.

Lots of choices and its a bit bewildering
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

tracyelwell wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:08 pm My daughter auditioned for the Diploma at Performers College last weekend and has 2 more auditions to go. What is everyone's opinion on Performers, I liked it bu that is because its only 35 minute drive away.

Waiting for her Wilkes Academy audition to come through, which is her favourite, but otherwise she is going to have to make a decision.

Also have an audition with Emi-Dale for Level 3 Extended.

Lots of choices and its a bit bewildering
My daughter is at Performers at the moment on the pre-voc course and couldn’t speak more highly of it, a very friendly college but still very professional. She has her audition for degree there in 2 weeks but has also been offered degree at Wilkes which she loved just as much. Would really be a difficult decision between the 2 if she gets offered degree at Performers as she said they’re quite similar in their friendliness and how the run the college. Not sure if this will help you or not.
Itsastrangeworld
BRIT Award

Post by Itsastrangeworld »

dancingdreams wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:36 pm
Itsastrangeworld wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:38 pm
dancingdreams wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:11 am My daughter has almost finished auditioning and we’re thrilled with the outcome! We went into the process hoping just for something somewhere but she has been offered degree at Wilkes, MT diploma at Conti Barbican, diploma at Tiffany’s and pre-voc at Performers. She also has a recall for LIPA Dance at the end of March. She’s turned down Performers and Tiffany’s and at the moment is fairly set on Wilkes as this was where she loved most out of everywhere. She also loved LIPA so if she manages to get a place she’ll be deciding between LIPA and Wilkes. Does anyone have any experience of either school or any suggestions (also about Conti as this isn’t completely ruled out yet!)??
My DD is currently a second year at Wilkes and has been delighted with her decision to train there (following successful auditions with Urdang, Laines, Bird and Performers). This was absolutely a case of the College choosing her. The teaching faculty and principals are outstanding, and very supportive. My DD wanted to experience working within the industry as part of her training and has had plenty of opportunities to perform (Move it, Panto, Annual Show etc.) My DD was strong in ballet, modern and tap but the commercial, MT, singing and acting training has been fantastic and she now feels a more rounded performer.
If DC want to work hard I believe that can be successful anywhere but when you find somewhere that fits perfectly it makes the hard work far more enjoyable (we all know how tough it can be!). I would highly recommend Wilkes and the progress and success of graduates speaks for itself and continues to improve each year with experience.
Hi I’m so glad to hear your dd loves Wilkes, mine seems to be very set on it now! Was just wondering if you have any information (or if anyone does!) about how long the days are and the ratio of dance/acting/singing, any information would be so useful!!
The degree course is new from September at Wilkes and therefore contact hours might be slightly different. Currently the day starts formally at 8:30am (my DD is stretching in studio from 8am) and days typically last until 5:30pm but this of course depends of whether it's Move it prep or Show prep terms which can last much later and into the weekends!
In terms of ratio between the disciplines, this again might depend on which group/set they're in but from my DD experience (set 1) it is predominantly dance (Commercial, ballet, tap, jazz, modern, contemporary) with some singing and acting - but these are far less contact hours. There are also pastoral care sessions which I believe are vital to supporting the students.
Crazytime
BRIT Award

Post by Crazytime »

The waiting game is awful ... especially when you hear how their other friends are doing 🙈 the constant reassurance that they are just as good as anyone else is draining 😢😢

She’s Still got 2 more to do and will hope one of this is a confirmed offer or it’s going to be a total rethink of the whole situation 😬😬
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

My daughter has sussed it this year. Last year was awful and despite getting 2 foundation course offers she still thought she was useless as she hadn’t been offered a degree place. However, she said there was a girl on her Urdang audition last year who was amazing at dancing and singing and she singled her out personally as the person most likely that day to be offered a place. This year this girl was at her Bird audition! In the words of my dd, “it made me realise that if someone like that couldn’t get a place then it was no surprise I didn’t”. Just a reality check for her as to how difficult it is to get in, maybe 2% will get a place. Thankfully we have a degree offer and one audition still to go (no from Urdang today but wasn’t bothered as didn’t feel right there) so in a much better position but really hard to convince them they’re still amazing, you just have to hope they work it out for themselves eventually xxx
Crazytime
BRIT Award

Post by Crazytime »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:31 pm My daughter has sussed it this year. Last year was awful and despite getting 2 foundation course offers she still thought she was useless as she hadn’t been offered a degree place. However, she said there was a girl on her Urdang audition last year who was amazing at dancing and singing and she singled her out personally as the person most likely that day to be offered a place. This year this girl was at her Bird audition! In the words of my dd, “it made me realise that if someone like that couldn’t get a place then it was no surprise I didn’t”. Just a reality check for her as to how difficult it is to get in, maybe 2% will get a place. Thankfully we have a degree offer and one audition still to go (no from Urdang today but wasn’t bothered as didn’t feel right there) so in a much better position but really hard to convince them they’re still amazing, you just have to hope they work it out for themselves eventually xxx
Crazy isn’t it ... but I shall be passing this information on to my DD !! Thank you !!!
Ps congrats on the degree offer 🎉🎉
jazzhandsmand
BRIT Award

Post by jazzhandsmand »

Crazytime wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:09 pm
The waiting game is awful ... especially when you hear how their other friends are doing 🙈 the constant reassurance that they are just as good as anyone else is draining 😢😢

She’s Still got 2 more to do and will hope one of this is a confirmed offer or it’s going to be a total rethink of the whole situation 😬😬
Very draining! My dd has got a recall for Urdang and has got a few more auditions yet, waiting to hear from Performers once all their auditions have finished and didn't get cut on the day so that has to be a good sign surely! And is also on the 'dreaded' reserve list for Bird. Fun times eh!!!
jazzhandsmand
BRIT Award

Post by jazzhandsmand »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:31 pm My daughter has sussed it this year. Last year was awful and despite getting 2 foundation course offers she still thought she was useless as she hadn’t been offered a degree place. However, she said there was a girl on her Urdang audition last year who was amazing at dancing and singing and she singled her out personally as the person most likely that day to be offered a place. This year this girl was at her Bird audition! In the words of my dd, “it made me realise that if someone like that couldn’t get a place then it was no surprise I didn’t”. Just a reality check for her as to how difficult it is to get in, maybe 2% will get a place. Thankfully we have a degree offer and one audition still to go (no from Urdang today but wasn’t bothered as didn’t feel right there) so in a much better position but really hard to convince them they’re still amazing, you just have to hope they work it out for themselves eventually xxx
You just never know what the colleges are actually looking for.... sometimes I think is it just a case of "if the face fits".
Congratulations on the degree offer \:D/
jasmine0323
BRIT Award

Post by jasmine0323 »

Dd received the dreaded ‘no’ today from Laine
So at present she has done 4 auditions and had 2 foundation offers with 3 auditions left to do - this is so very hard!
But I am a great believer in everything happens for a reason and just need to convince dd that this is the case! We are in the dreaded ‘am I good enough stage’ - my answer to that is only you know that - everyone’s journey will be different - I think that if you have to do an extra year then that can only make you better and hopefully give you the skills needed that are missing at present to re-audition at your then preferred choices and hopefully gain a place - it doesn’t have to be a sprint it could be a marathon to get the result you really want 🤷‍♀️😉
Crazytime
BRIT Award

Post by Crazytime »

jasmine0323 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:57 pm Dd received the dreaded ‘no’ today from Laine
So at present she has done 4 auditions and had 2 foundation offers with 3 auditions left to do - this is so very hard!
But I am a great believer in everything happens for a reason and just need to convince dd that this is the case! We are in the dreaded ‘am I good enough stage’ - my answer to that is only you know that - everyone’s journey will be different - I think that if you have to do an extra year then that can only make you better and hopefully give you the skills needed that are missing at present to re-audition at your then preferred choices and hopefully gain a place - it doesn’t have to be a sprint it could be a marathon to get the result you really want 🤷‍♀️😉
What great words @jasmine0323 , I said the same to my DD. Everything happens for a reason and what will he will be ! I’m a firm believer in this , just need her to be as convinced as I am !!
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Itsastrangeworld wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:52 pm
dancingdreams wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:36 pm
Itsastrangeworld wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:38 pm

My DD is currently a second year at Wilkes and has been delighted with her decision to train there (following successful auditions with Urdang, Laines, Bird and Performers). This was absolutely a case of the College choosing her. The teaching faculty and principals are outstanding, and very supportive. My DD wanted to experience working within the industry as part of her training and has had plenty of opportunities to perform (Move it, Panto, Annual Show etc.) My DD was strong in ballet, modern and tap but the commercial, MT, singing and acting training has been fantastic and she now feels a more rounded performer.
If DC want to work hard I believe that can be successful anywhere but when you find somewhere that fits perfectly it makes the hard work far more enjoyable (we all know how tough it can be!). I would highly recommend Wilkes and the progress and success of graduates speaks for itself and continues to improve each year with experience.
Hi I’m so glad to hear your dd loves Wilkes, mine seems to be very set on it now! Was just wondering if you have any information (or if anyone does!) about how long the days are and the ratio of dance/acting/singing, any information would be so useful!!
The degree course is new from September at Wilkes and therefore contact hours might be slightly different. Currently the day starts formally at 8:30am (my DD is stretching in studio from 8am) and days typically last until 5:30pm but this of course depends of whether it's Move it prep or Show prep terms which can last much later and into the weekends!
In terms of ratio between the disciplines, this again might depend on which group/set they're in but from my DD experience (set 1) it is predominantly dance (Commercial, ballet, tap, jazz, modern, contemporary) with some singing and acting - but these are far less contact hours. There are also pastoral care sessions which I believe are vital to supporting the students.
Hi Itsastrangeworld, I’ve sent you a PM, hope you don’t mind x