Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

becmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by becmum »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:29 pm
becmum wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:25 am First audition today for DD at Urdang. First one going without me and I will be waiting all day to hear how it’s gone 😬. She had a dip in confidence last week so hoping she can gather herself today and it will spur her on for the other auditions. I hate this part of the process 🤦‍♀️.
Know how the dip in confidence feels! DD had her first audition yesterday at Bird and came out saying everyone is so much better than her. So difficult watching them being hard on themselves, think DD realises this year she has to get something as she said she won’t audition a third year. Can’t seem to get through to her that she did amazingly last year being offered 2 foundation courses (took pre-voc at Performers), she classes that as not getting a place still. She has Wilkes next Thursday though so 🤞🏼 this might give her a boost.
Awful isn’t it! Dd got Bird next week, she was offered two foundation and diploma a bird last year. Been on Laine foundation which has been amazing for her. Only 15 when she auditioned last year so this year has been a really big step moving away and doing this training full time but she’s loved it. So, like you, just hoping for a positive outcome this time 🤞. Good luck with the rest of the journey and am sure she did fine yesterday, she’ll be far more prepared than last year x
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Know how the dip in confidence feels! DD had her first audition yesterday at Bird and came out saying everyone is so much better than her. So difficult watching them being hard on themselves, think DD realises this year she has to get something as she said she won’t audition a third year. Can’t seem to get through to her that she did amazingly last year being offered 2 foundation courses (took pre-voc at Performers), she classes that as not getting a place still. She has Wilkes next Thursday though so 🤞🏼 this might give her a boost.
It's awful when they compare themselves to others in the audition (We all do it in every walk of life too) but tell her to remember that colleges aren't looking for the finished product they are looking for potential that they can train. Someone may have been better than your DD in one area but not another or may have been better but had a terrible attitude during the process or during the interview. Fingers crossed
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Munchpot wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:23 pm

It's awful when they compare themselves to others in the audition (We all do it in every walk of life too) but tell her to remember that colleges aren't looking for the finished product they are looking for potential that they can train. Someone may have been better than your DD in one area but not another or may have been better but had a terrible attitude during the process or during the interview. Fingers crossed
She said she feels a lot more prepared this year from her pre-voc course but then on the flip side said she knows more what she did right or wrong! I always tell her though that things happen for a reason so we shall see, she can’t do better than her best!
dancermum
Nominee

Post by dancermum »

dancingdreams wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:11 am My daughter has almost finished auditioning and we’re thrilled with the outcome! We went into the process hoping just for something somewhere but she has been offered degree at Wilkes, MT diploma at Conti Barbican, diploma at Tiffany’s and pre-voc at Performers. She also has a recall for LIPA Dance at the end of March. She’s turned down Performers and Tiffany’s and at the moment is fairly set on Wilkes as this was where she loved most out of everywhere. She also loved LIPA so if she manages to get a place she’ll be deciding between LIPA and Wilkes. Does anyone have any experience of either school or any suggestions (also about Conti as this isn’t completely ruled out yet!)??
My DD is currently at LIPA on the dance degree course. She loves it there and can say without hesitation it is a fantastic place to study. Class size is small - her year's intake was 32. The course is 95% dance but also covers singing and acting too. In the second year they study aerial skills as well.
They do full days - start early and finish late, as well as some weekends so they expect dedication! The teaching standard is extremely high. She's had some great opportunities come her way from being at LIPA and we would highly recommend it.
Good luck with the recall!
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Really familiar with that dip in confidence after wait list for bird and an arts ed no. Apparently that means she's rubbish and no one will take her.
They are all going to need to be a bit more resilient in this industry! Bless. Glad I'm not the only one going through the same things!
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

Just heard from DD had good audition today, everything went to plan, said not much space in jazz so went all out in the face! Interview just 3 questions, why urdang, where else have you applied to and what course are you applying for. Most people on her group around 19 yrs old so she felt young in comparison. So the wait begins. No idea how long they take🤔
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Just reading the Performers degree information and it mentions the year is divided into two semesters. Does this mean there is only two terms or two longer sessions amounting to the same time as other courses?
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:17 pm Just reading the Performers degree information and it mentions the year is divided into two semesters. Does this mean there is only two terms or two longer sessions amounting to the same time as other courses?
It must mean sessions, this year it is definitely full length, they started around 9th Sept and they finish at the start of July, Pre-Voc terms are slightly shorter but they haven’t been told there has been a change. Does seem odd wording though and I would query it like you, wonder if it means one semester of training/assessments and one semester is show training?
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:17 pm Just reading the Performers degree information and it mentions the year is divided into two semesters. Does this mean there is only two terms or two longer sessions amounting to the same time as other courses?
Think it is an odd college thing - some seem to split the year into three "terms" and some into two "semesters" but they all do the same amount of time really. University of Surrey has two semesters, but there are still half terms=reading weeks, Christmas and Easter in the same place and semester one and two run together Jan-Feb time. Think it is something about how the teaching modules are described and split, that's all. Someone else may know more...
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Most universities work in two semesters in terms of organising their modules. For a degree course you have to undertake 120 credits each year so you do 60 credits the first semester (either 3 20 credit modules or 4 15 credit modules) and 60 credits the second half year.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Ah that's great. Thanks for the replies. That makes sense.
Lmum
BRIT Award

Post by Lmum »

My DD has an unconditional offer for Bird MT degree and we are looking for advice on accomodation . She is currently in halls elsewhere so would prefer a private flat/house share if possible and preferably walking distance to college . Does anyone have any advice on where is good - we are in Yorkshire so popping down to look at different rooms isn’t really an option . I know Bird send out a list but have been told by others that this is quite late and worried we will be away when it arrives. Anyone with DD/DS at Bird have any advice ?
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Lmum wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:46 pm My DD has an unconditional offer for Bird MT degree and we are looking for advice on accomodation . She is currently in halls elsewhere so would prefer a private flat/house share if possible and preferably walking distance to college . Does anyone have any advice on where is good - we are in Yorkshire so popping down to look at different rooms isn’t really an option . I know Bird send out a list but have been told by others that this is quite late and worried we will be away when it arrives. Anyone with DD/DS at Bird have any advice ?
Congratulations on the offer. My DD is in 2nd year and loves it

We are lucky that we live in Sidcup.

Tell you DD To get on the Bird Facebook page - You'll find current 3rd year students advertising for people to take over their rooms. There are a lot of local estate agents and some look after properties in the High Street that are like halls.

Happy to answer any questions about areas to look at etc if you want
Lmum
BRIT Award

Post by Lmum »

Munchpot wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:52 pm
Lmum wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:46 pm My DD has an unconditional offer for Bird MT degree and we are looking for advice on accomodation . She is currently in halls elsewhere so would prefer a private flat/house share if possible and preferably walking distance to college . Does anyone have any advice on where is good - we are in Yorkshire so popping down to look at different rooms isn’t really an option . I know Bird send out a list but have been told by others that this is quite late and worried we will be away when it arrives. Anyone with DD/DS at Bird have any advice ?
Congratulations on the offer. My DD is in 2nd year and loves it

We are lucky that we live in Sidcup.

Tell you DD To get on the Bird Facebook page - You'll find current 3rd year students advertising for people to take over their rooms. There are a lot of local estate agents and some look after properties in the High Street that are like halls.

Happy to answer any questions about areas to look at etc if you want
Thanks Munchpot I’ll tell her to keep checking on Facebook and I’ll look at a few estate agents online 😀
jazzhandsmand
BRIT Award

Post by jazzhandsmand »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:37 pm
jazzhandsmand wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:28 pm My dd had the same experience at Bird.... a very strange audition!! It did put her off a little to be honest. She got on the reserve list.
Ah thanks for this. We will have to wait and see. Is that for this sept? Did she do the acting / singing first? Does she have any other offers yet? X
She did singing/acting first. She has got a recall for Urdang and is on waiting list for performers until all the auditions have finished. It’s a hard slog this waiting game!!