'Best fit' schools/colleges post 18?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Re: 'Best fit' schools/colleges post 18?

Post by Marissa »

kzgirl wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:16 pm This is a really good question and I will let you know our experience. DD did two rounds of auditions, she was 16 before we realised as parents what she intended to do. We knew nothing about performing arts colleges, we knew about student finance and Uni but not about DaDa’s etc. Anyway daughter had been to dance school since she was 4 years of age but we as parents saw it as a hobby, all of a sudden it was a shock to us when at 16 she wanted to do musical theatre. I had to read up about where to go and how funding was applied etc. This wasn’t really enough time to research everything thoroughly. DD had to move schools at aged 17 and finish her performing arts BTEC off in a different school as her normal secondary school stopped teaching the subject half way through her BTEC. She also started singing lessons and obtained 93% in London college of music grade 8 exam. It was like a whirlwind really, we were into auditions before we could think. Daughter also injured herself and needed ACL reconstruction in her knee. The first year of auditions was a learning curve with a few offers but not quite fitted what DD wanted to do. She was also offered a place at a performing arts college which we accepted. We are not wealthy and it was going to be a struggle to maintain DD at the college with a 49% bursary. At this point we should have said no but we didn’t. DD started the Diploma course and as soon as she started she realised she had made a mistake. She did a term and left. Luckily we found someone for her tenancy and negotiated with the college about her funding which was immediately taken away so we had a huge bill we couldn’t pay. We found the college had no caring for any pupil having a difficult time, took no notice of any health conditions and just wanted as much money as possible out of the pupil. DD was very ill when she came home suffering with anxiety, she got jobs at home but became extremely ill with glandular fever having to be in hospital every few weeks with raging tonsillitis. DD then decided to audition again so we did the circuit another year, she was offered triple threat at Chichester Uni. This time we told her she could only apply to places with full funding and where she would get student finance to live on. She chose 5 Uni’s, 4 she thought she had a reasonable chance of getting in at and GSA as the one to aspire to. Fast forward to September 2017 DD started the triple threat course at Chichester on the Bognor Regis campas. She didn’t go into halls she decided she would like her own place so we were lucky enough to find some brand new student accommodation and DD lives in her own studio flat along with other students (some on her course) 10 minutes from campas. You would think all would be well now as we had already come along way on this journey to get to this point. Sadly no DD was ill with ear infections, tonsillitis, for the first semester and had to intermit in the second simester due to illness. It was so stressful with periods in hospital again. Fast forward to June 2018 DD had her tonsils out and so far has had good health. She is currently back at Chichester Uni on the triple threat course doing her 1st year and living in her studio very happy. The course itself is brilliant for an ‘all rounder’. DD has at least 35 hours a week of contact time. She is in all the top groups for the various dance classes. They have the one to one singing lessons like the colleges and have people from the west end teaching classes. DD also has the same teachers teach her as at GSA as these people teach in both places. The time table is really full and extra lessons added if needed for pupils. They do their end of degree showcase in London and from 2nd year the shows are done in a proper theatre with ticket sales to the public etc. It has taken a long journey for DD to get to this point but she never gave up. I would throughly reccommend Chichester triple threat as a course to consider for your son. They have open days and some of the shows are at the theatre in Bognor Regis but also further a field. If you get chance try to go to a show, you can then see the standard of the course. At the end of the degree they become members of spotlight and equity. We are lucky that DD is very bright and has good academic GCSEs and A Levels/BTEC so her written work scores highly on the degree course.
So pleased it’s all working out for your dd now Kzgirl x My dd is very happy at The Hammond and they all find their right places in the end xxx
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

Thank you for taking the time to share your daughter's amazing story of tenacity. You should be extremely proud of her and I'm delighted she has found somewhere where she is appreciated and cared for as we hope all of our children are once they're away from the family home.
To me, the pastoral is as important as the vocational etc etc. Are you able to pm me and let me know which the uncaring college was? We begin the auditioning process later this year and I have said all along I don't want to go anywhere near any establishment without a heart.
Good luck to you and your dd, I'm sure with her attitude and drive, she'll go far x
DebbieDOos
Nominee

Post by DebbieDOos »

We liked Chichester when we went very friendly with lots of 18/19 year olds.
Word of warning all the students we met at the GSA openday were in their mid 20s all 3 of the students showing our group around only got in on their 4 or 5th attempt so dont fret if you are not accepted at 18 as the students told us they only had a handful of 18 year olds in their year But they do see everyone who applies
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

DebbieDOos wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:56 pm We liked Chichester when we went very friendly with lots of 18/19 year olds.
Word of warning all the students we met at the GSA openday were in their mid 20s all 3 of the students showing our group around only got in on their 4 or 5th attempt so dont fret if you are not accepted at 18 as the students told us they only had a handful of 18 year olds in their year But they do see everyone who applies
Not true of current GSA MT first year students. They are very unusual in that the majority are 18/20 and not many older. Out of the 36, about 6/7 are international students. Equal mix Male and female. Fingers crossed for you all!