Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

afab
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by afab »

Rose20 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:45 pm That is what I understood as well. It is a shame as it limits the option to study for a new career if things don’t work out.
Definitely! Hence the trying to find a drama or dance school that offers a degree... Well done to Laines, LSC and a few others for offering both a diploma and a degree!
icantdance
GRAMMY Award

Post by icantdance »

Thanks everybody that's what I thought it might mean after looking at the gov.uk rules. I had always thought you could get finance once, whatever you had done before as long as it was your first degree. I agree it's a shame as it does limit you in the future .... not just if it doesn't work out, but dancing has a finite lifetime and there will come a point where the flexibility goes and they're "too old" to dance, so retraining would be a really good thing. DS was thinking of dance/sports physio when he's older and needs a second career but without any funding that would be unlikely! Might need a long-term rethink :roll: but that won't stop him in the short-term!!
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

The other option is to do a diploma at a lower level than 6 so he can keep his higher education funding for a sports physio degree later on?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

But most Level 3 Btec etc are not considered to be professional training.

Anything Level 4 and above is considered Higher Education. Level 4 would be a HNC. Level 5 a HND or a couple of colleges do the Level 5 diploma (ENB, Tring for those who wish to leave after 2 years) and a couple of the acting schools who offer two year rather than 3 year courses.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Apologies for being a bit vague and not remembering the details, but something worth bearing in mind for future “fall back” strategies. I’ve been led to believe that A levels are only valid for 5 years for getting into Uni and beyond that you can be required to do an entry year/qualification. I’m sure someone out there will correct me if I’m wrong or give more accurate information.
go for it
BRIT Award

Post by go for it »

lbm1e14 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:17 pm Apologies for being a bit vague and not remembering the details, but something worth bearing in mind for future “fall back” strategies. I’ve been led to believe that A levels are only valid for 5 years for getting into Uni and beyond that you can be required to do an entry year/qualification. I’m sure someone out there will correct me if I’m wrong or give more accurate information.
I dont know about that, a friend of mine went back to Uni at the age of 50 to do a nutrition degree, I remember her saying she had to provide her A level results and was trying to route them out.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Institutions will want to see evidence of recent academic study so if its a long time sonce you did a qualification you may indeed have to complete some kind of access course to show that you still have the necessary study skills.
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

2dancersmum wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:58 pm We have been at open days and auditions for the level 6 diploma courses where this question has been asked and the answer was that no you cannot get a student loan if you have done the level 6 diploma, even if you did not receive a DADA for the course . This is because the trinity level 6 diploma is higher education and a student loan is only available for your first higher education qualification. We were told it is also because of how funding is allocated for students. One of the reasons the DADA is not a loan is because the government pays an amount per head for all higher education students - this goes direct to universities but as the colleges offering the DADA courses are private, they do not receive this government subsidy so it is offered by way of DADA instead - or something along those lines.

Bottom line is - student finance is only available for your first higher education qualification so if you have a level 6 diploma then in theory you do not qualify. In practice I do know of students who still got student finance (I believe) who have gone on to do degrees in other subjects after completing a level 6 diploma but I do not think you can go into it assuming that student finance would be available.

The exception for student finance after the level 6 diploma is for the conversion or 'top-up' courses - that are on offer for those with a diploma wanting to convert it to a degree. Student finance is available for these courses.
I do remember BW company mentioning that one of their students was able to turn there diploma into a degree by doing a 12 month dissertation, which you could do along side working no mention of funding... I know you can apply for a career loan from the age of 18 which helps with a diploma, this doesn't have to be paid back until you finish studying, but as I understand the interest once you do start paying back is high, so advise you switch it out at that point to a loan with a better rate.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Career Development Loans no longer exist.

Advanced Learner Loans are available for some learners who are aged 19 or over at the start of their course.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

It's very quiet at the moment... Nothing new is happening?
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

afab wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:26 pm It's very quiet at the moment... Nothing new is happening?
Things might be moving at Performers. Have seen a few Instagram / Twitter posts of offers or confirmation of offers from the college

Fingers crossed for those still waiting
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Munchpot wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:49 pm
afab wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:26 pm It's very quiet at the moment... Nothing new is happening?
Things might be moving at Performers. Have seen a few Instagram / Twitter posts of offers or confirmation of offers from the college

Fingers crossed for those still waiting
Haven’t seen much here about Laine recalls. I remember the panicked waiting we had last year when results were delayed for several weeks!
go for it
BRIT Award

Post by go for it »

I think the delays are due to the people who already have offers of dadas being late sending in proof of income. I had a phone call Friday asking for the same. This was a mistake as we had two weeks prior declined the offer!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

We were being chased for proof of income last year as were several others we know. The issue being that employers have until 19th May to give you your P60/P11D whereas the colleges needed it sooner.
mumofshowgirl
Nominee

Post by mumofshowgirl »

Anyone know when information gets sent out for the Diploma at Urdang Academy. Specifics like exact term dates, clothing requirements and time tables? Thanks all and good luck to all those still waiting for places. =D> :D