Btec extended diplomas

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Chelsie68
BRIT Award

Btec extended diplomas

Post by Chelsie68 »

My daughter is in year 9. Reading posts on this forum have made me think about options other than staying in at her present school for sixth form after GCSEs. One option is to stay where she is, continue at her current dance school, and take Alevels (one of which could be replaced with a one A level equivalent BTEC in performing arts - however this is a proposed new course at her school, which would only be running for the first time from September 2019 and so would not be very established by the time she has to choose).

Another option would be to take an fully funded extended BTEC diploma in Musical Theatre (3 A level equivalent) at another local high school or at a college locally. We are in travelling distance of both South Essex college in Southend or Havering college. Does anyone know anything about the quality of the courses there? Or does anyone have advice regarding the BTEC/A levels route?

I’d be grateful if anyone could share their experience!
2good2hurry
BRIT Award

Re: Btec extended diplomas

Post by 2good2hurry »

Hi Chelsie

My daughter is continuing with A levels in September. Music, English and History. She will wrap around all her existing singing, dance and drama clubs / training and also try to get in to BYMT or NYMT for the Summer. For her that is right. She is absolutely certain that Musical theatre is where she wants to be but is also aware of the importance (for her) of a back up plan. After 6th Form she wants to get into conservatoire training and I think it is usual to ask for 2 A levels.

As I say, this is the route that is right for her, others may have different views.
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Chelsie68 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:39 pm My daughter is in year 9. Reading posts on this forum have made me think about options other than staying in at her present school for sixth form after GCSEs. One option is to stay where she is, continue at her current dance school, and take Alevels (one of which could be replaced with a one A level equivalent BTEC in performing arts - however this is a proposed new course at her school, which would only be running for the first time from September 2019 and so would not be very established by the time she has to choose).

Another option would be to take an fully funded extended BTEC diploma in Musical Theatre (3 A level equivalent) at another local high school or at a college locally. We are in travelling distance of both South Essex college in Southend or Havering college. Does anyone know anything about the quality of the courses there? Or does anyone have advice regarding the BTEC/A levels route?

I’d be grateful if anyone could share their experience!
My DD went to a performing arts college for 4 years (14 to 18) and did BTEC extended diploma in the final 2 years. They also allowed them to do an academic A level which I was glad of. She is now at one of the top colleges doing a degree in MT. Dont know about your schools but if going into MT then a BTEC is great and takes the pressure off regarding A level results in the August. They have enough pressure just getting into these colleges without the grades too.

She knew her grades as she went through the course with the BTEC so knew she had enough points to get in.
Chelsie68
BRIT Award

Post by Chelsie68 »

Thanks for both these replies - great points in favour of both options! We have time to think about it, so will try to make early visits to open days so we are aware of what the different options entail. I’m assuming the BTEC will have equal standing to A levels and do will not prevent her from continuing on to university to study MT if she is not successful in gaining a place at a performing arts college.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Just to add to the confusion of routes open to your DD, my DD auditioned in year 11 and ended up with a funded place at The Hammond where she studied both 2 A Levels and the level 6 Trinity diploma, graduating aged 19 and working as a performer ever since.
Chelsie68
BRIT Award

Post by Chelsie68 »

The Hammond looks fantastic, but I don’t think my daughter will be ready to live away from home at 16. She’s one of the youngest in her year group and a real home bird! Could be a great option for degree though.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

My daughter is doing the musical theatre degree at The Hammond and I will say there is a very nice family feel x
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Hi - my dd who is academic and did very well with her GCSE's but was also dancing full out every evening and all weekend decided not to do A Levels but did a very good BTEC Extended Diploma in Performing Arts at our local college. It was a good course and she ended up with a Distinction equivalent to 3 A Levels but it didn't push her enough and I kind of wish she could have done A levels instead as she was getting amazing local training as well.

However its exhausting - add on top driving lessons and auditon prep! Just look very carefully at the colleges ask lots of questions about where students have gone on to train just to make sure she wont be bored etc.

My daughter ended up with offers from all the colleges she auditioned for this time last year and is now in her 1st year at Laine Theatre Arts and having a ball. She went to Laine as a dancer but says the triple threat training is amazing. She wasn't ready to go at 16 - it's not easy trying to decided - good luck x
Chelsie68
BRIT Award

Post by Chelsie68 »

This is great advice. My daughter is academically appropriate for Alevels, and has an interest in studying Psychology alongside English Lit and either Drama A level (or, possibly one A level equivalent Btec in performing arts). She is very happy at her school with good friends and I am tempted to leave her be where she’s comfortable.

However, I do wonder if she’d be more likely to achieve her ultimate goal of going to a performing arts college if she did the extended diploma? She’s a strong but not outstanding dancer (singing is her strength) and she’s going to need all the help she can get ! t’s a dilemma!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

I will add that my dd did alevels, English,psychology and drama. She is doing a musical theatre degree and she has noticed that she is finding the written side of it a lot easier then she thought. I feel alevels prepared her for that side well.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Marissa wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:19 am I will add that my dd did alevels, English,psychology and drama. She is doing a musical theatre degree and she has noticed that she is finding the written side of it a lot easier then she thought. I feel alevels prepared her for that side well.
A lot of the students do find the written side of the degree hard so you may be right.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Marissa wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:19 am I will add that my dd did alevels, English,psychology and drama. She is doing a musical theatre degree and she has noticed that she is finding the written side of it a lot easier then she thought. I feel alevels prepared her for that side well.
My DS has said the same. He finds that having done A level English, he can write course assignments much easier and quicker than some of the other students who haven't had the same practice.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

My DS will be doing an extended diploma in performing arts come September at our local college. It is absolutely the right choice for him as he is dyslexic and is just desperate to get out of school. If he does well he has the chance to get 3 grade A A’level Equivalents, something he would never stand a chance of with A’levels. He is perfectly bright, just struggles with Conventional learning environments. He may very well struggle with formal assignments if he goes on to study degree level Drama/MT but he will be a couple of years older, and more able to push through after a bit of distance. It was absolutely a no brainier for us. However, if I had a very academic child I would encourage A’levels as it will open more doors should plans and career paths change.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Can someone clarify please how can doing A levels open up more doors, should a dc decide to change careers later on. What confuses me is if the Btec Extend diploma is equivalent to 3 A levels, what advantage is there on doing 3 A levels, apart from the academic side? From what I understand, the “equivalent” is in UCAS points, so if you have the equivalent of 3 A levels in UCAS points, what is the difference? Does studying certain subjects at A level, for example English literature give you more UCAS points than doing a Btec? I hope that makes sense. I wasn’t born in this country so I’m still trying to understand how the system works. Thank you.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Ditzi wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:18 pm Can someone clarify please how can doing A levels open up more doors, should a dc decide to change careers later on. What confuses me is if the Btec Extend diploma is equivalent to 3 A levels, what advantage is there on doing 3 A levels, apart from the academic side? From what I understand, the “equivalent” is in UCAS points, so if you have the equivalent of 3 A levels in UCAS points, what is the difference? Does studying certain subjects at A level, for example English literature give you more UCAS points than doing a Btec? I hope that makes sense. I wasn’t born in this country so I’m still trying to understand how the system works. Thank you.
I don’t think it does open more doors unless a particular place wants A levels. From my experience with two daughters both at uni, one did Btec and the other A levels. I have found the daughter who did a levels coping with essay work even though they are just as intelligent. The only other thing is with A levels you may have more options to branch out into different areas/ subjects. Really it depends on your child, they all cope differently and there is no right answer x