Seeds of doubt now

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Re: Seeds of doubt now

Post by Hilltop »

I haven't been in the MT world with my DD very long so I have no long-term perspective from that side; however, I still wanted to share my views. My daughter is hoping to go to a local full-time performing arts school at 16 to do a Btec/diploma in MT and am I supportive of this. This is partly because I feel that if she wants to do a performing arts career, she really needs to go for it 100% as early as possible as it's so competitive (we can't afford a private performing arts secondary school otherwise I'd encourage her to do this). Also, importantly, I know it is possible to change careers later without having done A levels - one of my medical writing colleagues left school at 16 to become a chef, which she did until her mid 20s, she then did a science access course (equivalent to A levels), a biology degree, a PhD and then, deciding academia wasn't for her, became a medical writer.

Although I have no direct knowledge that is helpful, I thought I'd share this perspective. Hope it helps!
Livvyvicky
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livvyvicky »

Ahhhh dodgers mum your post made me so sad - you should be so excited at the prospect of your DS going to EDA.

I agree with all of the comments (especially riverdancefan, as our dc’s have been besties for years and started the EDA journey together). My Dd had places to do Alevels as we also thought that was the route to go, but after a year at EDA it was absolutely the right decision. I feel she will be fully prepared and ready to apply for either diploma or degree courses at 18. Thinking about juggling A Levels and part time training was something that was worrying me, especially after going through it at GCSE level.

It seems your ex friends issue is directed at EDA because that is where your ds is going but maybe they would have had the same opinion no matter where he went unless it was A levels ? I suppose it is everyone’s individual choice - I just wanted my dd to be the very best she could be for the next stage and I feel EDA is doing that for her.

As for the tutor issue (there isn’t one btw!) the EDA staff are amazing, solid and know each and every pupil. My dd has felt cherished from day one and says that the visiting tutors are brought in to compliment the outstanding full time staff at EDA. Across all of the disciplines.

My advice would be relax, look forward to what will be an exciting journey and focus on the positive people around you - every one has an opinion, I am sure some people did on ours but it was the absolute right one for us !

Feel free to pm me for any more info.

Munchpot - glad you enjoyed Legally Blonde ;)
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

Livvyvicky wrote:
Munchpot - glad you enjoyed Legally Blonde ;)
You know \:D/
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

ooh I am a bit late now but please feel free to message me if I can help at all, my very academic dd was not interested in staying on for 6th form and went to EDA to do the BTEC, she loved it so much, in fact so much she is now one of the very first 3 year Dip students there, and having an exhausting but absolutely amazing time. (Hot Yoga first thing this morning) The teachers are phenomanal, some are working in the west end too, so in that respect they do flit in and out, but only between the school and the theatre! What could be better! They are regular and reliable and they get to know the students really well. My dd would definitely count some of them as close and they are all focussed on the youngsters' pastoral care too. Also, Hitchin is lovely too! Happy to talk anytime x
Danceandsing
BRIT Award

Post by Danceandsing »

Don’t listen to them! They are just envious of you both. Can’t believe that a friend could do this! This whole process is an emotional rollercoaster you need support not a back stabbing! Do what you feel is right and I wish you all the best xxx
scottishdancer00
BRIT Award

Post by scottishdancer00 »

I think it’s crazy the suggestion that MT training can only lead to ensemble work. When casting musicals they don’t look for straight acting graduates who haven’t sung or danced before to play the leads but triple threats !
Also I have no idea how I know this but Sarah Hadland who was in Miranda trained at Laines.
Dd has a friend who’s sister is in the RSC after training in musical theatre.
Also think of children in need night - all the actors sing and dance because they were trained in musical theatre ( well many of them )
Definitely possible to get acting work from MT training.
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

As always you have all been very kind and I appreciate the contact I've had with so many warm, knowledgeable and understanding parents.

Last night ds put his arm round me and said he can always go back to do A Levels if he needs to, but that for now he has a fire in his belly he can't ignore. That's the bottom line I think whatever my 'friend's motives were, what he thinks or whatever nastiness was sent to us. DS also said he could go on to acting training after MT if he feels it right at the time.

So he's leaving home and I don't know my proverbials from my elbow I'm so emotional about it all (menopause not helping :D ). I truly hope EDA is as caring as everyone has said.

THANK YOU EVERYONE and good luck to all of your SPECIAL dcs too, because they are ALL just that x
HollyMae
Nominee

Post by HollyMae »

I have read this thread with interest as am in similar position. After much agonizing , a lot of research , making a list of pros and cons etc etc my DD has decided not to do A levels much to the horror of some ! She's even turned down a 3 yr course In favour of a foundation course at her favorite college. Again many have been "surprised" by this. However I think it all depends on your mindset ..... Yes it's a risk but not life and death and at least she will know she gave it her absolute best shot to get into her favorite college which also has an excellent reputation. Further down the line she may have to take A levels or retrain but she's young and keen and just wants to get on with it . Of course this route isn't for everyone and doing A levels and going at 18 is neither better nor worse in my very humble opinion . We will probably never know if this was the " right " decision and I am going to miss her terribly BUT I am also so excited that she has the passion to do this. She auditioned at 16 to test the water and once offered places it seemed foolish not to grab the opportunity. Life is short , who knows what the future brings and it's going to be hard training young but she feels even harder to wait , work for A levels while trying to keep her dancing going to the level required. There are so many pros and cons and my DD has been thinking this over since Christmas but when the accommodation list came through she just said I want to go. Although I know a few people disapprove nobody has sent me a 3 ft text like you but it is easy to have doubts and I really feel for you. I' ve certainly had a few so thank you to everybody who has written supportive , positive messages here and good luck everyone.
esmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by esmum »

Well done and go enjoy! What a fantastic offer to have so well done, Heard LOTS of great things about Emil Dale =D> My daughter will need to decide what to do soon - goes into Yr 11 in Sept. Prob be A Levels or a BTec but who knows.... well done again x
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

I echo the belief that it's a great decision to go to Emildale. My dd does the Sunday sessions and loves it there saying the training is excellent (she is an experienced performer). She is also planning to audition in the Autumn when she goes into Year 11, despite being academic and perfectly capable of doing A levels. We saw all three of their shows - and every single one was outstanding - directed with both precision and creativity. The staff are passionate and their drive and energy are infectious. Congratulations and good luck to him!
Gibbo68
Nominee

Post by Gibbo68 »

Read this thread with interest as my dd has also been lucky enough to be offered and has accepted a place at Emil Dale for the 2 year course. Although we havent had such direct opinions on the A level vs BTEC debate there have been suggestions made that we’re not being responsible parents by not guiding her down the A level route. She warmed to Emil Dale from the first open day and then seeing the incredible standard of the “Legally Blonde” cast sealed the deal for her (and us!). I now shut my ears to others..it’s our dcs dreams that matter and we should give them the chance to live them! Roll on September! :D
Livvyvicky
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livvyvicky »

Gibbo68 glad you enjoyed Legally Blonde - Dd and friends in that production, they had an amazing time. Feel free to pm me if you have any EDA questions :D
Gibbo68
Nominee

Post by Gibbo68 »

Thank you Livvyvicky, that’s kind, will do. Very excited (her and me! )
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Caroline A-C wrote:My ds didn't do A levels and went straight to Arts Ed to do the MT BA. He has been in work a lot of the time since (although there have been jobless times). He is currently in Heathers The Musical (not ensemble) and has actually never been ensemble so it is not true for your friend to say that. Once he finishes that he is going straight into filming which is not MT so MT not being taken seriously by the straight acting bunch is also not true. I have a friend whose son went to Bristol Old Vic and he has more trouble finding work as he is completely limited to straight acting. I do believe that if you put in the effort you will reap the rewards. It is also down to the client to get their agent to push for what they want. Obviously if you have done MT your agent is going to push you down that route. Ds said that a he wanted to branch out and that is exactly what his agent has helped him with. There is a lot of jealousy in this world and I really think you have to ignore things to a point and go with what you feel is right for your child.
looking forward \:D/ to seeing him in Heathers this coming Saturday !!
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

riverdancefan - it is a fab show. My husband and dd are off to see it on Saturday evening!!
All new to me!