Dd struggling - advice

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

scottishdancer00
BRIT Award

Dd struggling - advice

Post by scottishdancer00 »

Dd started her place on a degree MT course 4 weeks ago where the students gain a HNC after year 1 and are then encouraged to audition out to London. Dd is mainly a singer but can dance well. Acting was something that she just never really came across and I have no knowledge of performing arts so ignorantly we just both assumed it would be the easy part.
However dd has phoned me a few times in tears because she is struggling with acting so much. She is very shy (not when singing and dancing) but is finding things like improv and devising scenes tough. Her lack of confidence was solidified after her teacher told her that he could believe that the scene that was being performed could have gotten any worse but wow she really managed it and then proceeded to shout ‘shite’ through the rest of her performance. She says she know it’s was going wrong ( reading a script for the first time and shaking with nerves so she couldn’t pick up the stage directions apparently) but was upset as it was the first time she had ever performed in front of her whole year.
I’m so proud of her she maintains she’s loving the rest of the course and is wanting to devote free time to working on acting. So after a voice class she went to the same critical teacher and asked if he knew of any books or resources to get rid of all the ‘inhibitions’ that she has and improve and he didn’t tell her any. While he was reassuring saying everyone’s on the course because they can sing and then have one other strength, and that if he had to go to a dance call he wouldn’t be able to pick up anything , I don’t understand why he can’t seem to offer her advice to improve.

So my question is does anyone have any books I can let her know of or just any advice in general about how to let go of inhibition when acting and just go for it. She has a compulsory acting audition tomorrow which will be her first every straight acting audition so if anyone has any advice for that that I can pass on too I would be so so grateful. It’s so tough to know she’s so struggling and worried when she’s living away
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Re: Dd struggling - advice

Post by Dogcop »

Don't have any advice re books but wanted to say well done to your DD for continuing after such criticism and doing something so out of her comfort zone. What a brave girl. I can't understand why teachers think they are going to get the best out of people by completely knocking their confidence and self esteem.
Do you know anybody that could give her a few private drama lessons, that may help. Good luck to her, I hope she does really well
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

When DS started at Mountview these were on the reading list. We got them second hand from amazon. Not sure how much he used them as they did lots of exercises to get them out of their comfort zones but maybe they will be useful for your DD.

An Actor's Handbook: An Alphabetical Arrangement of Concise Statements on Aspects of Acting, Stanislavski
Actor Movement: Expression of the Physical Being, Vanessa Ewan and Debbie Green
Finding Your Voice: A Complete Voice Training Manual for Actors, Barbara Houseman
Impro: Improvisation and the Theatre, Keith Johnstone
The Actor Speaks: Voice and the Performer, Patsy Rodenburg

i know nothing about acting so don't know if these are any good but Mountview put them on their essential reading list in 2015. Hopefully they will help your DD. Mountview make all their students wear black for their first two years, with no makeup, or logos or anything so that they are a blank canvas and become comfortable with themselves. Perhaps going out without makeup occasionally will help your DD to become more confident in herself. I don't really know what I am talking about but it seems to work for the Mountview students.

Hope some of this helps and good luck to your DD, and to you as it is so hard to support them from a distance. DS has now graduated and has all the auditioning starting again now for jobs!
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I feel for both your DD and you as we have been there too. My DD is a dancer and really struggled with the acting when she first started her course - visually shaking through most of it. I will message her and ask if she has any tips to help your DD through it but she is in install on a ship at the moment so could be several days before I hear anything back. I think though that is was just mostly practice , her confidence sort of coming from the fact that she started at rock bottom so could only improve from there. As friendships developed on her course, that also helped as they all realised they needed help at times across the different disciplines and would help each other. Its good that she went to speak to the highly critical teacher and I hope she does take note of his reassurances that everyone has different strengths. My DDs first audition for post graduation contracts involved dancing, singing and acting and she felt she was the weak link in a group improv acting but she got the contract.

the Stanislavski book was also on DD's reading list at college, not sure about the others and likewise DD's college asked them to wear all black, no makeup, no logos etc.

The only other thing I can think of is to tell your DD to look at her singing - when she brings a song to life it is not just about singing the right words and notes - when she brings emotions etc to a song she is 'acting', 'putting herself into character' - so she can do it. She just needs to find a way to get that aligned with the spoken word. I know DD was given that advice by one of her straight actor friends when he watched her perform as a dancer.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Hi if your DD can get into London there are workshops at places like the mono box and lots of others especially for youth. Or maybe try a short holiday intensive (although I realise they are very tired by holiday times). There are some online acting masterclasses too I think and watch great performances live and on screen. Also always prepare carefully if a script is given in advance or she is asked to prepare a monologue. It will improve with time and confidence. Lots of colleges have one or more teachers who are very strict or critical and cause tears and self doubt. Your DD is doing the right thing - push on through and stay strong and show commitment. That's what they are looking for - get up when you get knocked down. I guess it's because it's a hard industry. Happened to my DD with one teacher and I was cross at the time but she says it did make her stronger. It's hard for us parents isn't it when they are upset? Some places offer private teaching sessions (usually extra to pay) but might be worth it. She could ask at college. Chin up. Keep going!
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

I agree that the more you do something the easier it becomes. My DD does not really like improv and prefers a script but finds it alot easier a year on.
Rather than focusing on what she is good at spend more time on her weakness. DD not great at Ballet and had extra lessons over the summer break.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Scottishdancer00 how is your DD getting on now? Much more settled with her acting I hope.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

RADA do great weekend courses in acting. You can do as many or as few as you want - just book whenever you want one. Think they are for 16 to 23 year olds so a good age range. When DD daughter took part in a couple of these I believe they were £30 for the day so not too expensive.
All new to me!