Housing benefit for BTEC and Foundation 16-18

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Bean
Nominee

Re: Housing benefit for BTEC and Foundation 16-18

Post by Bean »

lotsolaffs wrote:It is £57 per week.
Your DC will be asked how rent is topped up and what they live on at a much later stage.
All of this information comes through as the claim progresses, you think you have answered everything you need to and then there is a request for something else.
Make a copy of the claim form, collect all you need in advance and be ready to send in at the earliest opportunity.
You will need
Bank statements most recent 2/3 months I think.
Wage slips if any 3 most recent. However if working give it up,not worth the hassle.
ID
Letter of proof of study from the college
Tenancy agreement - or a letter detailing terms of rental.
Good luck to any claiming,no idea what will happen when UC comes into force.
Exactly all this above. We had to write a letter to explain how much we were supporting DD. We explained we were simply giving her the child benefit we still get as she is in education and which is frankly all we can afford. She got her award through today. No idea if it will stand when UC comes in. Good luck everyone - we only accepted because we knew her rent could be covered as that would have been the final straw in her not being able to go.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Send all correspondence for Hb special delivery. It costs more but nothing can go astray.
sailorgirluae
BRIT Award

Post by sailorgirluae »

Thanks everyone - he has found the letter they sent requesting additional info - putting it all together for him. Difficult as we live overseas so not 'on hand' to directly help. Will revise the letter I have drafted for him so say that we had had to support him as he has no other income but cannot continue moving forward. He has got himself a parttime job but the demands of the course means he is unlikely to do more than 8 hours a week and it is a zero hours contract. Trying to get everything back asap before the dreaded UC comes in.

Fingers crossed.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

sailorgirluae wrote:Thanks everyone - he has found the letter they sent requesting additional info - putting it all together for him. Difficult as we live overseas so not 'on hand' to directly help. Will revise the letter I have drafted for him so say that we had had to support him as he has no other income but cannot continue moving forward. He has got himself a parttime job but the demands of the course means he is unlikely to do more than 8 hours a week and it is a zero hours contract. Trying to get everything back asap before the dreaded UC comes in.

Fingers crossed.
Really hard when you are so far away and I find that however organised DD/DS is, they aren't used to the sheer amount of hassle involved with government applications for anything! Too right it is full on at GSA from 9am-9pm (with a few timetable gaps and lunch) so I'm impressed with him managing any part-time work and looking after himself.
sailorgirluae
BRIT Award

Post by sailorgirluae »

Scarytimes wrote:
sailorgirluae wrote:Thanks everyone - he has found the letter they sent requesting additional info - putting it all together for him. Difficult as we live overseas so not 'on hand' to directly help. Will revise the letter I have drafted for him so say that we had had to support him as he has no other income but cannot continue moving forward. He has got himself a parttime job but the demands of the course means he is unlikely to do more than 8 hours a week and it is a zero hours contract. Trying to get everything back asap before the dreaded UC comes in.

Fingers crossed.
Really hard when you are so far away and I find that however organised DD/DS is, they aren't used to the sheer amount of hassle involved with government applications for anything! Too right it is full on at GSA from 9am-9pm (with a few timetable gaps and lunch) so I'm impressed with him managing any part-time work and looking after himself.

Yeah he is doing OK at the minute especially has he has been unwell :-( - not sure he was so impressed with his part time job when he had to get up this morning.
Bean
Nominee

Post by Bean »

sailorgirluae wrote:
Scarytimes wrote:

Fingers crossed.

Yeah he is doing OK at the minute especially has he has been unwell :-( - not sure he was so impressed with his part time job when he had to get up this morning.
It seems a few of them are a bit poorly. I insisted my DD came home for a couple of days over the weekend as she was really quite unwell. She still can’t hear in one ear !! I think someone else went home with tonsillitis. It’s a long long day and a full on start. Hope they all recover soon.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

General health maintenance is so important especially in that first year. Vitamins, vocal steamer, wash hands and bring a mini hand sanitizer to occasionally use. Get thinking about every way about keeping healthy mentally and physically during training. Getting enough sleep and taking time out to relax. It's about moving into being professional about looking after yourself. Sign up with local gp. It's lovely to get them back home to spoil. Big love to our amazing kids eh?
coolcatsmomma
BRIT Award

Post by coolcatsmomma »

Success! :D DD has finally been given HB she applied on 14 Sep and has had to provide follow up info three times - she had no replies to any of her emails and ended up going into the council offices three times to try and sort it out. So all the previous advice about perseverance was spot-on. Thank you \:D/
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

That's great. Well done!
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

What area is that coolcat?
coolcatsmomma
BRIT Award

Post by coolcatsmomma »

Robin64 wrote:What area is that coolcat?
Hi Robin - it was Guildford - foundation course
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Great news!!
sailorgirluae
BRIT Award

Post by sailorgirluae »

coolcatsmomma wrote:Success! :D DD has finally been given HB she applied on 14 Sep and has had to provide follow up info three times - she had no replies to any of her emails and ended up going into the council offices three times to try and sort it out. So all the previous advice about perseverance was spot-on. Thank you \:D/

That's great we are on second follow up letter so hopefully soon!
coolcatsmomma
BRIT Award

Post by coolcatsmomma »

sailorgirluae wrote:
coolcatsmomma wrote:Success! :D DD has finally been given HB she applied on 14 Sep and has had to provide follow up info three times - she had no replies to any of her emails and ended up going into the council offices three times to try and sort it out. So all the previous advice about perseverance was spot-on. Thank you \:D/

Fingers crossed for you :)
coolcatsmomma
BRIT Award

Post by coolcatsmomma »

coolcatsmomma wrote:
sailorgirluae wrote:

Fingers crossed for you :)
Hi Sailorgirluae - did you have any luck yet?
Also, does anyone know if the HB stops when the course finishes or when the lease finishes?
Thanks