Musical Theatre Btec

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Musical Theatre Btec

Post by islandofsodor »

Does anywhere do a Musical Theatre Btec that is not so dance based? Preferably based around the Midlands area and able to give support to a young person with SEN.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Re: Musical Theatre Btec

Post by Proseccoplease »

Starford on Avon has a college that does a range of MT Btecs I believe-not sure how far away that is for you. And don’t know how good they are with SEN.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

That’s quite a distance. We are much further North.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Wrong bit of Midlands! Sorry! Hope you find somewhere understanding x
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

no personal experience of any of these but do know of at least one person with SEN who was well supported at BOA. Other than BOA, they are just ones I've heard about in passing conversations:

Birmingham Ormiston (BOA)
Birmingham Theatre School
The Manchester College
Midlands Academy of Musical Theatre (think maybe a level 4 course)
Expressions Academy (Nottingham area?)

and I do know of a few people that have done performing arts at Yale College in Wrexham - singers rather than dancers - who have gone on to mt diplomas and degrees.
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

My DD did 4 years at BOA (Birmingham Ormiston Academy ) in Birmingham city centre - that was BTEC plus if 16 can do A Level along side or GCSEs if start at 14. Great school. She is now at one of the top London schools. They do dance on MT but not too hard. She did her dance more so outside of BOA.
Cosmicdancer
Nominee

Post by Cosmicdancer »

BOA supported my child well with SEN during years 10 and 11.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

What sort of hours are expected. BOA would be an hour train journey there and back which is do-able but might be too much to expect if there are lots of late nights etc.
Moonfaery8
BRIT Award

Post by Moonfaery8 »

My dd is currently on the musical theatre pathway in year 11 at BOA. Great experience so far and she is staying on for years 12 & 13.
She has an hour and 15 minute train journey 3 times a week(with an added 20 minute drive to the station) and then stays with her Grandma (who lives nearer Birmingham) for 2 nights. That train journey takes 40 minutes.
We were a bit worried at first whether she would cope with the travel but it's been fine. Students travel from all over the place and she is by no means alone in the distance she has to do.
The only issue comes when the trains have a problem - usually weather related but often for no apparent reason! The school are very understanding as the majority of students use public transport to get there as it's right in the centre of Birmingham.
Cosmicdancer
Nominee

Post by Cosmicdancer »

We did full time year ten and eleven. Finish at four every day and earlier on a Friday. Was very happy. The sixth form is much less hours for their pathway, usually around 12 hours, then you can add on A levels. My daughter was not wanting to do A levels, and 12 hours or so is just not enough. So we moved to Addict in Leicester for sixth form, which is the same qualification with a full time vocational timetable.