A levels alongside Musical Theatre Btech

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

A levels alongside Musical Theatre Btech

Post by Proseccoplease »

Hi all, I'd love to ask for help regarding academics at sixth form. DS is passionate about History and wants to continue this at ALevel along with Drama and the MTBtech. As far as I can tell without going hours out of our area (he wants to be able to come home at weekends sometimes) I can only really see Tring and Arts Ed as an option. I would love to hear anyone's expense of the academic side of things there. He is still in year 10 but obviously we need to start thinking now! I know there are threads about both but I'd love to hear any recent experiences. I'm sure this will all be academic itself as the chances of getting in to start with and then affording it are slim but we have promised him we will at least look at it! Any help hugely appreciated! Feel free to DM me! Thank you!
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Re: A levels alongside Musical Theatre Btech

Post by Fullmoon »

I have pm’d you x
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Fullmoon it doesn't seem to have come through-sorry! Will try PMing you and see if that helps!
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Sorry - not sure what went wrong?! Have messaged you again xx
VaguelyStagey
Nominee

Post by VaguelyStagey »

I don’t think Tring offers the BTEC, so may not fit your DS requirements. But also I would check if unis accept MT BTEC & Theatre Studies A level as 2 qualifications as there’d be a lot of overlap I imagine.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

We found Tring to be too academic, my DD was offered a place,with a small scholarship, I think she could do 2 A levels but that may have changed - she is now doing a BTEC which has a huge workload with it which has been a shock to many students.
I think Tring was going to start UAL which is same as a BTEC in qualification ,I know BTEC wasn't being continued.
The Brit School also offer one A level alongside the UAL that is more manageable,I can't remember in what subjects,English Literature and Drama plus a couple of others.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Thank you for help, yes looking more into Tring I see they don't do a Btec, have asked for more advise with them as a bit confusing as to what qualification you would end up with. I agree Drama and Mt would overlap, he may take music (again an overlap!) or English Lit. If he could do Politics he would but that's very niche evidently! Very tricky to combine academia with MT it seems, may yet end up staying where he is and just doing a Foundation year later to Catch up! Argh!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

The thing you have to consider with the btec is there are more than one type at Level 3

Although the level is the same the size of the qualification differs. There is one that is equivalent in size to 1 A level and one that is equivalent to 2 A levels. The instututions that offer this qualification usually offer 1/2 A levels alongside it.

Then there is the btec that is equivalent in size to 3 A levels. This is a full time course and usually studied as a standalone qualification.
Last edited by islandofsodor on Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Thanks islandofsodor-Good to know!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Dd investigated the MT course at Tring but she hated it there but from what I can gather from people we know who went or are there (on the drama course though, not MT) is that their MT training is a 2 year course they have put together themselves that does not lead to a specific qualification. So in a way I guess its like the lower school trainign where you study GCSE's alongside vocational training.

Someone with a child on the drama course told me that the day is split into academics in the morning and vocational training in the afternoon. There are 4 academic option blocks to choose from.

This contrasts to where Hammond where the drama students study a Btec ( 2 A level equivalent but with a much enhanced vocational curriculum) & the dance students study a diploma and then there are two additional academic option blocks to choose from (A levels or 1 a level equivalent btec)

Arts Ed was similar but with a few more options in terms of whether you took a btec or not. Dd pulled out of that audition as she felt their dance training was not what she was looking for and the acadmic options she wanted to do were in the same option block.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Proseccoplease wrote:Thank you for help, yes looking more into Tring I see they don't do a Btec, have asked for more advise with them as a bit confusing as to what qualification you would end up with. I agree Drama and Mt would overlap, he may take music (again an overlap!) or English Lit. If he could do Politics he would but that's very niche evidently! Very tricky to combine academia with MT it seems, may yet end up staying where he is and just doing a Foundation year later to Catch up! Argh!
My DS did Music, Theatre Studies and English Lit at a standard secondary school plus evening dance classes plus singing lessons. It worked out perfectly for him, but was quite hard work especially when auditioning in upper sixth. Think a fair people on here have done the same.

Good luck with your choice x
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Good to know scarytimes. We’re beginning to think that’s there best option! He’s just so desperate to be with other boys with the same interests as him as much as get the training!
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Proseccoplease wrote:Good to know scarytimes. We’re beginning to think that’s there best option! He’s just so desperate to be with other boys with the same interests as him as much as get the training!
I know what you mean. DS can’t quite believe his luck being with likeminded boys now he is away - so many years of being the only boy in a class of teenage girls!
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

My DS also went the A level route and did physics, maths and drama, while spending every evening and all weekends at local dance classes, singing lessons and the local youth theatre. He would have been happy to go away at sixteen but is very young in his year and wasn't as physically developed at that point, plus we couldn't afford to support him without degree or Dada funding. By the time he was 18 he was six foot and much more muscular and able to cope with lifts in the dance classes etc. He did several London summer schools from year 9 onwards, so had a very clear idea of where he wanted to apply. It all worked out for him as he had offers at five out of the six top London schools he auditioned for at 18, with several scholarships, so I don't think the A level route did him any harm and he didn't need a foundation year. He chose Mountview and had a great time. He has just graduated with an agent, is doing professional panto at Christmas and is then moving to Finland at the end of February for a 15 month contract in the Little Mermaid. Good luck with whatever you decide for your DS. There are lots of routes into this, and if he is a good standard in dance, acting and singing, his qualifications wont matter as it goes purely by the audition on the day.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Thanks ajbew, I’ll be showing all these wonderful replies to my DS! It’s great to know that being at a vocational school for sixth form certainly isn’t a prerequisite for a good MT degree entry.
As ever this forum has been invaluable! Thank you!