6th form courses

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

6th form courses

Post by Hilltop »

Can anyone tell me the difference between the ‘Cambridge Extended Technical Diploma in Musical Theatre‘ and the ‘Btec National Level 3 Extended Diploma in Performing Arts’?

Are they the same or different? How do they compare?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: 6th form courses

Post by islandofsodor »

They are just different exam boards. Schools and colleges choose the exam board they are registered with or that they feel offers the best syllabus/assessment methods/resources/teacher training CPD/they are most familiar with. Some teachers are a bit disullusioned with Pearson and their resources (who offer the Btec so have moved across to Cambridge/VCert/RSA.

There will be slight differences/emphasis in syllabus but then again there are usually core and optional modules that vary according to the teachers delivering the courses anyway.
Chelsie68
BRIT Award

Post by Chelsie68 »

I’m interested in this thread, as my daughter is thinking of a level 3 extended diploma as an alternative to A levels. One college we visited has recently swapped from Btec to UAL - they said they preferred the syllabus when we asked why, but wouldn’t go into details.
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

That’s interesting, I didn’t realise there were different exam boards and also different modules, etc that the teachers could chose. Definitely something to bear in mind when looking nearer the time. Thanks for the replies.