Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Kingswayqueen
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Kingswayqueen »

Soclose wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:40 pm I feel your pain there! So hard to know whether to take a gamble or not.... we too have been told this year is moving very slow x
Have you given them a ring/email to see whereabouts your DD is on the list? Will ring again in a couple of weeks, see if any change at all x
Soclose
BRIT Award

Post by Soclose »

Kingswayqueen wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:01 pm
Soclose wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:40 pm I feel your pain there! So hard to know whether to take a gamble or not.... we too have been told this year is moving very slow x
Have you given them a ring/email to see whereabouts your DD is on the list? Will ring again in a couple of weeks, see if any change at all x
Hi, I’ve sent you a pm.... I think!
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

DS went to look round Bird last week. He was very fortunate to be offered a DaDA and realised he hadn't actually seen much when he went for his audition. However he did find out that all the funding offers had gone out (about 40 students) and that this year most of them are being accepted which is why there is so little movement. I really wish it was better news for all of you waiting and although there will be some movement it doesn't look like it will be much or soon. I guess there will be some after A level results (where degree applicants move up from diploma to degree when other students drop out) and possibly after GCSE results when some diploma students might pull out, but that's a long time to wait. Perhaps at this point a plan B might be useful (something I forgot to do with DS number 1 and got caught out!). Even DS has a plan B in case he breaks a leg or something before September. I really hope you do get some good news - whether soon or later on, and fingers crossed for you all x
Littleone
BRIT Award

Post by Littleone »

Hi All
Regarding A Level ( and GCSE ) results .. does anyone know if the colleges are at all flexible on entry requirements ? Am thinking more for degree ? I think we may be close to the line in August :?

Very much thinking of all those waiting .... DD is fortunate to have a degree offer ... but we will be waiting until August 15th to know if she can take it !
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

I'm interested in the concept of "moving up" from diploma to degree. Not everyone would choose a degree course over a diploma. In fact update on DD's friend - offered degree at Bird last week - but was called on Friday to be offered a DADA for Diploma which she didn't expect and is swapping as that is her preferred option. I believe contact hours at Bird are similar though not identical for degree and diploma, whereas at Urdang for example there is a significant difference (20% fewer vocational classes - perhaps someone knows for certain the figures) and a shorter year unless you pay the top up fees.
I think it all needs so much research! Still - there may be a degree offer coming out to someone tomorrow for Bird! (Not sure if it works like that though!)
Tiptaptoe
Nominee

Post by Tiptaptoe »

amo185 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:25 pm I'm interested in the concept of "moving up" from diploma to degree. Not everyone would choose a degree course over a diploma. In fact update on DD's friend - offered degree at Bird last week - but was called on Friday to be offered a DADA for Diploma which she didn't expect and is swapping as that is her preferred option. I believe contact hours at Bird are similar though not identical for degree and diploma, whereas at Urdang for example there is a significant difference (20% fewer vocational classes - perhaps someone knows for certain the figures) and a shorter year unless you pay the top up fees.
I think it all needs so much research! Still - there may be a degree offer coming out to someone tomorrow for Bird! (Not sure if it works like that though!)
Congratulations to your DD’s friend! I believe the contact hours are the same for degree and diploma at Bird as the classes are a mix of the two. It’s just Degree have more lectures etc compared to diploma which is less written & contextual work. Still waiting for DD to get off reserve, fingers crossed for everyone
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

amo185 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:25 pm I'm interested in the concept of "moving up" from diploma to degree. Not everyone would choose a degree course over a diploma. In fact update on DD's friend - offered degree at Bird last week - but was called on Friday to be offered a DADA for Diploma which she didn't expect and is swapping as that is her preferred option. I believe contact hours at Bird are similar though not identical for degree and diploma, whereas at Urdang for example there is a significant difference (20% fewer vocational classes - perhaps someone knows for certain the figures) and a shorter year unless you pay the top up fees.
From other threads from previous years I believe that some degree applicants are offered diplomas (kind of like being at the top of the reserve list for a degree) and then can be moved up to the degree as places become available which frees places on the diploma. I think it also depends on what you originally applied for, so "moving up" will mean moving to your preference. At least that's my understanding but happy to be corrected if I'm wrong ....
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

DD in 2nd year at Bird and still loving it.
I know its not ideal but she was offered Performers and was on reserve for Bird and adamant that was where she wanted to train.
We asked Bird if she could do Foundation there so she knew she had a place and we could sort accommodation etc.. but stay on the reverse list.
Luckily she got offered degree 2 days into the start of term.
If we had paid for accommodation and fees for Performers could not have afforded to move and loose it.
Does mean however you would have to pay for the foundation. At the time there was housing benefit but believe not offered now ?
Degree and Diploma have the same amount of lessons and are in mixed classes apart from the academic ones.
Its a full out week and runs till middle of July.
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Its the Bird show by the way 11th to 13th July at Orchard Theatre in Dartford.
Kingswayqueen
BRIT Award

Post by Kingswayqueen »

dancemom43 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:48 pm DD in 2nd year at Bird and still loving it.
I know its not ideal but she was offered Performers and was on reserve for Bird and adamant that was where she wanted to train.
We asked Bird if she could do Foundation there so she knew she had a place and we could sort accommodation etc.. but stay on the reverse list.
If we had paid for accommodation and fees for Performers could not have afforded to move and loose it.
Does mean however you would have to pay for the foundation. At the time there was housing benefit but believe not offered now ?
Degree and Diploma have the same amount of lessons and are in mixed classes apart from the academic ones.
So pleased to hear your DD is still loving it! I think if this had been us last year we would maybe have done the same, but as she's had a year out she really wants to get stuck in now (plus the thought of a 3rd year of auditions just makes me feel ill haha!). A great idea though, my DD was offered the foundation last year and we didn't really know much about it all, we just thought everyone got offered it! In hindsight that might have been a good idea to do, but she did say she felt she wasn't ready for a full-on 3 year course and needed some time to get some work experience in, pass her driving test and just be free of exams. She's ready to go all guns firing, just need to see if it'll be Bird or Arden! x
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Kingswayqueen wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:08 pm
dancemom43 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:48 pm DD in 2nd year at Bird and still loving it.
So pleased to hear your DD is still loving it! I think if this had been us last year we would maybe have done the same, but as she's had a year out she really wants to get stuck in now (plus the thought of a 3rd year of auditions just makes me feel ill haha!). A great idea though, my DD was offered the foundation last year and we didn't really know much about it all, we just thought everyone got offered it! In hindsight that might have been a good idea to do, but she did say she felt she wasn't ready for a full-on 3 year course and needed some time to get some work experience in, pass her driving test and just be free of exams. She's ready to go all guns firing, just need to see if it'll be Bird or Arden! x
I very much believe things happen for a reason and work out for the right reasons in the end so either way I am sure your DD will end up where she is meant to be xx
Soclose
BRIT Award

Post by Soclose »

Hi there, such a great end to your DD’s journey....can I please ask whereabouts your DD was on the reserve list initially (at the end of auditions) x
dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Post by dancemom43 »

Soclose wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:45 pm
Hi there, such a great end to your DD’s journey....can I please ask whereabouts your DD was on the reserve list initially (at the end of auditions) x
We were told she was around the middle. x
Soclose
BRIT Award

Post by Soclose »

Dancemom43 thankyou. My DD also around the middle. Also on Italia Conti’s waiting list but they can’t say where she is on the list until all acceptances of offers are in. We will know by mid July at latest.
They must work in a totally different way to Bird.
Is anyone else on here on Italia Conti waiting list?x
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

congratulations to everyone who has a place for this year...is anyones dd or ds going to Bodyworks Cambridge?
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......