Where are our Sept 2018 starters going?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Re: Where are our Sept 2018 starters going?

Post by DGtherunner »

How are we all getting on now our DCs are away? My DS is having an amazing time in London, loving his course and getting to see all sorts of shows. I'm a bit jealous really :lol:
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

I'm ill!!! But trying to get up and drag myself into work today x DD is loving every minute of The Hammond! Although has the biggest blister on toe and has tap and ballet assessments today to see which set she will be in so hoping she's ok today! Pleased to hear your DS is having a good time too x
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

DD is loving Bird, she rings most days to tell me what shes learnt, though she's not missing me at all. I've done a whole house sweep, but running out of jobs fast!. Dd has found it quiet on evenings and weekends, so has decided to get an evening job, which will keep her occupied. Shes trained so hard over the past 18 months, morning till night, that now she has no clue how to relax lol x
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Dd on the other hand only calls when we send her passive aggressive messages such as "your grandparents have offered to pay for x, it would be nice for you to call them to say thank you" or dh posting a picture on Facebook asking if anyone knows this girl she looks vaguely familiar!

She had jazz, tap and ballet assessments in the first week and was delighted to be put in A jazz. Tap is vertically streamed across all 3 years and she was put in B (out of 5 groups) so is thrilled. She is in B ballet and she has been having difficulties with pointework so has had a meeting about it as she is prone to getting injured during pointe which then puts her out of jazz and tap. As she wants to do MT not Dance she feels that pointework isn't a strict necessity and she doesn't want to risk further injury so we will see what happens there.

She has a part time job on Saturday mornings but is far too tired in the evenings as although the normal day is 8am -6pm she is doing extra classes on some days from 8am - 7pm.
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Newbe2018 wrote:DD is loving Bird, she rings most days to tell me what shes learnt, though she's not missing me at all. I've done a whole house sweep, but running out of jobs fast!. Dd has found it quiet on evenings and weekends, so has decided to get an evening job, which will keep her occupied. Shes trained so hard over the past 18 months, morning till night, that now she has no clue how to relax lol x
My DD is loving it too. I would advise your DD not to overstretch herself with an evening job too soon. They certainly have some long hard days and they've only just started so whilst she may be a little bored now, she might be totally knackered and wanting to spend the night in bed within a few weeks. They certainly do work them hard
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

Marissa wrote:I'm ill!!! But trying to get up and drag myself into work today x DD is loving every minute of The Hammond! Although has the biggest blister on toe and has tap and ballet assessments today to see which set she will be in so hoping she's ok today! Pleased to hear your DS is having a good time too x
Get well soon! My DS is enjoying the ballet, especially the boys session which has boys from all three years in it. First time he's ever had a ballet class where he's not the only boy!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

DGtherunner wrote:
Marissa wrote:I'm ill!!! But trying to get up and drag myself into work today x DD is loving every minute of The Hammond! Although has the biggest blister on toe and has tap and ballet assessments today to see which set she will be in so hoping she's ok today! Pleased to hear your DS is having a good time too x
Get well soon! My DS is enjoying the ballet, especially the boys session which has boys from all three years in it. First time he's ever had a ballet class where he's not the only boy!
Thankyou x DD is absolutely loving it! So far The Hammond seem very much like a family x She had her assessment in ballet and tap today x beginners class for tap which was expected as she has never done it before, top class for jazz and contemporary x just waiting to hear about ballet now x
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Marissa wrote:
DGtherunner wrote:
Thankyou x DD is absolutely loving it! So far The Hammond seem very much like a family x She had her assessment in ballet and tap today x beginners class for tap which was expected as she has never done it before, top class for jazz and contemporary x just waiting to hear about ballet now x
DS has had dance assessments - top group for tap (minor miracle!) and jazz and second for ballet so he is very happy. Singing assessment in front of everyone else was a bit scary as there are some amazing singers at GSA, but he was pleased with what he did. Has made loads of friends and enjoying freshers fun and late nights before the real work starts next week.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Great hearing everyone's news. DD also settled and enjoying it. She knows what to expect as she was there last year but made lots of new friends which is nice. Already been out to see a show and has some other events planned. Exciting! And tiring - they feel it in the first few weeks especially then the end of term.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

DGtherunner wrote: My DS is enjoying the ballet, especially the boys session which has boys from all three years in it. First time he's ever had a ballet class where he's not the only boy!
I know what you mean. DS loves that there are awhile group of boys his age that want to dance! So used to being the only lad in a big group of girls. Great for them
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

So Dd has picked up an injury. Looks like no dance for the next few weeks.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

islandofsodor wrote:So Dd has picked up an injury. Looks like no dance for the next few weeks.
Oh no!!! I hope shes ok and it heals soon!! X
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

islandofsodor wrote:So Dd has picked up an injury. Looks like no dance for the next few weeks.
Oh no! I’m sure it will happen to them all at some point but must be frustrating this early on. Hope she heals quickly and college is supportive
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Munchpot wrote:
Newbe2018 wrote:DD is loving Bird, she rings most days to tell me what shes learnt, though she's not missing me at all. I've done a whole house sweep, but running out of jobs fast!. Dd has found it quiet on evenings and weekends, so has decided to get an evening job, which will keep her occupied. Shes trained so hard over the past 18 months, morning till night, that now she has no clue how to relax lol x
My DD is loving it too. I would advise your DD not to overstretch herself with an evening job too soon. They certainly have some long hard days and they've only just started so whilst she may be a little bored now, she might be totally knackered and wanting to spend the night in bed within a few weeks. They certainly do work them hard
It's only a couple of hours a week, it's one Bird advertises on their group page, a few Birdies work there, I think if she finds it to much she'd pack in, but for now, shes loving her independence, not sure how long that will last lol x