Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Felicity »

Well DD got through to the interview stage at her GSA recall today but is not convinced she will get an offer. There were about 30ish there (only 4 were boys) and I think DD said 6 got asked to stay for an interview, including DD and her friend from the Arts Ed Foundation. DD told me they would hear back in 2 weeks.

I think I remember someone saying about their DS getting an offer directly after the interview so am thinking it could be a no or reserve for DD. This waiting business is awful but DD seems ok and has taken herself off to a jazz club with her Arts Ed pals. Sounds fun!
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Felicity wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:43 pm Well DD got through to the interview stage at her GSA recall today but is not convinced she will get an offer. There were about 30ish there (only 4 were boys) and I think DD said 6 got asked to stay for an interview, including DD and her friend from the Arts Ed Foundation. DD told me they would hear back in 2 weeks.

I think I remember someone saying about their DS getting an offer directly after the interview so am thinking it could be a no or reserve for DD. This waiting business is awful but DD seems ok and has taken herself off to a jazz club with her Arts Ed pals. Sounds fun!
Well done to her for today x fingers crossed
And good luck for Arts - it’s always hard when you’re auditioning somewhere you’ve done a foundation and just want to stay where you know and you’re comfy xx
And of course Mountview recalls - 3 great colleges there ;)
MTlover123
BRIT Award

Post by MTlover123 »

A big well done to your dd felicity for the recall and I hope she gets what she wants. This process is tough but fingers crossed they’ll all get the places that suit them at the end of the process.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Felicity wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:43 pm Well DD got through to the interview stage at her GSA recall today but is not convinced she will get an offer. There were about 30ish there (only 4 were boys) and I think DD said 6 got asked to stay for an interview, including DD.

I think I remember someone saying about their DS getting an offer directly after the interview so am thinking it could be a no or reserve for DD.
My DS got offer at interview GSA last year and I know others who did interview and were offered later, and some told no on the day after the interview, so not necessarily bad news. I absolutely hated all the waiting - such a rollercoaster.

Fingers crossed for good news from at least one of the three!
sailorgirluae
BRIT Award

Post by sailorgirluae »

Felicity wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:43 pm Well DD got through to the interview stage at her GSA recall today but is not convinced she will get an offer. There were about 30ish there (only 4 were boys) and I think DD said 6 got asked to stay for an interview, including DD and her friend from the Arts Ed Foundation. DD told me they would hear back in 2 weeks.

Well done to you DD on getting to the interview. Such tough competition. The waiting is horrible! Fingers crossed she makes it to one of the 3 - all great schools.
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

Thanks for all the best wishes, we will keep everything crossed. Good to know there may still be a chance.
She already has an offer from Urdang (which she is really pleased about) but I think her heart was set on Arts or GSA.

Support on this forum is great as I think it’s only parents of DC going down this road really understand. I remember last year when DD was in the sixth form and her telling me how her friends were getting offers from top Universities just by filling in their UCAS forms (it was a very academic school). Meanwhile only DD was auditioning time after time for this more vocational route. Most of her friends didn’t get why it is so difficult and there were only a couple of teachers who really understood why. This year has been easier to some extent as all around her are in the same boat and she feels “at home”. None of us (her family) are connected to the performing arts but we have always been behind her, which I know has meant a lot too.

My very best wishes to all those still waiting x

P.S. We should compile our experiences as parents and write a book!
go for it
BRIT Award

Post by go for it »

Felicity wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:43 am Thanks for all the best wishes, we will keep everything crossed. Good to know there may still be a chance.
She already has an offer from Urdang (which she is really pleased about) but I think her heart was set on Arts or GSA.

Support on this forum is great as I think it’s only parents of DC going down this road really understand. I remember last year when DD was in the sixth form and her telling me how her friends were getting offers from top Universities just by filling in their UCAS forms (it was a very academic school). Meanwhile only DD was auditioning time after time for this more vocational route. Most of her friends didn’t get why it is so difficult and there were only a couple of teachers who really understood why. This year has been easier to some extent as all around her are in the same boat and she feels “at home”. None of us (her family) are connected to the performing arts but we have always been behind her, which I know has meant a lot too.

Well done to your DD Felicity, my daughter is in a similar position, awaiting Artsed result, reserve at GSA, offers Laines and Bird.It does feel a lot easier knowing they already have an offer. Although I've only recently joined,I agree this forum has been a great support.Yes the route is very different to normal Uni degrees but also exciting and lovely to allow them to follow their dreams. I was lucky to have very supportive parents and followed my dreams allowing me to have a job that I would happily do voluntarily but I'm lucky enough to get paid for it! Your DD is lucky to have such supportive parents, . Wishing her the very best.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

I have been following this fab website and amazing post for so long and FINALLY managed to set up my account so I can post myself. The information I have gained from here during my DD’s journey has been invaluable, she regularly tells me I should write my own blog from everything I now know that a year ago I had no clue about. DD is 17, just finishing Alevels and has been through auditions at Urdang, Performers and Bird in January, Urdang was first and a tough no but she was so lucky to be offered Foundation at both Bird and Performers and has accepted Performers. We will have all this to go through again next year but hopefully she will have another year’s experience and learn all the tricks she found she was lacking this year.

Any info/help re Pre-Vocational at Performers would be appreciated but she absolutely loved the place so can’t wait to get started. Now just need to receive the accommodation info and I’m sure the panic will start all over again. DD currently has best friend going through her auditions so is appreciating how lucky she is to know where she is going. Didn’t realise at the beginning how stressful and tough it was all going to be but like I said, this thread has been a godsend!
Chelsie68
BRIT Award

Post by Chelsie68 »

Shall be interested how your daughter finds the pre-voc at Performers. It’s only 25mins drive/bus from us and my daughter (only 13, but thinking ahead) is really keen to go there. She is doing summer school there in July - she’s very excited!
Last edited by Chelsie68 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
itsalongshot
BRIT Award

Post by itsalongshot »

Well done on getting to the interview stage, that’s a huge achievement. Yes mine was offered after interview but some are also offered later as well. Fingers crossed for her.
MygirlsloveMT
GRAMMY Award

Post by MygirlsloveMT »

Chelsie68 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:27 pm Shall be interested how your daughter finds the pre-voc at Performers. It’s only 25mins drive/bus from us and my daughter (only 13, but thinking ahead) is really keen to go there. She is doing summer school there in July - she’s very excited!
Would be more than happy to let you know. My other DD is in Y9 and also wants to go into Musical Theatre. She did Urdang summer school in 2018 and I said she could do another in 2020 so would be good for her to try somewhere else. Summer School was amazing to give them an insight into what is out there, was a bit of a wake up call for my two, they have both danced since they were 3 and having singing lessons etc, but it became apparent that they were seriously missing an Acro lesson!

And you are SO lucky being so close, it is a good 3hr drive from us and not much quicker on the train so going to be a bit of a shock when she moves out, but that’s where she fell in love with at auditions so...,...
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

go for it wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:52 am
Felicity wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:43 am Thanks for all the best wishes, we will keep everything crossed. Good to know there may still be a chance.

Well done to your DD Felicity, my daughter is in a similar position, awaiting Artsed result, reserve at GSA, offers Laines and Bird.It does feel a lot easier knowing they already have an offer. Although I've only recently joined,I agree this forum has been a great support.Yes the route is very different to normal Uni degrees but also exciting and lovely to allow them to follow their dreams. I was lucky to have very supportive parents and followed my dreams allowing me to have a job that I would happily do voluntarily but I'm lucky enough to get paid for it! Your DD is lucky to have such supportive parents, . Wishing her the very best.
Best of luck to your DD too!
I’m intrigued about what your job is - sounds amazing.
My background is research science so couldn’t be further from MT 😂, although as a family we have always enjoyed shows and music right from when the DC were little. I have really enjoyed the learning experience with DD. And I especially enjoy overhearing her sing in the shower (husband says she uses it as her own personal rehearsal studio!)! Shall miss all that when she’s gone :(
itsalongshot
BRIT Award

Post by itsalongshot »

Its True Felicity you certainly do miss them but all I can say is each time mine comes home from Arts its like they've never been away, and the singing around the house is just so lovely to hear again. :D
go for it
BRIT Award

Post by go for it »

Felicity wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:44 am
go for it wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:52 am

Best of luck to your DD too!
I’m intrigued about what your job is - sounds amazing.
My background is research science so couldn’t be further from MT 😂, although as a family we have always enjoyed shows and music right from when the DC were little. I have really enjoyed the learning experience with DD. And I especially enjoy overhearing her sing in the shower (husband says she uses it as her own personal rehearsal studio!)! Shall miss all that when she’s gone :(
Have pm'd you.
Borobird
Nominee

Post by Borobird »

I am posting this in the hope that it gives you some idea of timings and encourages your DC not to give up hope.This is a stressful time but things do work out. DS auditioned for GSA last year and got an offer. He heard about a week after the first audition that he had a got a recall and then at the recall he was kept back for an interview. Following this he had an unconditional offer from them after a week. He had already got the academic requirements as he was on a gap year. As this was on UCAS he was able to hold the offer until the rest of his auditions had finished. He had other offers and knew by the middle of June that he was not going to go to GSA. He let them know as soon as he knew and his place was offered to someone on the reserve list. To those of you who are on reserve lists do not give up hope. There seemed to be quite a lot of movement last year in June and early July. This is because final audition recalls for some of the drama school acting course do not take place until May and so offers for these courses are made much later. I hope this helps!