Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Givemestrength22
Nominee

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Givemestrength22 »

Hi, has anybody waited longer than the 2 weeks for a reply from GSA acting (first audition)?
DD auditioned 2 weeks ago at a regional audition and we are still waiting, where as a couple of her friends that auditioned the day before heard a week later, they were on the MT course though.
Many thanks x
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

DebbieDOos wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:47 pm Does anyone have any knowledge about Trinity Laban foundation course please or advice? . My daughter had her heart on Trinity Laban BA musical theatre and has been offered foundation . She has now also just received an offer from Chichester triple threat BA so is not sure what to do?
She has not had any training so should she do the foundation anyway so she can get more from the BA course in 2020
not sure I want to encourage her to have to reapply next year (and she might not get any BA offers next year anyway ). Anyone else had same dilemma? Thx
Hiya x well done to your dd on her offers
I can only speak for Trinity - I don’t know much about Chichester
It’s a difficult one - this year only 3 or 4 from the current foundation have been offered the BA so I would really look into Chichester before you take on the foundation and have to go through it all again next year
I also know what it’s like to not get the BA at the same college youve done foundation - it’s heartbreaking xx
Trinity is a great place but I don’t know if I’d take foundation over a BA course ](*,)
How did your dd feel about Chichester?
If her heart is set on trinity and it’s doable financially and she’s happy to go through it again next year then go for it x
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Sherbert wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:18 pm
DebbieDOos wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:47 pm Does anyone have any knowledge about Trinity Laban foundation course please or advice? . My daughter had her heart on Trinity Laban BA musical theatre and has been offered foundation . She has now also just received an offer from Chichester triple threat BA so is not sure what to do?
She has not had any training so should she do the foundation anyway so she can get more from the BA course in 2020
not sure I want to encourage her to have to reapply next year (and she might not get any BA offers next year anyway ). Anyone else had same dilemma? Thx
Hiya x well done to your dd on her offers
I can only speak for Trinity - I don’t know much about Chichester
It’s a difficult one - this year only 3 or 4 from the current foundation have been offered the BA so I would really look into Chichester before you take on the foundation and have to go through it all again next year
I also know what it’s like to not get the BA at the same college youve done foundation - it’s heartbreaking xx
Trinity is a great place but I don’t know if I’d take foundation over a BA course ](*,)
How did your dd feel about Chichester?
If her heart is set on trinity and it’s doable financially and she’s happy to go through it again next year then go for it x
This was the situation my dd was in last year. She had other offers but Trinity was her dream x After a while of thinking she decided that she didn’t want to wait and audition again next year. She chose The Hammond and absolutely loves it there. She now realises that she wasn’t ready for London. Chester is big enough for her for now and knowing she can afford to train without a job or worrying about money has been great. She still trains every day most days 8-6 and finds that tiring enough x I can 100% day it was the right decision for her and us too lol
Chelsie68
BRIT Award

Post by Chelsie68 »

Sherbert wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:18 pm
Is it possible to defer the Chichester place for a year? That way, if she didn’t get a degree place at Trinity Laban after her pre-voc, she would have a guaranteed alternative .
DebbieDOos
Nominee

Post by DebbieDOos »

Thank you all for your suggestions and good idea about asking if they will defer Chichester triple threat looks a fantastic course but Trinity Laban was the favourite but their website has very little information. So hard to compare the courses
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

My DD was offered the triple threat at Chichester a few years ago at the same time as the BA Hons at LSC. She deferred Chichester, at their suggestion actually, because they believed she was young still and she could take a gap year. She chose to go to LSC instead to see if she liked it...
She loved LSC, Chichester asked her if she still wanted the place a year later and she declined. She graduated from LSC last summer.
All that to say, deferring Chichester is not a problem.
Hope it helps.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

If you can afford it take the foundation offer. It's from her preferred college and it means they see potential in her. There is a good chance of gaining a place on degree there afterwards.

When you say she has not had any training what do you mean? No lessons outside school? No ballet or dance classes? That would be very unusual for MT.

My DD did a foundation at Bird and she is really glad she did. It's really hard work and good preparation.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Afab's suggestion is a good back up plan.
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Robin64 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:07 pm
If you can afford it take the foundation offer. It's from her preferred college and it means they see potential in her. There is a good chance of gaining a place on degree there afterwards.

When you say she has not had any training what do you mean? No lessons outside school? No ballet or dance classes? That would be very unusual for MT.

My DD did a foundation at Bird and she is really glad she did. It's really hard work and good preparation.
I didn’t realise you could defer a place so that’s deffo a great idea
I disagree about there being a good chance for BA at same college as foundation though
My son tells me only 4 have been offered BA from last years foundation - that’s not many out of 40 odd
Same happened at Mountview the year before - only 8 or 9 offered BA out of 40+
Just something to keep in mind
Foundation doesn’t guarantee a BA place anywhere just gives you a much better chance and some intense training and audition practice for a year (at a hefty cost of course)
For us foundation was a no brainier which then led to some great opportunities x
DebbieDOos
Nominee

Post by DebbieDOos »

Thank you yes to clarify she has ballet lessons and singing in the past but she is doing academic A level and not BTec /vocational or had any drama school coaching. Thank you for the suggestions
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Givemestrength22 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:58 pm Hi, has anybody waited longer than the 2 weeks for a reply from GSA acting (first audition)?
DD auditioned 2 weeks ago at a regional audition and we are still waiting, where as a couple of her friends that auditioned the day before heard a week later, they were on the MT course though.
Many thanks x
If your worried call them x we did and found out they had forgotten my dd! Another school also missed her off a notification list x so it’s worth checking x
Givemestrength22
Nominee

Post by Givemestrength22 »

Thanks Marissa,
Will give them a call on Monday x
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Givemestrength22 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:06 pm Thanks Marissa,
Will give them a call on Monday x
Goodluck x
kzgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by kzgirl »

Hi DebbieDOos
My daughter is on the triple threat at Chichester and loves it, she is in Uni at the moment at least 3 days a week 8am to around 8:30pm and the other days 8am - 6pm. The course is full on. The teachers at GSA teach at Chichester and we feel the standard of the degree course is really high. Bognor Regis is a nice place to live and not too far from London for the pupils to see west end shows etc. There isn't much on this forum about Chichester and I think it is because is is just over an hour on the train to London. If your daughter chose this course she would get as good a training as the performing arts colleges (my daughter started a diploma course at a performing arts colleges a couple of years a go and gave it up as she didn't like it) so we can make a comparison.
proudmumof-2
Nominee

Post by proudmumof-2 »

Hi I am new to this forum :D
My daughter was lucky to be offered a place on the day on the Diploma course at Bird college starting this Sept, she is only 16 so needs to be with a host family. Can anyone let me have any advice on host families within Sidcup. Wishing lots of luck to those still on the audition trail :)