Housing benefit for BTEC and Foundation 16-18

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Cosmicdancer
Nominee

Re: Housing benefit for BTEC and Foundation 16-18

Post by Cosmicdancer »

Just been in to claim housing benefit though have to get through the universal credit interview first.

Apparently we are not eligible

Anyone else been successful now that you have to go through UC
Cosmicdancer
Nominee

Post by Cosmicdancer »

You cannot get UC (below the age of 18) and thus housing benefit unless.....
• your ability to work is limited by a disability or health
condition
• you are waiting for an assessment to see whether your
ability to work is limited by a disability or health condition
(and you have given us a fit note from your doctor saying
you are unable to work right now)
• you are caring for a severely disabled person most of the
time
• you are responsible for a child
• you are part of a couple who are responsible for a child or
a young person, with one of you already getting paid
Universal Credit
• you are pregnant and it is 11 weeks or less from your
expected date of childbirth
• you were pregnant and it has been 15 weeks or less since
your actual date of childbirth
• you are without parents, or someone in place of your
parents, looking after you

Looks like none of us fit into the criteria anymore? HELP
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

those who are under 22 and not in higher education (this means that you are in any education after the age of 16, up to and including GCE 'A' Level or BTEC National Diploma or National Certificate, whether or not the course leads to a qualification);

This is on the website for Manchester council about students that can claim housing benefit. This is the rule used for our claim last year. DD was 18 but this says over 16. So unless the rules have changed since September 2017 this should still apply. We had to appeal a no decision but we won and it was backdated to September. It took 3 months. Has universal credit come in since last year? If so perhaps law has changed but worth following up. Don't give up too easily. This rule seems to be little known. It's about non advanced education - not covered by student finance.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benef ... al-Credit/

I just used this and it said UC isn't applicable in the area my DD is going to be living.
I take that to be at the moment, this can change. I am going to call the council today and see if they have a date in mind.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

This is on Gov.uk website. By reading it if you have parental support (which all of our kids have) then it probably won't be paid. Although our kids have our support, Housing Benefit whilst on a Foundation Course would really help us as accommodation costs are so high on top of the cost of the courses. We have an interview next week so will let you know how we get on but from reading below it is looking unlikely - unfair in my opinion especially if other counties still allow as they haven't yet moved over to universal Credits. :cry:

Universal Credit if you’re studying full-time
You may be able to get Universal Credit if you’re studying full-time and any of the following apply:

you’re aged 21 or under, in full-time non-advanced education and do not have parental support
you’re responsible for a child
you live with your partner and they’re eligible for Universal Credit
you’ve reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit and live with a partner who is under that age
you’re disabled and have limited capability for work and are getting:
Personal Independence Payment
Disability Living Allowance
Attendance Allowance
Armed Forces Independence Payment
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

It looks like if it is universal credit they have indeed made it impossible to claim for housing by the "parental support" clause. This seems outrageous if some areas allow the old rule from last year and some do not if UC has been rolled out.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Without parental support means they have to be an orphan or completely estranged. What a comprehensive get out.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Bird college. I have looked at the roll out for UC using the bird college postcode. It gives 24th October 2018 as the roll out date for UC new claims for sidcup. You may be entitled to start a claim under the old housing benefit rules before this date. DO NOT DELAY starting a claim. Check postcode if you are in halls as this is in the Greenwich council area not Bexley.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Looks like Greenwich is set for October too which would be your local council for bird college Avery halls. Foundation students might still be able to claim Hb under old system.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Also Guildford looks like October too for GSA & other Guildford schools. Good luck folks. Yet another rug gets pulled out from under our kids. We really would have struggled to fund DD without the help of housing benefit last year for her foundation.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

You can still claim current benefits and tax credits until Universal Credit is introduced to your area.

Find out when Universal Credit might be introduced to your area by using our postcode checker.

This is from Bristol council website. It may mean there is a tiny window for some foundation students & I think those doing other non advanced courses before UC. There has been news about a move to pause the UC rollout although most places seem to have changed by now.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

With housing benefit after a break of a certain amount of time eg Summer break I think you need to re apply so,what if UC is in force after you re apply, what if they then refuse the benefit ?100 ' s of students would face financial difficulties.
Belledancer
BRIT Award

Post by Belledancer »

Just wanted to wish all these amazing parents and their dancing children all the very best over the next couple of weeks as we send them off the their various destinations. What a year it's been. Bittersweet feelings as Dd and I pack her of to Laine this week! So much stuff and a trip to Ikea on the schedule. Luckily it's a 90 minute drive so am sure I will be whizzing around the M25 a few times! I
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Belledancer wrote:Just wanted to wish all these amazing parents and their dancing children all the very best over the next couple of weeks as we send them off the their various destinations. What a year it's been. Bittersweet feelings as Dd and I pack her of to Laine this week! So much stuff and a trip to Ikea on the schedule. Luckily it's a 90 minute drive so am sure I will be whizzing around the M25 a few times! I
Wishing her all the best at Laine. It is hard letting them go off isn’t it?
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

Update for Universal Credit - not eligible as under 18 years of age and with Parental Support. This is for Thurrock Council. Quite gutted as to find a further £490.00 per month for accommodation costs plus extra to send DD is going to put us under a lot of strain. i guess the Government expects us parents to get in to debt!!