Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

hewood
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by hewood »

BonfireBelle wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:44 pm My daughter is lucky as she has received degree offers from EDA and Bird (on the day), a Foundation offer from GSA on the day and has a further recall at Arts Ed. The majority of her friends though have been put on to reserve lists. The Colleges seem to be making far fewer offers early on this year than they did 4 years ago when my older daughter was auditioning. I think it makes more sense that they see everybody before making their final decisions although frustrating for those who have to wait for months. Guess it’s the fairest way though ?
Hi my dd has a further recall for Arts Ed, everyone I speak to (apart from here) hasn't heard of it, even her tutors!
go for it
BRIT Award

Post by go for it »

hewood wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:29 pm
BonfireBelle wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:44 pm My daughter is lucky as she has received degree offers from EDA and Bird (on the day), a Foundation offer from GSA on the day and has a further recall at Arts Ed. The majority of her friends though have been put on to reserve lists. The Colleges seem to be making far fewer offers early on this year than they did 4 years ago when my older daughter was auditioning. I think it makes more sense that they see everybody before making their final decisions although frustrating for those who have to wait for months. Guess it’s the fairest way though ?
Hi my dd has a further recall for Arts Ed, everyone I speak to (apart from here) hasn't heard of it, even her tutors!
Hi there,
My dd is a first year BA MT student at Arts Ed. Arts Ed give a further recall if they want to see someone again in one genre.My daughter had a singing recall last year as they wanted to hear her sing a different contemporary song. Some had dance recalls.After her singing recall she still had to wait a few weeks before being told she had a place.
Good luck to your ds and dd for their recalls and congratulations to all who already have offers. =D>
BonfireBelle
Nominee

Post by BonfireBelle »

hewood wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:29 pm
I think its quite unusual but we do know of somebody who had one last year and a lad my DD trains with has also been offered one this year but I think he has accepted a place elsewhere. She hasn't been given a date yet but told it would be in March. Good luck to your DD.
BonfireBelle
Nominee

Post by BonfireBelle »

Hi there,
My dd is a first year BA MT student at Arts Ed. Arts Ed give a further recall if they want to see someone again in one genre.My daughter had a singing recall last year as they wanted to hear her sing a different contemporary song. Some had dance recalls.After her singing recall she still had to wait a few weeks before being told she had a place.
Good luck to your ds and dd for their recalls and congratulations to all who already have offers. =D>
[/quote]

Thank you. My dd hasn't been told what they would like to hear her sing yet but they did say they would send her more information nearer the time. She really enjoyed her day there so is delighted to have the chance to go back again. I hope your dd is enjoying the course.
hewood
BRIT Award

Post by hewood »

BonfireBelle wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:41 pm Hi there,
Thank you. My dd hasn't been told what they would like to hear her sing yet but they did say they would send her more information nearer the time. She really enjoyed her day there so is delighted to have the chance to go back again. I hope your dd is enjoying the course.
[/quote]

Thanks Goforit and good luck BonfireBelle and well done for your dd's successes so far. My dd was told March too and no date yet, this one's for dance, she has one more audition to go at GSA, one reserve place, and one foundation recall - so fingers crossed she will have somewhere to go in September.
sandiek123
BRIT Award

Post by sandiek123 »

My daughter has a confirmed place at The MTA, a reserve list place at Italia Conti and an offer of an audition for Foundation at ArtsEd. I think she has rejected ArtsEd - wanting to get down to full-on training asap. But we have a conflict: she would rather end up with a BA and be in a bigger potential friendship group, whereas I love the ethos of MTA and the fact that it is so individualised and their stats of 100% representation etc. Does anyone have any insights?
Sparkle13
BRIT Award

Post by Sparkle13 »

My daughter has to choose between Laine 3yr Diploma and Bird Degree, does anyone’s dd or ds go or have been to these which would you recommend? Thank you
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

Sparkle13 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:17 pm My daughter has to choose between Laine 3yr Diploma and Bird Degree, does anyone’s dd or ds go or have been to these which would you recommend? Thank you
A great decision to make but I think your daughter may have to think about what she felt about each college. I think when they audition or look around you get a feel for whether a college feels right for you or not. Suppose the cost of each choice will vary too unless lucky enough to be in a position to finance either option? I know for bird degree she can get student finance but for Laine it’s DADA or fees around 18K per year plus living costs. Think both establishments have a very good reputation in the musical theatre industry. Laine will have smaller intake than Bird. Know graduates and students at both colleges who rate both and the graduates from either have been successful in getting work too. Good luck with your decision making!!
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

sandiek123 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:59 pm My daughter has a confirmed place at The MTA, a reserve list place at Italia Conti and an offer of an audition for Foundation at ArtsEd. I think she has rejected ArtsEd - wanting to get down to full-on training asap. But we have a conflict: she would rather end up with a BA and be in a bigger potential friendship group, whereas I love the ethos of MTA and the fact that it is so individualised and their stats of 100% representation etc. Does anyone have any insights?
Congratulations on the offers, don’t have any insight to MTA I’m afraid. What I would say is if the foundation course is at her preferred institution I wouldn’t discount it. The teaching faculty may well be the same as the BA course and therefore the training could be as valuable irrespective of which course she does at this time. My daughter currently doing a foundation course and the experience has been outstanding. Far more contact hours than the first years on the 3 year course. Her progress has been incredible.
Sparkle13
BRIT Award

Post by Sparkle13 »

becmum wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:07 pm
Sparkle13 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:17 pm My daughter has to choose between Laine 3yr Diploma and Bird Degree, does anyone’s dd or ds go or have been to these which would you recommend? Thank you
A great decision to make but I think your daughter may have to think about what she felt about each college. I think when they audition or look around you get a feel for whether a college feels right for you or not. Suppose the cost of each choice will vary too unless lucky enough to be in a position to finance either option? I know for bird degree she can get student finance but for Laine it’s DADA or fees around 18K per year plus living costs. Think both establishments have a very good reputation in the musical theatre industry. Laine will have smaller intake than Bird. Know graduates and students at both colleges who rate both and the graduates from either have been successful in getting work too. Good luck with your decision making!!
Thank you, that’s helpful, she has a funding audition in April for Laine if she doesn’t get a DADA it will be a no to Laine but if she does she will have to decide, she likes them both but after April audition she will decide and give up one xx
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

These decisions are tough. If my dd got a dada she wouldn't get any living allowance whereas bird degree she'd get a fair bit on a loan.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Sadly it's all about the money xxx
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Marissa wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:49 pm Sadly it's all about the money xxx
This infuriates me about this business, the open days/auditions alone cost us over £1000 with hotels, train fares and audition fees, so unfair on the people who can’t afford it (is a stretch for us, money we don’t really have) and then don’t get me started on the course fees some of them charge, it’s ridiculous! But hey, the things we do for our dc’s dreams and if they manage to get a place somewhere, which by the way is supposed to be less odds than Oxford or Cambridge, then it is all worthwhile.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

It would be interesting to see how much we have all spent, I didn't take into consideration any recall expenses such as hotels and train fare. Many in my DD's college will be accepting the cheapest option she said. Her friends have realised how much it has cost their parents.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

People outside of arts don't realise how much it costs or how hard/long/competitive the auditions are. To get an offer in any of these schools is such an achievement xx

And yes it is about money too. Talent as well but there are schools my dd would love to have auditioned for that do get the future jobs but we just couldn't afford it x Saying that I am a big believer in if you work hard you will get where you want to be x