Auditioning for Sept 2019

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019

Post by Newbe2018 »

I don't think 11 is that many, as long as you don't mind the costs, every audition is a positive experience. if you read some posts from previous years dd's and ds's have redone the whole process the following year on result of not getting a place. It's a stressful year all round for the whole family, so if you can secure an offer, it's done and dusted. My dd did 8 auditions and received 6 offers, though we didn't do our full research and ended up auditioning for Wickes which dd loved but did not offer the right course for her, important to do your home work on what each college offers. DD really like performers before starting to audition but after all auditions were done, she fell in love with Bodywork's and Bird, they really get a fell for the place once they've danced there, pleased to say she's off to Bird September. best of luck to you all x
Mammamia
BRIT Award

Post by Mammamia »

Many thanks newbe18. Well done to your dd. What an amazing achievement. Best of luck to her with her course!
Livvyvicky
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livvyvicky »

Hi all,

We are in on this thread as DD is auditioning this year - feeling a little overwhelmed but really glad I spent time following the 2018 thread as loads of fantastic information on there (thanks guys). First audition booked at EDA and then looking to do the others when they open.

Reading through so far .... it really seems to be a very personal decision as to how many you apply for. Everyone has an opinion, for very different reasons and it varies depending on your DC, time and cost. Does anyone else worry about year group size at some places? Any thoughts on where the best places are for different strengths....................

:D
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

Hi everyone, I can offer lots of info and advise on all the straight acting Drama schools if anyone needs any info on auditions, requirements, monologues and what happens in each round. MY DS auditioned for most of them before being offered a place this year at BOV, so we have been through the mill. Happy to be a sounding board. Its a tough road ahead for most auditioning this year with very few places on offer at straight drama schools, ask me anything!
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Rhymie wrote:Hi everyone, I can offer lots of info and advise on all the straight acting Drama schools if anyone needs any info on auditions, requirements, monologues and what happens in each round. MY DS auditioned for most of them before being offered a place this year at BOV, so we have been through the mill. Happy to be a sounding board. Its a tough road ahead for most auditioning this year with very few places on offer at straight drama schools, ask me anything!
Hi did your DS audition for NYT? DD tried for the first time on their very last audition days - a tutor had told her to go for it and there was only one day left. She thought it went well but didn't get in. Any tips? She will try again this year.
VaguelyStagey
Nominee

Post by VaguelyStagey »

Hi, DD is going into y13 and will be applying to straight drama schools this year. We know the acceptance stats are scarily low so all advice welcome.
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

[/quote]Hi did your DS audition for NYT? DD tried for the first time on their very last audition days - a tutor had told her to go for it and there was only one day left. She thought it went well but didn't get in. Any tips? She will try again this year.[/quote]

Hi There Yes he got into NYT when he was 15 and had a fantastic 3 week summer school that year in London. He then had casting auditions each year and did some development work with them for a couple of years. They had huge issues the year before last, with a production set in schools about extremism which was cancelled in the end, as it was extremely controversial. It is a good course BUT it doesn't really add anything after that. Its expensive each year, no costs are covered to get to any casting, or during any development work they do. (this is where they test new work internally) Laterally it became very PC driven and I think many kids just felt left out. She should apply because its a good taste of the auditions process and if she is selected then the summer course then that is a good but very expensive experience. PM if you need more details :-)
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

Hi,

I went through all this last year with DS who was applying for Musical Theatre post 18 courses. I found it a minefield with all the different audition requirements and funding options. I wrote a blog about my experiences to help some friends who were looking to apply this year.
https://dgtherunner.wordpress.com/2018/ ... re-degree/

It doesn't cover everything and there is a wealth of advice on here that goes over and above and lots of excellent advice about colleges that I hadn't even heard of, but all of whom offer excellent courses. I just tried to distill some of the information I found into one place. And obviously requirements may have changed for this year!

Good luck. It is an exhausting few months, but fingers crossed your DCs will all find the perfect course for them.
VaguelyStagey
Nominee

Post by VaguelyStagey »

DGtgerunner - thanks for posting the link to your blog, really interesting and very generous of you to share. I’ve just read it, and could I ask you about your advice to apply early? On the face if it that feels counter-intuitive as the later you leave it in the year, the better your skills would be. Please can you expand on that a bit?
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

Hi VaguelyStagey,

Yes, even applying by October the majority of my DS's auditions were after Christmas, some were in March and then recalls after that. Many of the most popular schools have limited audition spaces too, so we were advised to treat it like Oxbridge if you want to go to the most popular schools.
VaguelyStagey
Nominee

Post by VaguelyStagey »

That’s really interesting and very helpful! Thank you!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Great blog DGtherunner x
smallbythesea
BRIT Award

Post by smallbythesea »

We applied in October. My dds auditions were jan and Feb. I know what you mean by leaving it later but some of the big schools "offer" places by March (some schools auditions start as early as october) which means if they want You,you're put on the reserve list and you're hoping someone gives their place back.x
smallbythesea
BRIT Award

Post by smallbythesea »

DGtherunner wrote:Hi,

I went through all this last year with DS who was applying for Musical Theatre post 18 courses. I found it a minefield with all the different audition requirements and funding options. I wrote a blog about my experiences to help some friends who were looking to apply this year.
https://dgtherunner.wordpress.com/2018/ ... re-degree/

It doesn't cover everything and there is a wealth of advice on here that goes over and above and lots of excellent advice about colleges that I hadn't even heard of, but all of whom offer excellent courses. I just tried to distill some of the information I found into one place. And obviously requirements may have changed for this year!

Good luck. It is an exhausting few months, but fingers crossed your DCs will all find the perfect course for them.

Great blog.x
VaguelyStagey
Nominee

Post by VaguelyStagey »

Rhymie, was your DS experience the same for drama school, ie, apply early?