Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by kzgirl »

Sparkle13 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:17 pm My daughter has to choose between Laine 3yr Diploma and Bird Degree, does anyone’s dd or ds go or have been to these which would you recommend? Thank you
We have had experience of a diploma and a degree, DD was offered a diploma at a performing arts college with a 52% bursary it was very tough financially on us and DD decided it wasn’t for her after a term ( there were loads of health factors as well). Anyway after a spell at home she re auditioned for degree courses with student finance she is in her 2nd year at Chichester conservatoire. It’s so much easier and less stressful with student finance on DD and us. I would put a degree course ahead of any diploma course because realistically how many of our DD and DS are going to be working in the industry forever it is a short lived career. Having the degree helps to diversify and get decent money when working. The diploma narrows career options if your child cannot get work. Don’t get me wrong I am not saying these courses aren’t worth while and your children won’t get work in the industry but you need to be realistic and for everyone that gets the lucky break loads don’t. I know people who have had starring roles in the Westend and then get nothing.
go for it
BRIT Award

Post by go for it »

kzgirl wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:24 am
Sparkle13 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:17 pm My daughter has to choose between Laine 3yr Diploma and Bird Degree, does anyone’s dd or ds go or have been to these which would you recommend? Thank you
We have had experience of a diploma and a degree, DD was offered a diploma at a performing arts college with a 52% bursary it was very tough financially on us and DD decided it wasn’t for her after a term ( there were loads of health factors as well). Anyway after a spell at home she re auditioned for degree courses with student finance she is in her 2nd year at Chichester conservatoire. It’s so much easier and less stressful with student finance on DD and us. I would put a degree course ahead of any diploma course because realistically how many of our DD and DS are going to be working in the industry forever it is a short lived career. Having the degree helps to diversify and get decent money when working. The diploma narrows career options if your child cannot get work. Don’t get me wrong I am not saying these courses aren’t worth while and your children won’t get work in the industry but you need to be realistic and for everyone that gets the lucky break loads don’t. I know people who have had starring roles in the Westend and then get nothing.
Last year my daughter was offered the same, she finally chose somewhere else but we were under the impression that the Laines Diploma could be topped up to a degree anyway during the course. Have they changed that this year?
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Yes the laine diploma can be topped up with a degree in the final year but costs £9000 and you can't get student funding for it.
go for it
BRIT Award

Post by go for it »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:33 pm Yes the laine diploma can be topped up with a degree in the final year but costs £9000 and you can't get student funding for it.
Is that 9000 on top of the fees already being paid?
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

I actually don’t agree that the diploma narrows career options. It all depends on your dc, their determination and ambitions. My DS has a level 6 dance diploma from Tring along with 2 A’levels. In the last year of his training last year he decided dance was no longer for him after 2 serious hip surgeries. In September he started an apprenticeship in a top London construction management company to become a chartered surveyor - he got the job due to his incredible work ethic, determination, organisational skills and utter self belief he has something to offer (all skills I believe performing arts students develop through their training and natural personality traits). He got placed on the training program based on his diploma results.

Each family’s personal circumstances will dictate which route your DC will need to take and of course which course they get accepted onto. If it is your destiny to make it in this business you will and the training develops amazing skills in our young adults to navigate a tough world and choose an amazing life wherever it takes them.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

go for it wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:42 pm
Dancemum1973 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:33 pm Yes the laine diploma can be topped up with a degree in the final year but costs £9000 and you can't get student funding for it.
Is that 9000 on top of the fees already being paid?
As far as I am aware yes
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

lotsolaffs wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:17 pm My DD was offered unconditional place on BA at GSA this afternoon after her recall on Saturday. So,so pleased for her and just glad now that this is all over. She will turn her Laine place down now.
Keep going everyone x
Congratulations to your DD. So nice for her to have it all sorted so early on. She will love it at GSA. My DD is in the first year of the MT BA there and is absolutely loving it. It’s a really family feel. It’s hard work but she can’t believe how lucky she is to be doing something she loves every day. If there is any advice you need later on, feel free to pm me.
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:19 pm Wow that's amazing. Lots of decisions to be made!
Anyone have any tips for the GSA or Mountview auditions? My dd is doing the regional manchester ones and we've heard they don't tell them on the day for these. Wondered how much they would be like the Arts Ed audition she did the other day.
My DD auditioned last year for GSA in Guildford. The first audition involved singing in front of one singing teacher and a dance call. She wasn’t told on the day what the outcome was but later through UCAS, maybe one to two weeks later (I can’t quite remember). It’s not a long audition unlike the ArtsEd auditions where everything happens all on one day.
Recalls at GSA are longer and for this you have to prepare a new song off a list they send through, as well as a contemporary monologue, another (harder) dance call and then an interview if they like what they have seen during the day.
Good luck!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Harry2003 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:25 pm I actually don’t agree that the diploma narrows career options. It all depends on your dc, their determination and ambitions. My DS has a level 6 dance diploma from Tring along with 2 A’levels. In the last year of his training last year he decided dance was no longer for him after 2 serious hip surgeries. In September he started an apprenticeship in a top London construction management company to become a chartered surveyor - he got the job due to his incredible work ethic, determination, organisational skills and utter self belief he has something to offer (all skills I believe performing arts students develop through their training and natural personality traits). He got placed on the training program based on his diploma results.

Each family’s personal circumstances will dictate which route your DC will need to take and of course which course they get accepted onto. If it is your destiny to make it in this business you will and the training develops amazing skills in our young adults to navigate a tough world and choose an amazing life wherever it takes them.

I would agree. For dd a Diploma was her best option for post 16 education. Like Harry’s son my dd is studying for the Trinity diploma alongside 2 A levels. Because of our income we pay about £900 per term course fees plus her living expenses which equates to roughly what we’d have to top up if she went to a normal uni.

When she graduates she plans on topping the diploma up to a full degree via Middlesex university. Student Finance is available for this. Others from her college were admitted directly into MA courses.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Felicity wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:56 pm
Dancemum1973 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:19 pm Wow that's amazing. Lots of decisions to be made!
Anyone have any tips for the GSA or Mountview auditions? My dd is doing the regional manchester ones and we've heard they don't tell them on the day for these. Wondered how much they would be like the Arts Ed audition she did the other day.
My DD auditioned last year for GSA in Guildford. The first audition involved singing in front of one singing teacher and a dance call. She wasn’t told on the day what the outcome was but later through UCAS, maybe one to two weeks later (I can’t quite remember). It’s not a long audition unlike the ArtsEd auditions where everything happens all on one day.
Recalls at GSA are longer and for this you have to prepare a new song off a list they send through, as well as a contemporary monologue, another (harder) dance call and then an interview if they like what they have seen during the day.
Good luck!
My DD's was the same, a much more demanding dance call and that alone was 2 hours. Mine heard the next day for a recall but I think only as her audition was on second to last day of term.

Some she knows ( about 5 people) are still waiting for results from recalls in December early Jan. They seem to offer foundation on the day which lessens the waiting time.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

[/quote]

Congratulations to your DD. So nice for her to have it all sorted so early on. She will love it at GSA. My DD is in the first year of the MT BA there and is absolutely loving it. It’s a really family feel. It’s hard work but she can’t believe how lucky she is to be doing something she loves every day. If there is any advice you need later on, feel free to pm me.
[/quote]

Thank you,she is delighted,have contacted you already.
go for it
BRIT Award

Post by go for it »

lotsolaffs wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:23 am
Felicity wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:56 pm
Good luck!
My DD's was the same, a much more demanding dance call and that alone was 2 hours. Mine heard the next day for a recall but I think only as her audition was on second to last day of term.

Some she knows ( about 5 people) are still waiting for results from recalls in December early Jan. They seem to offer foundation on the day which lessens the waiting time.
My DD also auditioned for GSA last year, it might be good for your daughter to be prepared to perform her monologue and song in front of the whole group of auditionees unlike some other auditions where they are are auditioned individually. This was the case in both the first round and recall auditions.At my DDs recall audition foundation offers were given on the day after the interview. She waited quite a long time for her offer.
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

First audition today for DD at Urdang. First one going without me and I will be waiting all day to hear how it’s gone 😬. She had a dip in confidence last week so hoping she can gather herself today and it will spur her on for the other auditions. I hate this part of the process 🤦‍♀️.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Waiting to hear how it went is nerve wracking, hope she has a great day and there is something to be learnt at each audition. Fingers crossed
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

becmum wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:25 am First audition today for DD at Urdang. First one going without me and I will be waiting all day to hear how it’s gone 😬. She had a dip in confidence last week so hoping she can gather herself today and it will spur her on for the other auditions. I hate this part of the process 🤦‍♀️.
Know how the dip in confidence feels! DD had her first audition yesterday at Bird and came out saying everyone is so much better than her. So difficult watching them being hard on themselves, think DD realises this year she has to get something as she said she won’t audition a third year. Can’t seem to get through to her that she did amazingly last year being offered 2 foundation courses (took pre-voc at Performers), she classes that as not getting a place still. She has Wilkes next Thursday though so 🤞🏼 this might give her a boost.