CPA Closure and other college’s responses

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

CPA Closure and other college’s responses

Post by Munchpot »

Just been reading about the immediate closure of CPA studios in Romford. All students have been told there’s no more training for them no matter how far into their course they are, because of financial reasons

I don’t know CPA but can understand how devastating this is for students and staff, what has been amazing to read is the support shown by other dance colleges offering spaces on courses and free auditions for CPA students

Great to see the arts education community pulling together and putting any ‘professional differences’ aside for the sake of future performers
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: CPA Closure and other college’s responses

Post by islandofsodor »

I don't post much any more but came on today because I saw this in The Stage.

I have posted before about financial viability of the various colleges. I would once again urge prospective parents and students to look into the colleges they are thinking of going to. There are a couple of colleges often discussed on here that according to their publicly available accounts are struggling and warnings have been given althugh to be fair there wasn't anything in CPA's accounts that indicated a problem. CPA is not the first to go under (there was one in Milton Keynes a couple of years ago I think) and it certainly won't be the last.
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

Yes I saw this on FB this morning . My heart goes out to current and incoming students . It must be so devastating for them and it was lovely to see other colleges offering auditions . I’m sure that most colleges have to be full by now though so wonder how that will work out.
Anyway I hope that it will all work out for the best for all concerned.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I know that where my daughter is going is already over subscribed for September for new first years. There is often a little natural wastage in other years but DaDa funding will already be allocated and I guess its whether staff are avaiable over the summer to actually audition. Most of the audition panel at dd's college are either working abroad/running/teaching summer schools or on holiday!
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

It is indeed heartening to see so many colleges reaching out and offering auditions - including some of the better known ones like Urdang and Bodyworks. I've saw too that Scene II Performing Arts are putting on a special open evening next Monday and have promised to honour scholarships for any students already part way through their CPA courses. I do hope that the many disappointed students and prospective students can soon get sorted - so worrying and distressing for them all.
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Oh my goodness! This is such sad news! I hope anybody caught up in this manages to make alternative arrangements for September :cry:
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

I can't imagine how stressful this must be for them all x
mariapanayi
BRIT Award

Post by mariapanayi »

Hi all,

I just thought i'd mention Bodens College of Performing Arts - in case you know any the CPA students still struggling to find places this late in the year. They offer free performing arts training (my daughter has just graduated after spending three years with them). I've copied their course info from their website - but I'm sure if you call or email them, they'd be able to help more than I can!!

Sixth Form (Aged 16+) - Level Three Foundation Diploma & Level Three Extended Diploma - Two Years Free Training
Gap Year (Aged 18-19) - Level Four Associate Diploma - One Year Free Training

The website is www.performingartscollege.co.uk, email contact is katie@bodens.co.uk and the phone number is 02084470909.

I hope that helps! My daughter had the most amazing time there and the quality of training is exceptional. I really couldn't recommend it any higher.