When to apply?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Felicity
GRAMMY Award

When to apply?

Post by Felicity »

DD is on a MT Foundation course this year and will be auditioning for BA courses again. They have been advised to leave auditioning as late as possible, I imagine to benefit the most from the course. However when is leaving it too late? I am a bit worried there will only be a few places left if she applies after Christmas (UCAS deadline is 15th Jan 2019) for later audition slots. Last year DD applied quite early. She has said she doesn’t want to do any auditions this time until end Jan / Feb.
For those of you with DC on the BA at Arts Ed, Mountview, GSA, Trinity (I know they audition everyone in Feb so this one is not so tricky), PPA, Urdang and Central, when did they apply and when were the auditions and offers? Thanks so much for any advice / info.
Joshan18
Nominee

Re: When to apply?

Post by Joshan18 »

My DD is also on a foundation course this year - acting. She had a gap year last year and applied late - the week before the Ucas deadline. Her auditions were between late Feb and April. She had 3 offers of foundations from 7 auditions plus an offer of a foundation audition after being rejected for the BA at another.
She has also been told to hang on to apply this year until later. I am not too worried as they seem to know what they are doing and hopefully she will be getting much more focussed advice, unlike my panicky nagging last year!!
I do feel that she wasn't quite ready for a 3 year course, the foundation was probably the best result for her. Luckily it is funded too so the cynic in me that worried that all the 3 year places had gone and she is part of a money making scheme rests easy!
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

It’s a difficult one really - I’m not sure there’s a ‘right time’
My DS auditioned after Christmas (jan/Feb time) both times - first year he was offered foundation at mountview which he did but they don’t do their recalls until April so whenever you audition at mountview you don’t know any more til April.

Second year he also auditioned jan/Feb time and got his BA offer at Trinity 3 weeks after the audition

Some say go for it before Christmas whilst there are plenty of places and some say wait - no help to you really but I think If a college want you they’ll have you no matter when you audition

Good luck to both of your DD’s
xx
Ps: as they are both on foundation there will be a set day for their BA audition for that particular college they are already at anyway ;)
VaguelyStagey
Nominee

Post by VaguelyStagey »

Joshan18 - congratulations to your DD, it’s great to hear these drama success stories, my DD will he applying for drama school this year. I wasn’t aware of any foundation courses with funding, would you mind sharing where she is? Or pm me if you prefer?
Many thanks
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

My DS applied late and was actually in the very last audition for Arts Ed and got in so I think if you have what they are looking it doesn't really matter when you audition. In fact I think there were at least two or three who got in on the last audition.
All new to me!
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

We found that the Alevel and youngsters all applied early, as the auditions opened and that meant there was huge competition in that age group. After Christmas and towards the closing date, the older and more experienced auditionees applied. If this is your first time may be an idea to stand out and try later. For many of the straight acting, they don't give places until they have had all the recalls so it may not matter.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

For those doing A levels and GCSe's I think its better to apply early as you really don't want to be juggling auditions with exams.

However for those taking a year out or on Foundation courses then its probably best to leave it until a bit later. The only thing I will say is that a freidn of dd's got injured around February time and had to pull out of several suditions that could then not be rescheduled so if you are going for dance based courses be aware.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

we decided to go for the early dates, then if DS is down with the winter lurgy he has half a chance of being able to reschedule.
My DS wants it over with as soon as possible ;)
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Joshan18
Nominee

Post by Joshan18 »

Vaguely, DD is at Italia Conti, it is a CertHe course so is eligible for student loan. She was also offered a place at East 15 foundation, that is also funded. They are the only foundations I know that are, not sure if some of the other schools are changing in the future.
VaguelyStagey
Nominee

Post by VaguelyStagey »

That’s so helpful, thank you. We’ll look at both those courses. How is your DD finding Italia Conti?
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Bird foundation students were expected to apply later so she might have to ask her college about applications as they have to give a reference on the UCAS application and might have a schedule for doing that.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Really tricky one Felicity! I hear so many contrasting things about auditioning early or late, but I think it is probably true that if DD happens to be just what someone wants this year then she will be successful whatever time she goes for it.

However there is the dreaded problem of illness or injury. DS had to rearrange one last year, (ironically it was the GSA first round) because he cane down with a flu like bug the evening before. It would be awful to find you had missed the last chance at her favourite place.

Good luck and keep us informed xx
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Not sure where your DD is on her foundation but honestly I wouldn't fret about this. The foundation is for preparing them to audition again for the next step. They will be working towards this. Your DD will just need to update her personal statement - about her foundation experience, living away etc (if she has). They won't want her to be heading off for any early auditions. The idea being to get as much from the year first. She will be fine. Don't worry.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

I agree with Robin. There is no point auditioning early, when the whole point of a foundation year is to get them ready for a 3 year course. How about a happy medium? Stagger the auditions, starting from end January/Feb with her least favourite on paper, progressing through to March/April. The worst thing is to have a big clump of auditions all together. It is such an intense day, I would leave at least a couple of weeks between each one. Good luck.
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Thanks all for your thoughts, experiences and advice. DD is at Arts Ed and they do seem to have a procedure according to DD so fingers crossed something will work out at the right time.