RCS

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

RCS

Post by Dodger'smum »

First of all may I wish everyone a very happy new year, espcecially those who are busy auditioning for September intake. Good luck everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone could clue me in a bit on RCS?

DS v interested in their quadruple threat BUT they're a long way from London... or does that matter?
I just recall someone saying agents, like everyone else, are short on time and money these days so why travel afar when they have their pick of excellence on their own doorstep.

Just wondered how true that was, if at all. From what I've read I like their international links and emphasis on the academic too, but I don't know what Glasgow is like and Unistats only shows a 73% statisfaction score.Does quadruple threat dilute the other three threats though? So many questions, so much to learn!!! Any help appreciated, thank you xxx
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Re: RCS

Post by Robin64 »

Happy New Year! It has an excellent reputation and I wanted DD to apply but she really wanted a London college. If your DS plays an instrument well it could be a good option. No harm in applying if you are happy to do the travelling involved. The website looked useful when we were looking last year. Hopefully there is someone on here with more first hand knowledge.
scottishdancer00
BRIT Award

Post by scottishdancer00 »

RCS is actually unfortunately getting a terrible name at the moment.
Despite the fact they would all be able to get full funding due to being Scottish DDs college friends and her aren’t auditioning because of how it appears to be going down hill.
The dance in non existent, they don’t train estill singing as far as I’m aware and all they really had going for them was acting but their fringe reviews the past few years have been dire.
It’s a real shame because it was such a brilliant course and the conservatoire is fantastic as a whole but dd has been told not to bother
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I personally know two of the singing members of staff at RCS and would wholeheartedly reccomend them as teachers. My husband is an Estill CMT and has worked with them and met them at various courses and conferences. (He has no direct connection to RCS)

No singing method ever stands still in time. Jo Estill died several years ago and conducted no new research for quite a time before that. Other teachers and researchers who have continued her work but broken away from the Estill movement (such as Gillyanne Kayes & Jeremy Fisher authors of Singing and the Actor and This Is Voice) have continued to research and a lot of these teachers are adopting thier ideas alongside Estill. Some of Jo's original methods have been found to be not quite accurate (technology and science has obviously moved on since she did her original research). In fact Gillyanne presented to the British Voice Association a presentation called After Estill about how as teachers and voice researchers everyone should always strive to know more and develop new ways of teaching.
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

scottishdancer00 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:19 am RCS is actually unfortunately getting a terrible name at the moment.
Despite the fact they would all be able to get full funding due to being Scottish DDs college friends and her aren’t auditioning because of how it appears to be going down hill.
The dance in non existent, they don’t train estill singing as far as I’m aware and all they really had going for them was acting but their fringe reviews the past few years have been dire.
It’s a real shame because it was such a brilliant course and the conservatoire is fantastic as a whole but dd has been told not to bother
Wow, I didn't expect to hear this and I appreciate the candid insight. I've just revisited this thread as the 2020 auditioning journey is about to begin and feedback like this really highlights what a massive decision it is where to audition, let alone beyond that. Goodness me. Who knew.