Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by islandofsodor »

Marissa wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:22 am People outside of arts don't realise how much it costs or how hard/long/competitive the auditions are. To get an offer in any of these schools is such an achievement xx

And yes it is about money too. Talent as well but there are schools my dd would love to have auditioned for that do get the future jobs but we just couldn't afford it x Saying that I am a big believer in if you work hard you will get where you want to be x
Same here. Arts Ed was always dd's dream. But it was pointless auditioning as no amount of juggling could have conjured up the money.
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

Marissa wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:22 am People outside of arts don't realise how much it costs or how hard/long/competitive the auditions are. To get an offer in any of these schools is such an achievement xx

And yes it is about money too. Talent as well but there are schools my dd would love to have auditioned for that do get the future jobs but we just couldn't afford it x Saying that I am a big believer in if you work hard you will get where you want to be x
Completely agree!!
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Hell yeah! In some ways I think the ones who can’t afford to go everywhere maybe appreciate they have to work harder and will always have that same work ethic. Not saying all who can afford to go to any college are any different but our dd has told us how much she appreciates our help as she’s come to realise the cost of everything, especially on a 2nd year of it all and knows it’s not something we can really afford. Her pre-voc year was only manageable using some inheritance from her grandad which has made her appreciate costs even more! Let’s hope everyone’s hard work pays off, find it funny when we talk on here and our dc could actually end up training together!
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

My dd had Bird audition today. Was a weird one. She felt rushed through the monologue, the pianist played her music incorrectly and at various speeds and the panel talked through her singing. Then they had to wait around for over 2 hours before they got to dance which she said went better. She came out very demoralised and is convinced they didn't like her as they couldn't wait to get her out of the room. Anyone else's dd have the same experience but then still get an offer?
jazzhandsmand
BRIT Award

Post by jazzhandsmand »

My dd had the same experience at Bird.... a very strange audition!! It did put her off a little to be honest. She got on the reserve list.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

jazzhandsmand wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:28 pm My dd had the same experience at Bird.... a very strange audition!! It did put her off a little to be honest. She got on the reserve list.
Ah thanks for this. We will have to wait and see. Is that for this sept? Did she do the acting / singing first? Does she have any other offers yet? X
Mrspotatohead
Nominee

Post by Mrspotatohead »

I think the schools are now getting really greedy and seeing the auditions as a revenue stream. Mine had their GSA MT audition and there was only one person on the panel when they sang is that usual there? , the accompanist was not very experienced
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Mrspotatohead wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:43 pm I think the schools are now getting really greedy and seeing the auditions as a revenue stream. Mine had their GSA MT audition and there was only one person on the panel when they sang is that usual there? , the accompanist was not very experienced
Yes,just one and pianist on my daughter's day was slow,despite her tapping and humming tempo.

Recall for my DD yesterday at GSA,through to interview for BA so just waiting now to hear now but no idea how long that will be. She really enjoyed her day,loves it there.
For the recalls there were two on panel all the way through but different dance and singing tutors,accompanist was brilliant she said
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

sandiek123 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:59 pm My daughter has a confirmed place at The MTA, a reserve list place at Italia Conti and an offer of an audition for Foundation at ArtsEd. I think she has rejected ArtsEd - wanting to get down to full-on training asap. But we have a conflict: she would rather end up with a BA and be in a bigger potential friendship group, whereas I love the ethos of MTA and the fact that it is so individualised and their stats of 100% representation etc. Does anyone have any insights?
The proprieter of the MTA used to post on here. It seemed a lovely college with a fantastic ethos, openly published their outcomes and trainign was 2 years. Unless it's changed it was completely privately funded, so my question is is it affordable for you? If it is, then I'd be tempted because if at a later stage your child wants to change career and needs a specific degree then they've still got their entitlement to public funding for a student loan eg if they wanted to train as a Nurse.

Ultimately it;s down to your child, just need to be aware of all the pros and cons of each.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

It was a no yesterday for my DD for Arts Ed. They recalled around 10 people and she noted that they weren't the dancers of the group. She didn't feel it would have been a good fit for her so no bad thing really and a positive experience overall.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:51 am It was a no yesterday for my DD for Arts Ed. They recalled around 10 people and she noted that they weren't the dancers of the group. She didn't feel it would have been a good fit for her so no bad thing really and a positive experience overall.
Sorry to hear this but at least she didnt feel it was the right place although i know that doesn't help x Has she any offers so far?
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Marissa wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:57 pm
Dancemum1973 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:51 am It was a no yesterday for my DD for Arts Ed. They recalled around 10 people and she noted that they weren't the dancers of the group. She didn't feel it would have been a good fit for her so no bad thing really and a positive experience overall.
Sorry to hear this but at least she didnt feel it was the right place although i know that doesn't help x Has she any offers so far?
No not yet. Did bird last week and waiting to hear.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Everything crossed x
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Sorry to hear that,fingers crossed for Bird good news.
dancingdreams
Nominee

Post by dancingdreams »

My daughter has almost finished auditioning and we’re thrilled with the outcome! We went into the process hoping just for something somewhere but she has been offered degree at Wilkes, MT diploma at Conti Barbican, diploma at Tiffany’s and pre-voc at Performers. She also has a recall for LIPA Dance at the end of March. She’s turned down Performers and Tiffany’s and at the moment is fairly set on Wilkes as this was where she loved most out of everywhere. She also loved LIPA so if she manages to get a place she’ll be deciding between LIPA and Wilkes. Does anyone have any experience of either school or any suggestions (also about Conti as this isn’t completely ruled out yet!)??