Fully funded BA MT Sept 2020 - Advice sought

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Barton285
BRIT Award

Re: Fully funded BA MT Sept 2020 - Advice sought

Post by Barton285 »

riverdancefan wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:05 pm So far on this years 6th form\ gap year at EDA, and this is only what I actually know of
We have the following offers ..
recalls for MV
A fully funded degree course at Urdang
X 2 degree offers for Arts Ed
Offers for the new degree course at EDA
Quite a few foundations at MV and ArtsEd
Recalls at GSA
Rose Bruford
And I don’t even know about the acting courses or Bird, Laines etc as people still waiting.

I think there will be quite a few performers in quite a few programmes in the next few years that will name EDA as their college
Thank you for this years update Riverdancefan always love to hear.
DadofACP
Nominee

Post by DadofACP »

Re Emil Dale - Great advice received on this place and looked into it a little more based on your great comments and will definitely put this one in the mix, as they tick most of the boxes. In fact they already have booking available for auditions for Sept 2020 start for Sept & Oct 19. Do people think it is too soon to book these or will they be filled up quickly ? Also does anyone have any experience of accommodation for Emil Dale and would it be OK to get around if my son can not drive ? They have recently mailed within the last week for 100 places for a chance to attend a free west end workshop on 31/8/19, so I have asked my son to apply.

Re Hammond - although perfect location for us as less than an hours drive from our house, bit too remote for my son's liking and no close enough to London, where he still thinks it all happens.

Re Chester House/London Accomodation - Looking at Chester House an en-suite room comes up about £9k per annum, which is £1k over the maintenance loan we think we would get of £8k. We do not want to stretch ourselves too much, especially with another son about to start uni this year studying Media Production. At this stage will not rule out Trinity if Macmillan house is £7k, so will chat to them @ Move it.

I think with GSA, Bird & Emil Dale as aspiration targets & PPA & Performers, as back ups (& maybe Brighton Academy. although cost of living for Brighton may be too high), we have enough to focus on in the short term.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

DadofACP wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:43 pm Re Emil Dale - Great advice received on this place and looked into it a little more based on your great comments and will definitely put this one in the mix, as they tick most of the boxes. In fact they already have booking available for auditions for Sept 2020 start for Sept & Oct 19. Do people think it is too soon to book these or will they be filled up quickly ? Also does anyone have any experience of accommodation for Emil Dale and would it be OK to get around if my son can not drive ? They have recently mailed within the last week for 100 places for a chance to attend a free west end workshop on 31/8/19, so I have asked my son to apply.

I think with GSA, Bird & Emil Dale as aspiration targets & PPA & Performers, as back ups (& maybe Brighton Academy. although cost of living for Brighton may be too high), we have enough to focus on in the short term.

Most of the youngsters don't drive so he should be totally fine. My DS did live in Letchworth for his first year and it was a trek - the walk was 40 mins each way, he lived near a couple of other people so they walked together. oh boy was he fit but it was exhausting. He now lives in Hitchin in a shared house, 10 mins walk. It's all very compact and a lovely town, plus Spoons isn't far which is where they spend A LOT of time as you can imagine ;)

I would book asap as at least you can switch off about it then.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

If he's a good dancer I would still audition at Urdang. He could live slightly further out plus halls can be more expensive than renting a room so he might find something within price range not that far away. DD has a friend there and he is on a tight budget but manages okay. If he did a bit of summer holiday work and managed to save up a bit that could bridge the gap. I wouldn't discount it especially as they aren't doing a fee top up now. He will be audition ready and I would put Bird and Urdang at the top of the affordable London colleges for dance loving boys.
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

Also re Chester House, I wouldn't discount the non ensuite rooms if that makes a difference. If he is in a house share somewhere it won't be ensuite. My son didn't have ensuite at Chester house and it worked out well. There was one toilet and shower per five people (only the same as at home!) and it they don't have ensuite they are not responsible for cleaning it! His brother is an uni and had a non ensuite room in hall for his first year too. He didn't find it a problem. I'm sure the shared toilets etc were kept cleaner than if the boys were cleaning them themselves :D . Remember for the costings at Chester house that the food is included too which helps with other costs.
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

Hi,

My son is currently at Italia Conti on the degree course and living at Chester House in a non-ensuite room. Message me if you need any more info.

He's absolutely loving the course and living in London. Financially London is tough, but Chester House was the best value we found. A lot of the students also have jobs, but that brings its own challenges.
DadofACP
Nominee

Post by DadofACP »

My son applied for the free 1 day west end summer school at Emil Dale on 31/8 yesterday and got accepted as one of the lucky 100. The start of fun times, so thanks again for the Emil Dale heads up.
Chester house makes opens up the way to apply for Urdang, but how easy is it to get a room at Chester House, and if you do not get what is the equivalent fall back?
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

When DS was at Chester House we booked his room in May and there were plenty left. You can always check availability before you accept a place somewhere. Once you put a deposit down the place is yours. The Urdang offers were out way before all the rooms went (but I am going back four years now). Hope this helps.
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

DS applied to Chester House in May last year and got a place no problem. He has suggested that there are spare rooms even now. They have a lot of international students there who aren't always on conventional term times so places do come up. Chester House has a no alcohol policy which I think puts a lot of people off. DS doesn't mind, he just goes round to friends when he wants a drink or for parties and he can doesn't get tempted by a student bar through the week!
DadofACP
Nominee

Post by DadofACP »

Thought I'd post a brief update of our experience at Move-it yesterday, where my son got to partake in 3 dance classes, we spoke to a number of potential colleges about the future and saw some showcases. I will list below the colleges we spoke to :-
1) Performers College - impressive boy's showcase viewed on-line from previous day. Spoke with Principal, who was very nice and also made us aware of the free boys taster day in June, which we will sign up for.
2) Italia Conti - Spoke with a student @ Guilford who seemed very bubbly & passionate, explaining that the beauty of Guidlford is they have their own accommodation, so would appeal more to us then the London option. Not much literarture was given out, but asked for details to send by e-mail.
3) PPA - Of all the prospective colleges we spoke to that day, the young man we spoke to on this stand was the best salesman. He told about about the family atmosphere at this college which was the selling point for him, as well as the in-house agency that gets them jobs whilst working.
4) Bird College - watched a very impressive showcase by this place. Pupil we chatted too was not as passionate as others, but this place still remains top of my son's wish list due to it's reputation.
5) Trinity Laban - Not too sold after our chat with these - lacked passion, but can't put my finger on quite why we were not too impressed. I'm sure others may argue otherwise.
Others were there, but my son does not want to study too far outside London, so ruled out Arden, SLP and Brighton colleges. Also wanted to avoid universities.
Although not attended GSA and Emil Dale remain on our list for definite places for auditions and maybe Urdang due to affordable accommodation advise received through here on previous posts.
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

DadofACP wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:10 pm Thought I'd post a brief update of our experience at Move-it yesterday, where my son got to partake in 3 dance classes, we spoke to a number of potential colleges about the future and saw some showcases. I will list below the colleges we spoke to :-
1) Performers College - impressive boy's showcase viewed on-line from previous day. Spoke with Principal, who was very nice and also made us aware of the free boys taster day in June, which we will sign up for.
2) Italia Conti - Spoke with a student @ Guilford who seemed very bubbly & passionate, explaining that the beauty of Guidlford is they have their own accommodation, so would appeal more to us then the London option. Not much literarture was given out, but asked for details to send by e-mail.
3) PPA - Of all the prospective colleges we spoke to that day, the young man we spoke to on this stand was the best salesman. He told about about the family atmosphere at this college which was the selling point for him, as well as the in-house agency that gets them jobs whilst working.
4) Bird College - watched a very impressive showcase by this place. Pupil we chatted too was not as passionate as others, but this place still remains top of my son's wish list due to it's reputation.
5) Trinity Laban - Not too sold after our chat with these - lacked passion, but can't put my finger on quite why we were not too impressed. I'm sure others may argue otherwise.
Others were there, but my son does not want to study too far outside London, so ruled out Arden, SLP and Brighton colleges. Also wanted to avoid universities.
Although not attended GSA and Emil Dale remain on our list for definite places for auditions and maybe Urdang due to affordable accommodation advise received through here on previous posts.
With Bird, whether they do degree or diploma they do have access to student accommodation at Avery Hill (Check the Uni of Greenwich website for details of costs)
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

Hey there, I completely understand your situation. We could not afford any where like Arts Ed or Mountview either. DD went to GSA to do a BA in MT. its funded by student finance so a very good option financially and it’s in lovely surroundings - it’s very highly competitive to get in though so she was very lucky. You also have to have high grades. My DS is studying a BA in MT at LCM (London College of Music) which is part of the University of West London. Also a course funded by student finance. They have an Agent show case and being in London there are often other opportunities available to them. I should stress though this is not a course for dancers. Although they do dance it is not as much as other schools. The course is suitable for mainly singer/actors.
With DD having now graduated from GSA and DS at LCM I thought it interesting when I saw graduates from both colleges working together in the same show on graduation.
Good luck with what ever you choose
DadofACP
Nominee

Post by DadofACP »

Update on my son.
He attended the Performer's College boys day in June and enjoyed that and was impressed with their premises. He also visited Urdang and Millennium with school. Millennium is out of our budget, but he was very impressed with Urdang and based on previous comments, Chester House would make this an affordable option.
Last weekend (28/8) he attended a free summer school trial day at Emil Dale, which he enjoyed. Last Wednesday he did get an e-mail saying that he impressed the teachers and has been invited back to audition. He has checked with some others he made friends with on the day and only 1 out of 5 got this mail. Not sure how many similar mails they send out, but it has got him excited. The worrying thing about Emil Dale is that, although it says fully funded it does ask for additional costs of £3,000 (not compulsory, but are you at a disadvantage if you do not pay this ??).
Now that he is in his last year of 6th form doing a BTEC in triple performing arts, this is the key year for us and getting ready for auditions.
At present outside of UCAS he will apply to Emil Dale and Performers and through UCAS it will be GSA, Bird, PPA, Urdang.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

DadofACP wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:48 pm Update on my son.
He attended the Performer's College boys day in June and enjoyed that and was impressed with their premises. He also visited Urdang and Millennium with school. Millennium is out of our budget, but he was very impressed with Urdang and based on previous comments, Chester House would make this an affordable option.
Last weekend (28/8) he attended a free summer school trial day at Emil Dale, which he enjoyed. Last Wednesday he did get an e-mail saying that he impressed the teachers and has been invited back to audition. He has checked with some others he made friends with on the day and only 1 out of 5 got this mail. Not sure how many similar mails they send out, but it has got him excited. The worrying thing about Emil Dale is that, although it says fully funded it does ask for additional costs of £3,000 (not compulsory, but are you at a disadvantage if you do not pay this ??).
Now that he is in his last year of 6th form doing a BTEC in triple performing arts, this is the key year for us and getting ready for auditions.
At present outside of UCAS he will apply to Emil Dale and Performers and through UCAS it will be GSA, Bird, PPA, Urdang.
My daughter has just started a Pre-Voc course at Performers and loves it. Before auditions Urdang was her number 1 followed by Bird and then Performers, but after auditions that order totally flipped as she just found Performers so friendly (but still challenging) and felt completely at home there. She has it all to go through again to try for Degree in Sept 2020 but her dream is to still stay at Performers so we can totally recommend it. The moral of my story is that your Son will know from auditions which is right for him, hopefully then he will get the chance to go there, good luck!
Bean1
Nominee

Post by Bean1 »

Hi there
I've been reading the comments on the subject of Urdang BA fees. I'm just a little concerned that as the top up fee which was the subject of a legal challenge has been dropped, has the course content been cut accordingly ? I can't see Urdang being prepared to supply the same number of contact hours they did previously, if students aren't paying the extra 4k. Someone mentioned to me that the top up payed for show term and agency showcases, so if this is missing or is now an optional extra it would make a difference to my DD wanting to go there. Does anyone have concrete information rather than hearsay. Urdang was always tricky to understand over fees. Thanks guys.