'Best fit' schools/colleges post 18?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Re: 'Best fit' schools/colleges post 18?

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Thanks Debbie for updated info and to Arianadrama and DS for your researched thoughts! It's still a way off for my DS but we will be watching carefully over the next couple of years to see who ends up where! Good luck to you all xx
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Arianadrama I've just messaged you!
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

2leftfeetmyself wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:53 pm Time will tell whether GSA has done the right thing with the "no writing whatsoever" course. I was quite shocked to be honest on the open day to hear this and when I tell people, they simply don't believe me.

It is true though. Brand new practical only. No writing whatsoever and no more AAB or DDD or similar to get in.
DS has completed most of his first semester at GSA now and loves their approach so far. A real balance of the three disciplines, around 50 hours per week training and then song and monologue learning for homework. They are working their way through the MT history and building skills from the basics. Having said that, it seems a fairly academic approach compared to friends at other colleges - he has done one essay submission so far, one acting assessment and they are preparing a Greek play for January assessments.

I know I was concerned about the dance content before he started, and whilst there is less than some colleges, he does get 2-3 hours each day plus 2.5 hours of optional classes on three evenings a week.

Update: Have just found out they have another essay due in after the holidays, so unless the course is changing for next year, then the "no written work" isn't entirely accurate. I know entry requirements have changed from AAB (with some discretion) to CCC so maybe they are subtly changing the course each year too.

HTH
Last edited by Scarytimes on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

2leftfeetmyself wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:53 pm Time will tell whether GSA has done the right thing with the "no writing whatsoever" course. I was quite shocked to be honest on the open day to hear this and when I tell people, they simply don't believe me.

It is true though. Brand new practical only. No writing whatsoever and no more AAB or DDD or similar to get in.
It is indeed and long overdue. It does however make a mockery of awarding a degree in my humble opinion and employers may soon realise that it has no academic value and so would no longer be a "plan B". It will be interesting to see where MT/PA degrees end up after the funding/fee review currently underway shakes out. Especially now that the ONS has decided that the cost of student loans is all part of the current budget deficit. The vibes are not good.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Yes I agree that the vibes are not good. My DD is in her 2nd year at Millennium and loving it but they have been told they may not be able to access student loan for their last year! Not a good situation to be in :(
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

jennifer1972 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:52 am Yes I agree that the vibes are not good. My DD is in her 2nd year at Millennium and loving it but they have been told they may not be able to access student loan for their last year! Not a good situation to be in :(
That's not good at all and I feel for you. It would be very unfair to stop fundIng for students who have already started. The whole funding system is a joke. PCDLs are now no longer available and DaDa funding is so limited and concentrated on a small number of colleges.
2leftfeetmyself
Nominee

Post by 2leftfeetmyself »

chivers61 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:30 pm

It is indeed and long overdue. It does however make a mockery of awarding a degree in my humble opinion and employers may soon realise that it has no academic value and so would no longer be a "plan B". It will be interesting to see where MT/PA degrees end up after the funding/fee review currently underway shakes out. Especially now that the ONS has decided that the cost of student loans is all part of the current budget deficit. The vibes are not good.
Agreed, this is what concerned me also about GSA decision for Sept 2019 entrants. I would want my DC's MT degree to be recognised as a degree like any other academic degree would outside of the MT industry. I have no doubt the new GSA course is good MT training, its the non academic, no writing whatsoever bit, I can't get my head around or the lowering of grades to get in, surely the industry should be demanding ever higher standards? Time will tell if the experiment pays off with more of their graduates in work in the industry because they can certainly cast the net wider for sure but GSA will be a tad "marmite" for a while I think.
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

2leftfeetmyself wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:57 am
chivers61 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:30 pm

Agreed, this is what concerned me also about GSA decision for Sept 2019 entrants. I would want my DC's MT degree to be recognised as a degree like any other academic degree would outside of the MT industry. I have no doubt the new GSA course is good MT training, its the non academic, no writing whatsoever bit, I can't get my head around or the lowering of grades to get in, surely the industry should be demanding ever higher standards? Time will tell if the experiment pays off with more of their graduates in work in the industry because they can certainly cast the net wider for sure but GSA will be a tad "marmite" for a while I think.
But a child's academic ability has no impact on their ability to dance, act or sing. BA's in acting from the top schools don't require any academic qualifications in the main and they are purely vocational courses.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Just to be devils advocate-sometimes academic study can only help in understanding texts don’t you think? An understanding of the history and politics of the time for example might benefit a student when trying to portray a particular characters emotion? I don't think it's a co-incidence that some of our finest Actors also have a pretty good academic record. At least that’s what I yell dS when trying to convince him to keep up his History studies! :D
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

Proseccoplease wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:55 am Just to be devils advocate-sometimes academic study can only help in understanding texts don’t you think? An understanding of the history and politics of the time for example might benefit a student when trying to portray a particular characters emotion? I don't think it's a co-incidence that some of our finest Actors also have a pretty good academic record. At least that’s what I yell dS when trying to convince him to keep up his History studies! :D
That's what the interview processes and monologues at auditions are for. They determine the intellectual understanding of the pieces and the applicant's connection to them and why. The recalls and final recalls focus on discussion, interviews and interpretation of texts and direction. Candidates are chosen based on their acting ability, not their essay ability. This means candidates who are not academic still have the same opportunity as those that are. Surely you don't think only kids capable of passing A levels should be actors? My DS does have A levels so I have no axe to grind. It's just an opinion.
Proseccoplease
GRAMMY Award

Post by Proseccoplease »

Couldn’t agree more-certainly wasn’t meaning academic meaning Alevel achievement, I was more meaning study and understanding. I guess the term academic can be interpreted differently, I certainly don’t think only kids capable of Alevels can be actors or that Alevel achievement is a measure of intelligence. I suppose I was more thinking along the lines of studying Alevels or other subjects at degree level not being a waste of time if you want to go into acting. There are many pathways I know and everyone has to take the one best for them.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Rhymie wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:12 pm
That's what the interview processes and monologues at auditions are for. They determine the intellectual understanding of the pieces and the applicant's connection to them and why. The recalls and final recalls focus on discussion, interviews and interpretation of texts and direction. Candidates are chosen based on their acting ability, not their essay ability. This means candidates who are not academic still have the same opportunity as those that are. Surely you don't think only kids capable of passing A levels should be actors? My DS does have A levels so I have no axe to grind. It's just an opinion.
Interesting discussion. I agree, and would argue too, that whilst GSA are pushing the non-academic side so as not to put off those who may think it is not for them, I'm sure they are still looking for this ability when they audition and interview. Ultimately, this may allow them to reach a wider pool of potential students and they can then make their own assessment as to which students suit them.

All - Just another thought - DS is loving GSA, but almost took up his Laine DaDA offer last year as we (and he) were worried that he would just miss the grade requirements on A level results day and then end up at neither of his two favourites. Thankfully they contacted us and offered BCC to him as a reduced offer - such a relief as he missed the AAB former requirement in the end.

He is academic, but with all the time out auditioning and doing subjects with a lot of practical content that had to be submitted around audition time, the grades weren't quite what he was predicted. Maybe GSA have found over the last few years that they lose many of their favourites who are scared to risk exam results when other colleges want answers much earlier than August?

Also, just to reiterate - unless the course is altered dramatically for next year's intake, it is quite an intellectual approach to the subject (for all I know, the same is true for all colleges offering Acting/MT degrees) and you certainly need to be able to think, reason and interpret.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Degree at Bird definitely has written work expectations. DD had to work on an assignment over Christmas. It's not just a token, it was a good level of challenge.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I find it quite strange that they have gone from one extreme to the other. GSA used to have ridiculously high requirements that disadvantaged those doing A levels rather than Btec and put off many talented young people from even applying. Other institutions offering vocational training/degree tend to have academic requirements of around BBC/BCC which according to my husband who lectures in this sector is a realistic requirement for the academic work expected.
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

This is a really good question and I will let you know our experience. DD did two rounds of auditions, she was 16 before we realised as parents what she intended to do. We knew nothing about performing arts colleges, we knew about student finance and Uni but not about DaDa’s etc. Anyway daughter had been to dance school since she was 4 years of age but we as parents saw it as a hobby, all of a sudden it was a shock to us when at 16 she wanted to do musical theatre. I had to read up about where to go and how funding was applied etc. This wasn’t really enough time to research everything thoroughly. DD had to move schools at aged 17 and finish her performing arts BTEC off in a different school as her normal secondary school stopped teaching the subject half way through her BTEC. She also started singing lessons and obtained 93% in London college of music grade 8 exam. It was like a whirlwind really, we were into auditions before we could think. Daughter also injured herself and needed ACL reconstruction in her knee. The first year of auditions was a learning curve with a few offers but not quite fitted what DD wanted to do. She was also offered a place at a performing arts college which we accepted. We are not wealthy and it was going to be a struggle to maintain DD at the college with a 49% bursary. At this point we should have said no but we didn’t. DD started the Diploma course and as soon as she started she realised she had made a mistake. She did a term and left. Luckily we found someone for her tenancy and negotiated with the college about her funding which was immediately taken away so we had a huge bill we couldn’t pay. We found the college had no caring for any pupil having a difficult time, took no notice of any health conditions and just wanted as much money as possible out of the pupil. DD was very ill when she came home suffering with anxiety, she got jobs at home but became extremely ill with glandular fever having to be in hospital every few weeks with raging tonsillitis. DD then decided to audition again so we did the circuit another year, she was offered triple threat at Chichester Uni. This time we told her she could only apply to places with full funding and where she would get student finance to live on. She chose 5 Uni’s, 4 she thought she had a reasonable chance of getting in at and GSA as the one to aspire to. Fast forward to September 2017 DD started the triple threat course at Chichester on the Bognor Regis campas. She didn’t go into halls she decided she would like her own place so we were lucky enough to find some brand new student accommodation and DD lives in her own studio flat along with other students (some on her course) 10 minutes from campas. You would think all would be well now as we had already come along way on this journey to get to this point. Sadly no DD was ill with ear infections, tonsillitis, for the first semester and had to intermit in the second simester due to illness. It was so stressful with periods in hospital again. Fast forward to June 2018 DD had her tonsils out and so far has had good health. She is currently back at Chichester Uni on the triple threat course doing her 1st year and living in her studio very happy. The course itself is brilliant for an ‘all rounder’. DD has at least 35 hours a week of contact time. She is in all the top groups for the various dance classes. They have the one to one singing lessons like the colleges and have people from the west end teaching classes. DD also has the same teachers teach her as at GSA as these people teach in both places. The time table is really full and extra lessons added if needed for pupils. They do their end of degree showcase in London and from 2nd year the shows are done in a proper theatre with ticket sales to the public etc. It has taken a long journey for DD to get to this point but she never gave up. I would throughly reccommend Chichester triple threat as a course to consider for your son. They have open days and some of the shows are at the theatre in Bognor Regis but also further a field. If you get chance try to go to a show, you can then see the standard of the course. At the end of the degree they become members of spotlight and equity. We are lucky that DD is very bright and has good academic GCSEs and A Levels/BTEC so her written work scores highly on the degree course.