Pre-Vocational Performers College 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Pre-Vocational Performers College 2019

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Thought I would start this thread to see if anyone else’s DC is starting the Pre-Vocational course at Performers this September? My DD is and is struggling to find a Freshers page anywhere yet to join, keen to find other people on the course and possibly link up with a few for when the accommodation pack comes out.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Re: Pre-Vocational Performers College 2019

Post by lyndahill »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:55 am Thought I would start this thread to see if anyone else’s DC is starting the Pre-Vocational course at Performers this September? My DD is and is struggling to find a Freshers page anywhere yet to join, keen to find other people on the course and possibly link up with a few for when the accommodation pack comes out.
I have PM'd you.x
pixie1
Nominee

Post by pixie1 »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:55 am Thought I would start this thread to see if anyone else’s DC is starting the Pre-Vocational course at Performers this September? My DD is and is struggling to find a Freshers page anywhere yet to join, keen to find other people on the course and possibly link up with a few for when the accommodation pack comes out.
Hi, my daughter is starting this course too in September, I don’t believe she’s found a freshers page either yet!!x
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

pixie1 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:45 am
Hi, my daughter is starting this course too in September, I don’t believe she’s found a freshers page either yet!!x
I’m wondering if it comes out afterwards but my daughter was hoping to befriend someone on the same course before the accommodation pack came out so they could look together, nicer than having to share with people you don’t know. Does your DD know anyone else on the course?
pixie1
Nominee

Post by pixie1 »

MygirlsloveMT wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:17 pm
pixie1 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:45 am
I’m wondering if it comes out afterwards but my daughter was hoping to befriend someone on the same course before the accommodation pack came out so they could look together, nicer than having to share with people you don’t know. Does your DD know anyone else on the course?
Hi Ive sent you a pm x
Phoenix
Nominee

Post by Phoenix »

Hi, I would also like to hear from anyone starting at Performers in September, especially those on the degree course.
Thank you.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Anyone else doing this course? Daughter is keen to hook up with anyone looking to flat share, she doesn't mind sharing with degree students too. As far as I can gather the accomodation packs are coming out at the end of this month so would be good to get a group up before then.
Phoenix
Nominee

Post by Phoenix »

My son is starting the degree course in September.
Dance54321
Nominee

Post by Dance54321 »

My daughter is starting the prevoc in september too, shes also in contact with another girl shes met over instagram x
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Dance54321 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:03 pm My daughter is starting the prevoc in september too, shes also in contact with another girl shes met over instagram x
Sent you a PM
Duncemum
BRIT Award

Post by Duncemum »

Hi Everyone

My DD has a place to start the pre-voc in September 2020. She has another option - EDA degree, and is on the waiting list for Bird. So I would be interested to hear the student and parent perspective on how the pre-voc course has gone, what their destinations are for 2020 and if they were in my DD's place now, what would they do?
Thanks! X
smallbythesea
BRIT Award

Post by smallbythesea »

Duncemum wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:52 pm Hi Everyone

My DD has a place to start the pre-voc in September 2020. She has another option - EDA degree, and is on the waiting list for Bird. So I would be interested to hear the student and parent perspective on how the pre-voc course has gone, what their destinations are for 2020 and if they were in my DD's place now, what would they do?
Thanks! X
Where did she enjoy? Where did she feel "at home"? And also, where is affordable? What is her end goal and will the college she chooses help her on her way to fulfil that goal?

My dd didn't do pre voc so I have no experience of that I'm afraid. Xx
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

My dd is on the pre-voc course as we speak (currently from home) and is loving it, couldn’t recommend it more for the experience and out of the 49 on the course I think most have been offered places elsewhere. Dd was offered a place at Performers on the degree (they still have to audition like all others and scores are worked out the same) and also a degree place at Wilkes. She has chosen to go to Wilkes, just because she absolutely fell in love with the place and felt more at home, nothing against Performers but she also preferred where Wilkes is, a bit more going on.
I have to say though, from a personal point of view, if she had been offered a degree place anywhere the year before then she knew she would have taken that over Pre-Voc but that is personal to each person, there’s nothing to say your dd wouldn’t only get degree at EDA again next year and then you’ve spent £14k to be where she would’ve been this year anyway, or even worse get no decent offers (a few on the course have no offers). Performers have also really upped their intake this year, on the 2020-21 chat there are 190 members, think 50 are on Pre-Voc so think class sizes will be bigger.
In summary what I am saying is that Performers Pre-Voc IS amazing and they’re so nice but if it was me (or my dd) I would defo go for the degree offer.
dancingdreams
Nominee

Post by dancingdreams »

Duncemum wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:52 pm Hi Everyone

Thanks! X
My dd was offered this course this year and has decided to take wilkes degree instead. Her main reason for not taking a foundation was that she felt she’d end up in the same place just a year later and £7,500 spent as would have still preferred to go to Wilkes. I know one of her friends has decided to take up a foundation this year because of Covid and would rather start without any uncertainty next year which could be something to consider?? Some people from her dance school took the performers pre voc over degree/diploma offers a few years ago and didn’t enjoy it at all (one dropped out) but I’m certain that is not a reflection of the college but rather that they didn’t feel dance college in general was the place for them. Other than that I’ve heard amazing things about the course! Personally my dd would take up the degree offer but I think if she isn’t too keen on EDA it could be an option?
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Something to bear in mind is that Performers is changing a lot from September, they’re going from a First year intake of 120 to 185, they are extending to account for this but it is still a big jump, and apparently the first years don’t get half terms as this is when they’ll have lectures, I think I’d definitely be leaning towards the degree offer!