CAT scheme or musical theatre?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Splitz
Nominee

CAT scheme or musical theatre?

Post by Splitz »

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum so apologies if I've posted in the wrong place or this topic has come up before (despite searching!)

My DD is 12 and (at the moment) has her heart set on a performing career - I realise it's very early days!! however not really sure what's the right direction for her... She loves MT especially dance, which is her strongest of the triple threat. She does several hours of dance a week, plus a MT Saturday class and singing lessons. She was accepted onto a CAT scheme last year but didn't take it up for various reasons, and has also been accepted into BYMT for this year.

She would like to audition for CAT at the Place, but if she gets in she would have to give up her MT class and tap class on Saturdays.
Just wondering if you think she should keep going with her MT and tap to maintain breadth of training at this stage, or (if accepted) take up CAT to really hone her dance skills for the future? Does CAT experience offer a particular advantage in getting into perf arts schools? We wouldn't get much (if any) funding so it would be expensive for us - best to wait a couple more years till she really knows what she wants, and stick with local training, even though it isn't anywhere near as rigorous as CAT?
Thanks for your thoughts :)
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: CAT scheme or musical theatre?

Post by islandofsodor »

CAT schemes are excellent but it will be very focused on ballet and contemporary. You also have to ensure you have full commitment, is your dd prepared to give up several days of her half term, Easter & summer holidays for the intensives. DO you live in inner London? If so she will be expected to do one evening a week there as well as the Saturday.

The schemes do have an excellent track record of getting students into dance colleges but I'm not sure about musical theatre. How good is the MT & dancetraining she is getting at the moment?
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

What does your dd's dance teacher recommend? (You say she dances during the week) She may well be doing ballet to a high standard and not necessarily need a CAT scheme. There's certainly no harm in auditioning and then considering your options if she is accepted. I believe the CAT scheme at the Place is really good - some satellite linked schemes less so. And yes - big emphasis on contemporary - no musical theatre. Maybe research your other local options for MT or tap training during the week. Tap though can be picked up at a later date if needed. By 12 my DD knew her passion was MT so we turned down a CAT audition and stopped Ballet Associate classes (although we are fortunate and have an excellent local ballet provision). Your DD might have a good idea of where her heart is already! But certainly she would need to make the CAT scheme at the Place her 100% priority if she did it. Good luck with whatever she chooses to do!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I think London Studio Centre run an MT associates which could blend the 2?
Splitz
Nominee

Post by Splitz »

Thanks for your replies.
DD's heart lies in both MT and ALL dance (esp contemporary), which is why she's not sure which way to go at this stage!
However amo185 you are right in that CAT would take 100% commitment. No time or money left for MT!
Katymac - London Studio Centre looks perfect for her - it's from age 14 so definitely something to consider in a couple of years.

DD's dance teacher thinks she should stick with the MT and local dance classes to keep all options open - but I'm not sure if she's just saying that so she doesn't lose her! Having said that, she did say that if DD has to do CAT, it should be at the Place.
The problem is that DD's local dance training is a bit hit and miss - she feels ready for more of a challenge and to mix with like-minded people - which she would get from CAT.
She is also a bit disillusioned with her local MT class. However I've recently discovered Emil Dale does Saturday classes near us. Would that be a good option do you think? And keep going with the local dance classes for now, plus holiday courses etc?

As you say amo185, she can go and audition anyway at the Place and then we'll see. I expect it's highly competitive, so we may not have a decision to make!
Splitz
Nominee

Post by Splitz »

Just want to add what a fab forum this is. So great to have a sounding board!
Hopefully at some point I'll be able to offer some pearls of wisdom too :D
Barton285
BRIT Award

Post by Barton285 »

There is Hothouse dance which teachers contemporary dance and is one of the satellite linked schools mentioned previously which I think may be in your area if you are near EDSA. I've sent you a pm with a bit more detail.