Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Munchpot »

Soclose wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:48 am

Many thanks for this, I might give them a call towards the end of this week. It must be tough to complete a Foundation year and get a ‘No’ afterwards. Is your DD loving the degree? X
As has been said before Bird seem to actively use the reserve list. A few get straight yes’ but most are placed in the reserve until the whole audition process is over and then there’s a lot of movement.

There’ll be some now the auditions are over, and the staff at a Bird are very helpful f you give them a call. There have been people who have been offered their degree place at the start of the September term. I know that’s no good for anyone’s nerves but does show there’s movement and don’t forget when people have multiple offers it’s only when they formally accept that the lists move again

Fingers crossed for you. My DD loves Bird so I am biased.
Soclose
BRIT Award

Post by Soclose »

Munchpot wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:37 pm

Many thanks for this, I might give them a call towards the end of this week. It must be tough to complete a Foundation year and get a ‘No’ afterwards. Is your DD loving the degree? X
As has been said before Bird seem to actively use the reserve list. A few get straight yes’ but most are placed in the reserve until the whole audition process is over and then there’s a lot of movement.

There’ll be some now the auditions are over, and the staff at a Bird are very helpful f you give them a call. There have been people who have been offered their degree place at the start of the September term. I know that’s no good for anyone’s nerves but does show there’s movement and don’t forget when people have multiple offers it’s only when they formally accept that the lists move again

Thanks Munchpot, we loved Bird at the audition and DD loved Summer school there last year. Don’t think I’ll still be here if I have to wait till Sept though ](*,)
You definitely need nerves of steel to go through this process! X
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Bird’s use of the reserve list like this also leaves other colleges in the lurch when students who have accepted a place drop out (more so for the diploma as degree places are results dependent anyway. It probably doesn’t have quite as much impact on somewhere like Bird that has an intake of 100 plus per year but colleges with smaller intakes of around 30 can end up with spare places they could have offered to someone else.
Kingswayqueen
BRIT Award

Post by Kingswayqueen »

My DD was told by Bird a few weeks ago to ring up beginning of June to see whereabouts she is on the reserve list. She rang them today, and they’ve told her to ring back again mid June. The wait continues!
becmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by becmum »

I have emailed Bird today as we were told we could contact them this week to see where my DD was on the reserve funding list for diploma.
Imagine the response is likely to be the same...will post on if I hear anything different 🙄.
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Soclose wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:48 am Hi there, can I please ask anybody who has had their DD go through to the Bird degree from the reserve list, at what point did you hear this news?
My DD started on Foundation as she requested this as still on Degree reserve and they swapped her course 2 days in - So glad we decided to ask to do foundation as would have been a great expense to move her from another college.

The list starts moving around June but quite a few find out late
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

Kingswayqueen wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:51 pm

My DD was told by Bird a few weeks ago to ring up beginning of June to see whereabouts she is on the reserve list. She rang them today, and they’ve told her to ring back again mid June. The wait continues!
If helps, my DD was on reserve last year at Bird, was offered funded diploma place, I think was last week on June, then moved swiftly to Degree as soon as place was available that was mid July. Was told at beginning of June, that dd was towards top on the list for degree, was offered diploma first so we could let other offers go, Bird are extremely helpful, very easy to talk too would highly recommend to all. Very best of luck to all that are waiting, It's not an easy time for parents x
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

islandofsodor wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:26 pm Bird’s use of the reserve list like this also leaves other colleges in the lurch when students who have accepted a place drop out (more so for the diploma as degree places are results dependent anyway. It probably doesn’t have quite as much impact on somewhere like Bird that has an intake of 100 plus per year but colleges with smaller intakes of around 30 can end up with spare places they could have offered to someone else.
I’m with you on this one. There is something slightly arrogant about their system. I presume it works for them but it is a disaster for the candidates and as you say for every other college. But why should they care. Also I have a general issue with the industrial number of places they offer. I think it’s now gone way beyond 100!
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

chivers61 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:28 pm
islandofsodor wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:26 pm Bird’s use of the reserve list like this also leaves other colleges in the lurch when students who have accepted a place drop out (more so for the diploma as degree places are results dependent anyway. It probably doesn’t have quite as much impact on somewhere like Bird that has an intake of 100 plus per year but colleges with smaller intakes of around 30 can end up with spare places they could have offered to someone else.
I’m with you on this one. There is something slightly arrogant about their system. I presume it works for them but it is a disaster for the candidates and as you say for every other college. But why should they care. Also I have a general issue with the industrial number of places they offer. I think it’s now gone way beyond 100!
While I agree that the system isn't great, it's difficult to see how it can be improved. They have limited funding (but if you look at the funding table Bird have more than many other colleges hence can take more students) and because students hold multiple offers and then make decisions, they have to have a reserve list. I think it would be better if they were a bit more open with where people are on the reserve list, but I'm not really sure that helps either. DS was told he was "below halfway" out of 50/60 on the reserve list at one college who took only 20 onto diploma but had a call on Monday offering him funding. Very bizarre. He'd already accepted a funded place at Bird so he turned it down, but we weren't expecting him to be offered funding at the 2nd college based on his position on the reserve list. I agree it's not a fair way to do it but I can't think of an alternative that works .... Unless anybody else has any ideas!!!
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

icantdance wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:55 pm
chivers61 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:28 pm
While I agree that the system isn't great, it's difficult to see how it can be improved. They have limited funding (but if you look at the funding table Bird have more than many other colleges hence can take more students) and because students hold multiple offers and then make decisions, they have to have a reserve list. I think it would be better if they were a bit more open with where people are on the reserve list, but I'm not really sure that helps either. DS was told he was "below halfway" out of 50/60 on the reserve list at one college who took only 20 onto diploma but had a call on Monday offering him funding. Very bizarre. He'd already accepted a funded place at Bird so he turned it down, but we weren't expecting him to be offered funding at the 2nd college based on his position on the reserve list. I agree it's not a fair way to do it but I can't think of an alternative that works .... Unless anybody else has any ideas!!!
There is a way round it which is to make offers like the other colleges do. Bird make very few offers up front from what I understand and put by far the majority of people on the waiting list. Not aware of any of the other major colleges making offers even after the first term has started to the extent they do. There’s no excuse for it.
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

They certainly gave us alot of sleepness nights and anxiety, praying for that call or letter every day but are an amazing place to train.
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

chivers61 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:25 pm

There is a way round it which is to make offers like the other colleges do. Bird make very few offers up front from what I understand and put by far the majority of people on the waiting list. Not aware of any of the other major colleges making offers even after the first term has started to the extent they do. There’s no excuse for it.
But surely the plus side of it is that they wait until all their auditions are over before making all the offers. That way it's fairer to people auditioning later on in the process who are still in with a chance. After all for diploma the criteria for DADA is that the 'most likely to succeed' get the awards which surely they can't assess until they've seen everyone. And as far as degree places go, that process is controlled by the Uni of Greenwich who dp the admin side of it

As said before it's not perfect but works for them.
Littleone
BRIT Award

Post by Littleone »

My DD received an email from Bird today asking if she wanted to remain on the reserve list for degree. Seems things are being prepared for movement. :D
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

Munchpot wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:51 pm
chivers61 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:25 pm

But surely the plus side of it is that they wait until all their auditions are over before making all the offers. That way it's fairer to people auditioning later on in the process who are still in with a chance. After all for diploma the criteria for DADA is that the 'most likely to succeed' get the awards which surely they can't assess until they've seen everyone. And as far as degree places go, that process is controlled by the Uni of Greenwich who dp the admin side of it

As said before it's not perfect but works for them.
So why does no other college do that if it’s the obvious thing to do i.e.wait until they’ve seen every one before making any offers. They all do it to some extent but none do it to the extent that Bird does. Based on this forum I’d conclude it doesn’t work for DCs or parents. For some reason it works for Bird. And the way round seeing everyone before making an offer is to do all the auditions sooner. Then they could make offers sooner. And Greenwich has nothing to do with it. They make offers and rejections purely based on what Bird tell them to do.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Many of the other colleges wait until all auditions are over before making offers. Or they wait until all auditions are over before offering funding. In face the rules of the DaDa mean that no college is allowed to offer funding until all candidates have been seen and scored.

Bird make very few offers and just seem to put everyone on reserve until very late in the day. They seem to trickle them out.