Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mammamia
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by Mammamia »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:03 pm
Ib111 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:42 pm
Dancemum1973 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:58 pm Yeah!! Waiting for postal results from 20th and 21st feb and a uni portal update from an auditon on 24th feb. Must be hearing something soon!!!
Are you still waiting for Laine ? We're waiting too.
Yeah from audition on 21st feb. We know people who did the 19th feb who heard sat 22nd.

My dd did Laine on 24th Feb and didn’t hear anything yet . Her friend auditioned on the 19th Feb and got an offer 6 days later so we had sort of expected to hear today .
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Sparkle13 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:53 pm Does anyone know how long it will take after the dada funding auditions for decisions to be shared, my dd has hers on 27th April? Also can anyone confirm that if we get dada funding (won’t be eligible for maintenance part) that we will have to fund all of living costs? And she will not be eligible for universal credit? How do people manage we have estimated it would cost about 10k a year.? ](*,)
Is your dd going to be in central London? My dd is in Essex (outside M25) and pays £420 per month with bills, we then send her £200 a month and this lasts her fine. However, at her Urdang audition yesterday she asked 2 current students how much they pay and they said it ranges between £650-900 per month WITHOUT bills, so rent can differ hugely (don’t think London will be happening for us, even with the maintenance loan!). As for Universal Credit, I’m sure you can’t get this anymore, we couldn’t for dd on foundation course as they sneakily have a clause that says ’without parental support’ and of course if you’re helping her with the rent then she has support. Good luck with the funding but still an expensive business 🤦🏽‍♀️ X
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Mammamia wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:56 pm
Dancemum1973 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:03 pm

Yeah from audition on 21st feb. We know people who did the 19th feb who heard sat 22nd.

My dd did Laine on 24th Feb and didn’t hear anything yet . Her friend auditioned on the 19th Feb and got an offer 6 days later so we had sort of expected to hear today .
Oh well we did the 21st feb and haven't heard yet?!!
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:36 pm
Sparkle13 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:53 pm Does anyone know how long it will take after the dada funding auditions for decisions to be shared, my dd has hers on 27th April? Also can anyone confirm that if we get dada funding (won’t be eligible for maintenance part) that we will have to fund all of living costs? And she will not be eligible for universal credit? How do people manage we have estimated it would cost about 10k a year.? ](*,)
Is your dd going to be in central London? My dd is in Essex (outside M25) and pays £420 per month with bills, we then send her £200 a month and this lasts her fine. However, at her Urdang audition yesterday she asked 2 current students how much they pay and they said it ranges between £650-900 per month WITHOUT bills, so rent can differ hugely (don’t think London will be happening for us, even with the maintenance loan!). As for Universal Credit, I’m sure you can’t get this anymore, we couldn’t for dd on foundation course as they sneakily have a clause that says ’without parental support’ and of course if you’re helping her with the rent then she has support. Good luck with the funding but still an expensive business 🤦🏽‍♀️ X
The thing is you dont HAVE to fund them for their living costs. We will try and help where possible. Who on earth figured that if you earn over £30000 a year then you have a spare £10k floating about!? Our dd will have to get a part time job and live as cheaply as possible - we know people crippling themselves because their dd chose a room with an en suite that's £50 a week more. 🤣😳
Sparkle13
BRIT Award

Post by Sparkle13 »

Wow! It does differ!! It’s for Laine, if she doesn’t get dada it’s a definite no, she has a degree place at bird and if I’m honest I would prefer her to go there as the security of support means we can help with other things, fingers crossed it all works out right for everyone xx
Sparkle13
BRIT Award

Post by Sparkle13 »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:56 pm
The thing is you dont HAVE to fund them for their living costs. We will try and help where possible. Who on earth figured that if you earn over £30000 a year then you have a spare £10k floating about!? Our dd will have to get a part time job and live as cheaply as possible - we know people crippling themselves because their dd chose a room with an en suite that's £50 a week more. 🤣😳
Thing is my dd works now and would happily get a job but we have been told that the days are very long and exhausting with extra rehearsals for shows etc at weekends so not sure a job would be realistic? Plus a part time job is unlikely to make a massive dent in the living costs, we will definitely find the cheapest options but it’s still a small fortune, so for us we would HAVE to meet the shortfall if we agreed for her to go there, all things we are weighing up but will see what happens at funding auditions as it may not even need to be discussed.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Quite a few places my dd has auditioned they have said they encourage students to get a part time job despite the long hours. Both Laine and Bodyworks said this.
Sparkle13
BRIT Award

Post by Sparkle13 »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:43 am Quite a few places my dd has auditioned they have said they encourage students to get a part time job despite the long hours. Both Laine and Bodyworks said this.
It would be great if it is possible, bird told us to expect some 13 hour days and weekends especially during assessment and rehearsal
Periods not sure we had the discussion when we went to Laine. For us This won’t be a decision factor, lots of other considerations will be, hope your dd hears soon, the waiting is awful.
Ib111
Nominee

Post by Ib111 »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:31 pm
Dancemum1973 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:58 pm Yeah!! Waiting for postal results from 20th and 21st feb and a uni portal update from an auditon on 24th feb. Must be hearing something soon!!!
What date were you and your DC at Laine?
Mon 24th
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Sparkle13 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:53 am
Dancemum1973 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:43 am Quite a few places my dd has auditioned they have said they encourage students to get a part time job despite the long hours. Both Laine and Bodyworks said this.
It would be great if it is possible, bird told us to expect some 13 hour days and weekends especially during assessment and rehearsal
Periods not sure we had the discussion when we went to Laine. For us This won’t be a decision factor, lots of other considerations will be, hope your dd hears soon, the waiting is awful.
My daughter worked before she started at Performers, looked for a job when she was down there and no one wanted to know as it’s not all year round, they’d rather give the job to someone local who isn’t going to go home in the holidays. I know some have found jobs but they are harder to find, plus you are right, contact hours are so long in the week that if she then worked Saturday and Sunday I don’t think she’d cope, and dd is a very hard worker! She does have a seasonal job so can get work in the big holidays when she comes home, she just has to put the hours in then to make enough money to last her when she gets back.
Another idea is to do some dance workshops, if they’re over 18 they can apply for a dbs/chaperone licence so dd is going to do 1 each holiday she is home for students at her old dance school, this can be quite a good earner. If your dd is under 18 then you could always consider applying for these instead and being there with her during the workshop.
It’s so difficult finding the balance but I do think we have to be realistic and realise that they need help with money, even with the most basic of rents. Having said that, if your dd goes to Bird you should be fine as it is classed as London for the maintenance loan so you get more allowance, and rent is cheaper than London, think they said around £600 a month with bills as an average x
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

At Laine they said they have a lot of students working in Sainsburys and also babysitting.
Our chaperones at our dance school dont get paid!
We will have to see what happens. Dd had her heart set on the most expensive ones with the least funding. Of course!
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:44 am At Laine they said they have a lot of students working in Sainsburys and also babysitting.
Our chaperones at our dance school dont get paid!
We will have to see what happens. Dd had her heart set on the most expensive ones with the least funding. Of course!
I didn’t mean chaperone for the dance school, I meant set up your own dance workshop and mum could chaperone on behalf of her daughter if she isn’t old enough to get her own dbs/chaperone licence. My dd has been to them from other students who have been to PA college as they can do the most amazing dance workshops, and the little ones’ parents will pay just to have a break for a few hours 😂. I chaperone for our dance school and shows and yes, can confirm it is definitely unpaid labour lol x
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

It's easier to find work if you are over 18. But many of dd's friends have struggled. She applied for so many jobs such as retail, bar work or waiting on nbut they wanted complete flexibility eg Saturdays and Sundays or able to work late evenings which when you are doing an 8am-7pm day or 10pm-10pm as she has been the last coiuple of weeks, it's exhausting.

In her first year she got a job assisting at children's drama classes on a Saturday but the pay was so low it barely covered her travel. She was between £5-£10 up each week after travel costs. This year she has been much luckier. She has a job working for a Stagecoach where the pay is much better. The downside is she has to travel to get there (was 90 mins on the train but is now just an hour now that she can drive). But some schools avoid vocational students as they have to take time off for their own shows (dd had two shows last week) and if it clashes with the saturday class shows then they are of no use.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

My DD works in the summer holidays once home. I honestly think it would be too much to work as well as she seems pretty tired with dancing etc all day and essays etc to work on at night. Its one of the reasons I'm so glad she didnt choose London in the end xx
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

And another day with no news! 😬😬😬