Auditioning for 2020 entry

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: Auditioning for 2020 entry

Post by islandofsodor »

One college did tell us that as long as we confirmed the place dd would be awarded an income dependent school scholarship if she was not awarded a Dada. It was a toughie as it wasn't her first choice college so we didn't confirm and luckily she got a Dada at her first choice.
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

jasmine0323 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:51 pm Can anyone suggest the nearest hotel/guest house to Bird College for audition day - nearest and best value I’ve found is the Travel Lodge - 11 min walk to Bird - Thought I’d ask before booking :-)
There’s the premier inn which is just near the train station which is around a 5-10 minute walk to bird...might be slightly more expensive than the travelodge but ideal if using the train as can leave luggage there all day then pick up on way to station 🚉
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

jasmine0323 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:51 pm Can anyone suggest the nearest hotel/guest house to Bird College for audition day - nearest and best value I’ve found is the Travel Lodge - 11 min walk to Bird - Thought I’d ask before booking :-)
Hi

I live in a Sidcup and DD goes to Bird. There’s a Premier Inn at Sidcup Station, literally 2 mins from the college, The Travelodge is in Sidcup High Street. Not far at all, so either are fine, although on a personal note the Premier Inn does seem nicer and there is parking too
jasmine0323
BRIT Award

Post by jasmine0323 »

Munchpot wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:46 pm
Hi

I live in a Sidcup and DD goes to Bird. There’s a Premier Inn at Sidcup Station, literally 2 mins from the college, The Travelodge is in Sidcup High Street. Not far at all, so either are fine, although on a personal note the Premier Inn does seem nicer and there is parking too
Thanks for the replies - Premier inn all booked :-)
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:44 pm
Dancemum1973 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:55 pm That's cheap! We have
a friend at Bird this year and she pays £175 a week no food or bills!
I was going to say are you sure that’s not per week! My daughter pays £420 with bills at Performers (not food) but some are paying over £500, £250 in Surrey seems unbelievably cheap but would be nice if it’s correct!
My son at Guildford is renting with several friends. £500 each per month excluding bills and he tells me this is standard/reasonable. We need to top up maintenance loan slightly just for rent then give him enough for food. He works 1/2 evenings per week when he can to top up.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

I wish these colleges would give some rough ideas of rent costs on their websites, Universities have costs in the prospectus’s. It’s so hard if you get offered a place somewhere to then find you can’t afford to send your child there. Thank goodness for this blog do the colleges’ job!
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:29 pm I wish these colleges would give some rough ideas of rent costs on their websites, Universities have costs in the prospectus’s. It’s so hard if you get offered a place somewhere to then find you can’t afford to send your child there. Thank goodness for this blog do the colleges’ job!
I think part of the problem is that most colleges don’t have their own accommodation so publishing costs is very difficult

Right move do have a student area to look up places near to the address of the college
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Munchpot wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:54 pm
MygirlsloveMT wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:29 pm I wish these colleges would give some rough ideas of rent costs on their websites, Universities have costs in the prospectus’s. It’s so hard if you get offered a place somewhere to then find you can’t afford to send your child there. Thank goodness for this blog do the colleges’ job!
I think part of the problem is that most colleges don’t have their own accommodation so publishing costs is very difficult

Right move do have a student area to look up places near to the address of the college
I have a friend whose daughter is at Bristol Uni studying Architecture and her accommodation is also very expensive. And another at Nottingham Trent still more than I had imagined! I'm still thinking back to my uni days paying £35 a week all in!
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Dancemum1973 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:40 pm

I have a friend whose daughter is at Bristol Uni studying Architecture and her accommodation is also very expensive. And another at Nottingham Trent still more than I had imagined! I'm still thinking back to my uni days paying £35 a week all in!
Yes, my friend’s daughter is looking at what I call ‘normal’ Uni’s and bizarrely Nottingham is one of the most expensive. I just think that the MT colleges must have a rough idea of what all their students pay to give as a guideline, or would if they asked them. I just have this awful feeling that dd will be fortunate enough to get a place somewhere and then we won’t be able to afford the accommodation 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️
itsalongshot
BRIT Award

Post by itsalongshot »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:23 pm
Dancemum1973 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:40 pm

Yes, my friend’s daughter is looking at what I call ‘normal’ Uni’s and bizarrely Nottingham is one of the most expensive. I just think that the MT colleges must have a rough idea of what all their students pay to give as a guideline, or would if they asked them. I just have this awful feeling that dd will be fortunate enough to get a place somewhere and then we won’t be able to afford the accommodation 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️
My dc is in London and we pay £190 per week but that does include breakfast and an evening meal, which has been a godsend actually.
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

I was going to say are you sure that’s not per week! My daughter pays £420 with bills at Performers (not food) but some are paying over £500, £250 in Surrey seems unbelievably cheap but would be nice if it’s correct!
My DS is in his first year at Guildhall and the university accommodation is £185 per week, inc bills but no food.

Ouch.
Dancemum1973
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dancemum1973 »

Yorkshirepudding wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:02 pm
My DS is in his first year at Guildhall and the university accommodation is £185 per week, inc bills but no food.

Ouch.
It's mad! Unless you have no money or loads of money you are pretty screwed funding wise! Even on some of the degrees for MT.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Maybe we should start a costs thread, everyone can put what their child pays in rent for people to sift through lol. Seriously though it’s such a minefield, at least in London you get more loan but then how the maintenance loan works is itself a whole new thread! I’m just hoping and praying that dd gets in at Performers where she’s doing pre-voc, by the sounds of it I think it’s one of the cheapest rents and not that far from London, stick to what you know and all that although I doubt we will be that fortunate! Nothing is ever that simple is it? And yes, it the middle people who lose out again.
MTDreams
GRAMMY Award

Post by MTDreams »

Hi, can anyone recommend a hotel near Arts Ed? I’ve been looking but can’t work out which hotels are near enough to walk. Thank you :D
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

We stayed at the Premier Inn in Chiswick - about 20 mins walk. Seemed very reasonable. x