Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

becmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by becmum »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:15 pm Dd's first audition next week at Bird. I'm so nervous for her. Tell me it gets easier!
Wish I could say it gets easier but personally I found it all very stressful. My DD auditioned last year and she enjoyed the audition days but I was very nervous for her. She decided on a foundation year this year as was only 15 when she auditioned...this year she’s doing all the auditions solo as already living down in London so I will be anxiously waiting at home to hear how things went. Good luck with the process🤞X
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

becmum wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:44 pm
Dancemum1973 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:15 pm Dd's first audition next week at Bird. I'm so nervous for her. Tell me it gets easier!
Wish I could say it gets easier but personally I found it all very stressful. My DD auditioned last year and she enjoyed the audition days but I was very nervous for her. She decided on a foundation year this year as was only 15 when she auditioned...this year she’s doing all the auditions solo as already living down in London so I will be anxiously waiting at home to hear how things went. Good luck with the process🤞X
Thanks! I am taking her to 4. Hubby is taking her to one and her dance teacher to another. She is nearly 18 but wouldn't want to go on her own. I'm glad it's not just me that is finding it stressful.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I have been to two with mine and rest she has done on her own due to family commitments.
She has been fine on her own,I do wonder if I make her more nervous, I know I get on her nerves, lol. We have recall at GSA on 8th and staying up the night before.
It seems to gave gone a but quiet audition wise,until the next burst of activity.
daisy1
GRAMMY Award

Post by daisy1 »

I reckon it does get easier - for the kids! They get into their stride and mostly can do the same material for each audition, so apart from nerves they do know what they’re doing. Don’t get me wrong, they work blooming hard for it, I’ve never seen DD so focussed and driven as she has been this year. I’m in awe of them all, especially balancing auditions with A levels :shock: For us...no easier! It’s the waiting for the results afterwards that does my head in ](*,)
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

lotsolaffs wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:58 pm I have been to two with mine and rest she has done on her own due to family commitments.
She has been fine on her own,I do wonder if I make her more nervous, I know I get on her nerves, lol. We have recall at GSA on 8th and staying up the night before.
It seems to gave gone a but quiet audition wise,until the next burst of activity.
It's quite a trek for most of them for us with being in Sheffield.
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

I took my DD to all of them last year but reckon I probably made her more nervous..what with checking her bag all the time etc, she’s going with friends off her course to all of her auditions as they have mostly all got the same dates!
Sparkle13
BRIT Award

Post by Sparkle13 »

Amazing news, my dd received a degree offer from Bird today, we are so pleased and excited, she has dada auditions at Laine in April, does anyone know if she does get a dada for Laine would she definitely get universal credit for housing costs, trying to weigh up the financial pros and cons of both :D :D
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I would say she definitely won't get Universal Credit unless she falls into any of the categories that enable her to receive it.
We would take a degree over a DADA - congratulations!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:15 pm
lotsolaffs wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:58 pm I have been to two with mine and rest she has done on her own due to family commitments.
It's quite a trek for most of them for us with being in Sheffield.
It's all so expensive, especially with recalls but I suppose I shouldn't moan about that!
Sparkle13
BRIT Award

Post by Sparkle13 »

lotsolaffs wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:19 pm I would say she definitely won't get Universal Credit unless she falls into any of the categories that enable her to receive it.
We would take a degree over a DADA - congratulations!
Thank you, it is so expensive and having student finance helps, I did a calculation on line as if she was living in Epsom and it said she would get it but others have told me can’t access while on this course, all confusing, thanks again for your advice xx
DadofACP
Nominee

Post by DadofACP »

After 3 no's and a recall for PPA from my son's pre christmas auditions, he had his first post christmas audition yesterday at Italia Conti and today has been offered a place. He is buzzing and we are so proud. We have Trinty, Ppa recall, Perfomers, Leeds College of Music and Bird auditions planned in Feb, but wonder if any of these will be as good as Italia Conti for him. The only fear with Italia Conti is cost of living in London and timing of their move.
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

Sparkle13 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:41 pm Amazing news, my dd received a degree offer from Bird today, we are so pleased and excited, she has dada auditions at Laine in April, does anyone know if she does get a dada for Laine would she definitely get universal credit for housing costs, trying to weigh up the financial pros and cons of both :D :D
Congratulations to your DD on her offer. My DD on foundation at Laine and they can get housing benefit, they obviously have to declare if they have thousands in the bank, but we were told that diploma students aren’t entitled to it anymore. Historically they could claim but now only foundation get it as it’s classed as a 6th form conversion course.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Sparkle13 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:41 pm Amazing news, my dd received a degree offer from Bird today, we are so pleased and excited, she has dada auditions at Laine in April, does anyone know if she does get a dada for Laine would she definitely get universal credit for housing costs, trying to weigh up the financial pros and cons of both :D :D
Info on Dada contribution and how much if any help she would get for living/accommodation costs below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... demic-year
Sparkle13
BRIT Award

Post by Sparkle13 »

DadofACP wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:19 pm After 3 no's and a recall for PPA from my son's pre christmas auditions, he had his first post christmas audition yesterday at Italia Conti and today has been offered a place. He is buzzing and we are so proud. We have Trinty, Ppa recall, Perfomers, Leeds College of Music and Bird auditions planned in Feb, but wonder if any of these will be as good as Italia Conti for him. The only fear with Italia Conti is cost of living in London and timing of their move.
Congratulations to your DS my daughter had a friend who went to Italia Conti and loved every minute. :D
Sparkle13
BRIT Award

Post by Sparkle13 »

becmum wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:51 pm
Congratulations to your DD on her offer. My DD on foundation at Laine and they can get housing benefit, they obviously have to declare if they have thousands in the bank, but we were told that diploma students aren’t entitled to it anymore. Historically they could claim but now only foundation get it as it’s classed as a 6th form conversion course.
That’s a shame as living in London is so costly, thank you for the information, really useful x