Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Marissa »

Lol if I was a reluctant parent and read our posts I think it would def make me realise how hard it is and put them off!!!
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

It's up to your friend and her DD to make the decision. You can suggest she look on here - there is plenty to browse through but in the end it's up to them. It's not something to go into half heartedly and to be honest it's probably not worth trying to compromise and do a uni course that isn't the same full on hours and training as the top colleges. Audition fees are just a fact of life for this training but there is financial assistance available if that's an issue.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Meant to add. If your DD's friend is serious that she wants to do MT then she could read through previous threads to get to know more and seek advice from her dance teacher and school. I would assume she was having dance lessons and was already involved in youth theatre or singing/ choir so it wouldn't be too much of a surprise to her mother that she might want to train further. If she is academic too then it really is a matter for her and her family to decide. You can't really get too involved unless they ask you to help.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Robin64 wrote:It's up to your friend and her DD to make the decision. You can suggest she look on here - there is plenty to browse through but in the end it's up to them. It's not something to go into half heartedly and to be honest it's probably not worth trying to compromise and do a uni course that isn't the same full on hours and training as the top colleges. Audition fees are just a fact of life for this training but there is financial assistance available if that's an issue.
Not all uni based courses are half hearted! I only suggested looking at those courses classed as uni (or even those that give a degree) as it may be more palatable to parents who are academic and feel that is the natural next step.

GSA comes into this category and I would highly recommend it (so far)
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Scarytimes wrote:
Robin64 wrote:It's up to your friend and her DD to make the decision. You can suggest she look on here - there is plenty to browse through but in the end it's up to them. It's not something to go into half heartedly and to be honest it's probably not worth trying to compromise and do a uni course that isn't the same full on hours and training as the top colleges. Audition fees are just a fact of life for this training but there is financial assistance available if that's an issue.
Not all uni based courses are half hearted! I only suggested looking at those courses classed as uni (or even those that give a degree) as it may be more palatable to parents who are academic and feel that is the natural next step.

Obviously I wouldn't class GSA as anything other than a top place to train. That isn't what I meant and I didn't put it that well. There are uni MT courses offered that are not in any way comparable with far fewer contact hours and standard of training. They may suit students who are looking for a different career path but are sometimes a bit missold. All I meant was its probably better to decide on MT or academic degree rather than muddle the two together and end up with a poor compromise. My DD auditioned for GSA I know how good it is and how difficult it is to get a place.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

Robin64 wrote:
Scarytimes wrote:

Obviously I wouldn't class GSA as anything other than a top place to train. That isn't what I meant and I didn't put it that well. There are uni MT courses offered that are not in any way comparable with far fewer contact hours and standard of training. They may suit students who are looking for a different career path but are sometimes a bit missold. All I meant was its probably better to decide on MT or academic degree rather than muddle the two together and end up with a poor compromise. My DD auditioned for GSA I know how good it is and how difficult it is to get a place.
I understood what you meant, Robin, and I agree with you.
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

Scarytimes wrote:
loladd33 wrote:Hi all, it’s been great reading and keeping up with this topic! Just wanted to ask some advice for Dd’s friend. Her mum is very unsure about her applying to do musical theatre at drama school and completely blanched when I told her it was £40-50 per audition, saying it was a ripoff! Obviously she wants the best for her daughter but she thinks that is uni (her daughter is very academic) and thinks wanting to do MT is a phase that she’ll pass! What do I say and can parents who have had kids audition give me info on the process to tell her, afraid I don’t much! Thank you!
Do you think she would accept a compromise and only apply for uni- based MT courses?
I’m not sure, have asked her about joining this website but I don’t think she’s that keen - although I told her how much it has helped DD and me numerous times! I’ll keep trying x
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

Robin64 wrote:Meant to add. If your DD's friend is serious that she wants to do MT then she could read through previous threads to get to know more and seek advice from her dance teacher and school. I would assume she was having dance lessons and was already involved in youth theatre or singing/ choir so it wouldn't be too much of a surprise to her mother that she might want to train further. If she is academic too then it really is a matter for her and her family to decide. You can't really get too involved unless they ask you to help.
Thank you that’s really helpful. X
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

DD has applied for Emildale audition and her registration was acknowledged a while back. Since then there has been no communication regarding arrival time etc. It's on Monday. Has anyone done this? Is it last minute - ie they wait until they know how many are coming? Should she wait until Friday before asking? Also she understood that you are shown around on the day so hasn't signed up for the Open Day which takes place on the same day. Does anyone know whether she should have signed up separately for this? She attends the Sunday sessions so does know the set up - but it's rather unclear.
Thank you - anyone! :)
Livvyvicky
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livvyvicky »

Amo - I would drop them a line. DD is there on Monday and we have had all information plus a curtesy call to check attendance.

Sometimes their emails go into my spam, feel free to pm me.
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Thank you so much for responding. I thought it was strange. My dd has now sent off an email but is obviously concerned that she won't be prepared. We checked spam etc and we have also definitely paid. She's now signed up to the Open Day so, if needed, she'll have to audition at a later date. She's not on half term so she can't phone them either during the day. First one - and already stressed! (And that's just me!)
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Thank you LivvyVicky - I have pm'd you. :)
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

How did they get on at Emil Dale audition?
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

My dd loved the EDA audition process. They did cardio followed by dance first, then singing then monologue - all in front of different people. The singing and monologue were filmed. No drama workshop though. They were shown round and had plenty of time to ask questions. DD was recalled and had an interview. Now up to four or five weeks wait - apparently. It was a positive first audition for her regardless of the outcome - but she is of course desperate to get an offer! We're crossing our fingers!
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

amo185 wrote:My dd loved the EDA audition process. They did cardio followed by dance first, then singing then monologue - all in front of different people. The singing and monologue were filmed. No drama workshop though. They were shown round and had plenty of time to ask questions. DD was recalled and had an interview. Now up to four or five weeks wait - apparently. It was a positive first audition for her regardless of the outcome - but she is of course desperate to get an offer! We're crossing our fingers!
Aww that is brilliant. My dd used to go to the weekend school, which was amazing. Fingers crossed for your dd :D
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......