Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Mammamia
BRIT Award

Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Mammamia »

I thought that I would start a thread for those auditioning for Sept 2019. My dd is 17 and will be auditioning for Musical Theatre Diploma courses. She’s currently researching all the colleges and trying to work out where she’s going to apply to.
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Marissa »

Goodluck x There's so much info here and it's great to have support.
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

Thanks Marissa. I’ve been lurking for the last couple of years and found it very helpful but I never had anything useful to contribute until now :D
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Mammamia wrote:Thanks Marissa. I’ve been lurking for the last couple of years and found it very helpful but I never had anything useful to contribute until now :D
Have a good read of the last Audition threads. I've found everyone so helpful and people have been very approachable and honest about their experiences.

Always worth sending a PM to those who went through it last year to ask how their DC's are getting on at their place of choice, might provide some extra insight too

Good luck
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Mammamia wrote:Thanks Marissa. I’ve been lurking for the last couple of years and found it very helpful but I never had anything useful to contribute until now :D
I echo Munchpot’s thoughts. This is an excell by supportive site with loads of information, experiences and people who know what you are all going through - unlike most friends I know in person! I’ve only seen one upsetting post in the whole year I have been on here and that came to an amicable conclusion in the end.

Pm’s are very good for that extra bit of personal advice and I feel I’ve made some friendships and really care about what happens to everyone here. Also previous threads from the last three years were also good to browse through before we chose which places to apply. Some people have written their experiences at auditions and of the college itself which helps to narrow it down.

It has been a lifesaver!
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Aww! Good Luck! As others have said, this site is an absolute sanity saver!! :D So don’t be afraid to ask anything! - If I could give you one piece of advice, it would be, be prepared for surprises, knock-backs and even possible changes of direction along the way. Often what they ‘think’ they want (a certain school/college/course etc) turns out to be different in reality. Have faith that things happen for a reason and that they will work themselves out; if not straight away or first time around, etc, then in time.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Good Luck to all the 2019 hopefuls from me too. I agree this site is really great for finding out some of the info that isn't easily available on the various college websites. My tips would be get thoroughly prepared with all songs, monologues etc and if ready go for early auditions before Xmas - you won't be up against foundation students and you might avoid cold and flu season. Also maybe try a couple of places that spread the net a bit as a back up. Good for a "practice" audition, confidence boost plus you might actually really like the place. The big names are all quite different and you might not love one or two of them as much as you thought whereas other places might surprise you and feel right or be a good back up.
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

Wow thanks everyone for such great advice already!
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

My dd is planning to apply to Laine , Urdang, Arts Ed, London Studio Centre, Bird, Performers, Mountview , MGA , Millenium, Bodyworks & Italia Conti.
Are there any others that she should consider ? She is a very strong singer and dancer particularly Ballet . Has had no formal drama classes apart from acting for musicals that she’s been in.
Do the colleges give out places soon after the audition or do they audition everyone over several months and then decide on successful applicants once everyone has auditioned ?
smallbythesea
BRIT Award

Post by smallbythesea »

Also if you can go for the earlier auditions, some of the bigger schools have already offered places by the time it comes to the later auditions, meaning dc go on to reserve lists if all their allocated places have been offered.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Mammamia wrote:My dd is planning to apply to Laine , Urdang, Arts Ed, London Studio Centre, Bird, Performers, Mountview , MGA , Millenium, Bodyworks & Italia Conti.
Are there any others that she should consider ? She is a very strong singer and dancer particularly Ballet . Has had no formal drama classes apart from acting for musicals that she’s been in.
Do the colleges give out places soon after the audition or do they audition everyone over several months and then decide on successful applicants once everyone has auditioned ?
Wow! That's quite a campaign :D . Without knowing obviously anything about your circumstances I'd say just be aware of the time, effort and cost of all that. You've listed 11. Most people I feel go for 5 or 6 max. Depending on where you live you may need overnight accommodation as well as travel, meals and the cost of the auditions. Also there may be a lot of preparation in terms of songs and monologues. It will also entail potentially 11 days away from school which may or may not be a problem. And I couldn't begin to imagine the stress of waiting for all those decisions :D.

Most colleges give out places along the way and even on the day for extremely talented candidates. Some wait a bit and DD may end up on reserve lists which are the bane of everyone's lives.

Wishing you every success.
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

Thanks so much for those tips lbm1E14!
I did say that 11 auditions would be quite ambitious alright but apparently I don’t understand these things ](*,)
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Mammamia wrote:Thanks so much for those tips lbm1E14!
I did say that 11 auditions would be quite ambitious alright but apparently I don’t understand these things ](*,)
We did six and that was exhausting as a parent but kids don't see that lol x If you can space them out xxx
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Mammamia wrote:My dd is planning to apply to Laine , Urdang, Arts Ed, London Studio Centre, Bird, Performers, Mountview , MGA , Millenium, Bodyworks & Italia Conti.
Wow, I say go for it..have you considerd Emil Dale Academy, great results and highly thought of too, they offer diplomas but will be offering a degree from Sept .x Good luck :D
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I would say that with 11 colleges on the list, you have plenty. I would be looking now at the audition requirements for each place if you can - some may require photos, solo songs, solo dances, monologues - start preparing as term time gets very busy. Some colleges let you choose a preferred audition date, others just add you to the next available one - and you want your DD to be ready to go as soon as those audition dates start coming through.
As others have said, each college has its own individual process - some you may hear from quickly and others may be a wait and then funding and knowing if you get it or not is different again. Some DADA colleges might offer a place initially but I don't think DADAs can be awarded until March time so its quite possible to be offered a place before Christmas but have to wait to find out if you have funding.

I also wanted to draw your attention to the CDMT and the careers conference they have in November, this year held at Urdang. It might be one date too many for you (and it costs) but a friend and her DD attended a few years ago and found it very useful to have several colleges in one place, to be able to ask questions and get answers from the staff and for her DD to try out classes. My DD has only attended as a dancer in the showcases as it was not around when we were at the application stage.
https://cdmt.org.uk/advocacy/cdmt-careers-conference