changing track at 17 (Y13/repeating Y12) options? Cambs area

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Carozd
Nominee

changing track at 17 (Y13/repeating Y12) options? Cambs area

Post by Carozd »

Hi, new poster here!

My lower 6th daughter (17 shortly) started at her local 6th form this year doing French A, MT Btec, Music Btec. She's not getting on there and wants to focus on just MT. She'd be changing in sept 19 so still eligible for L3 funding as she wouldn't have completed any courses. An 'ideal' goal would be Trinity Laben dip or degree. She's a singer rather than a dancer (Grade 9 music GCSE, Grade 8 voice Trinity currently in progress). I'd love your opinions on the options we have found:

Stagecoach (hometown, Cambridge): Btec+Foundation course - one year, only 1 A level equiv so would rule out any MT degree and some MT diplomas. Large top up needed £5k (loan from my parents?). Living at home.
2nd option, potential Dada funded L6 3 year course with them. No A level equiv (audition dependent).

Arts One (Milton Keynes): Btec MT, 2 years equiv to 3 A levels. Keeps all 18+ options open. Living at her grandparents + 1.5-2h daily commute in. Non-compulsory top up (uniform + £20-60 weekly for private lessons non compulsory, so max £2500 ish/year plus travel).

Stageworks (St Neots): Btec + Foundation but website isn't clear on how many A level equiv the Btec is. Top up fees unclear from website. Living with grandparents weekdays.
2nd option, potential Dada funded L6 3 year course with them. No A level equiv (audition dependent).

Others such as Emil Dale are too expensive as no commuting options available.

Thoughts? Other options? We'd be reliant on grandparent loans for any course fees and wouldn't couldn't sustain 3 years of drama school fees or similar so it's degree or Dada or bust for 18+. Many thanks!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Re: changing track at 17 (Y13/repeating Y12) options? Cambs area

Post by Marissa »

It’s very hard to say what’s best or what’s right in this business x Personally I liked the fact my daughter did her a levels. English, Psychology and drama. I felt that no matter what she will have these to help her in the future esp if she changed direction. I also feel that the essay writing in these has helped her immensely in her essay writing in her degree. Which option does your dd want to do?
lynne
GRAMMY Award

Post by lynne »

Hi,
Just a thought, some places offer BTEC extended level 3 (equivalent to 3 A level) I know Italia conti did last year (Guildford not London). If she lives away from home you may be able to get housing benefit part of universal credit. Look into it all carefully before making a decision/ruling places out.
My daughter went to conti in Guildford and hb almost covered her rent which was cheaper than commuting. I would try to save as much as possible at this stage as the degree/diploma stage is very expensive even with student loans. (depending on family income you may not get enough living expenses part of the loan.)
lynne
lynne
GRAMMY Award

Post by lynne »

ps)
Some places offer fully funded BTECs
Carozd
Nominee

Post by Carozd »

I’d love her to continue with A levels but it’s not what she wants and is affecting her health. Living away from family wouldn’t be an option at the moment in terms of her mental health, so if anyone has opinions on the institutions mentioned I’d really welcome them - clearly they’re not Trinity/GSA etc so I don’t have any idea of the quality of training offered.

Thanks!
lynne
GRAMMY Award

Post by lynne »

have you looked at bodyworks in cambridge (not sure who they take in terms of age). Im afraid i don't know anything about the ones mentioned
Carozd
Nominee

Post by Carozd »

Yes, they are on our list as we live in Cambridge:)
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

I don’t know the places but suggest that you both go to watch any showcases or performances they do. Check where current and ex students go afterwards as well. Also attend showcases from better known colleges with the same level qualifications so you can compare the standard.
I have heard of Stageright not far from you but I think it’s mainly dance. I’m guessing you have already checked out the 6th form colleges in Cambridge?
Good luck and hope your daughters mental health improves x
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

You haven't mentioned Bodyworks but I know you can go there post-GCSE.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Also if you can commute to MK couldn't you also commute to Emil Dale?
Carozd
Nominee

Post by Carozd »

EDut: where I said stagecoach Cambridge I meant bodyworks :) any views on them?

Milton Keynes is on a bus route from my parents’ house, hitching isn’t so Emil Dale isn’t reachable. Even Milton Keynes would be a 60 min then a 20 min bus so I have reservations about the likelihood of that being workable.
Carozd
Nominee

Post by Carozd »

Thanks Rose20 yes she’s at 6th form in Cambridge at present and doesn’t want to start at any of the other options. I’ll check out the other name you mentioned thanks
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

There is also Sceneii not that far from Cambridge. I don’t know much about them but you could have a look.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Bodyworks has a good reputation - for the level 6 diploma at least - could be worth a try at an audition for September start. I don't think they have finished auditions yet. I don't know anything about other courses there and should say my DD is a dancer and the people she knows who trained there were also dancers.

Stageworks in St Neots we looked at as a possibility for DD as she could also have lived with grandparents during the week. We had seen them at MoveIt and been impressed. I think there are no fees for the btec (if you are eligible) - that was for most of the hours each week and the top up was for an extra 6 or 7 hours training. I cant remember cost but it was about £5-6k for btec + top up when our friend was looking 3 years ago so it cant be that much for just the top up surely?
. My DD was offered a funded place on a level 6 course elsewhere so never ended up auditioning so I cant help any further on what the process involves/what it is like as no personal experience
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

But Hitchin is on a train route from Cambridge. Fast train is 34 mins . With a YP railcard it would be about £18 a day assuming she travels peak time in the morning, but I imagine you can get a season ticket.