Musical Theatre Courses with a full student loan!

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancemom43
GRAMMY Award

Re: Musical Theatre Courses with a full student loan!

Post by dancemom43 »

Robin64 wrote:Watch out some places seem fully funded but require additional fees which are supposedly optional but are not really eg PPA which asks for an extra £1250 per year for "extra activities" - ie what you should be doing anyway included in any normal fees (we had thread on funding if you can find it which discussed this)

Mountview and Arts ED do degrees - they are just not fully covered by student finance and require fairly substantial top ups. As I think does Laine? not too sure on this as we didn't look there.
Urdang needs topping up but sometimes covers this difference in funding for degree students and it is much less than at some schools - about £1000/£1500 maybe? (off top of my head but not 100% sure of amount)
Urdang is £12,000 so £3000 shortfall but they do give some students that each year as a bursary. Not sure on criteria.
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

There is often a deposit to pay (particularly at the London schools) which is refunded upon completion of the course. It was £300 at Arts Ed and £250 at Italia Conti. You will usually have to pay for external exams taken as part of the course - watch out if they are dance teacher exams as they can be a lot of money too!
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

As a rule if you apply through UCAS or CUCAS the degree will be eligible for a student loan and they are not allowed to charge extra for 'tuition' (although some get round this with optional 'extras' as mentioned above). If you apply direct they are a private university and the maximum student loan for tuition is just over £6000, but the fees can be whatever the college decides and you need to have a way to pay the difference. You can't use a DaDa to top up a student loan, but some colleges have a (very limited) number of top up scholarships. A diploma may be better which can be DaDa funded, if you're lucky enough to secure one.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Robin64 wrote: Mountview and Arts ED do degrees - they are just not fully covered by student finance and require fairly substantial top ups. As I think does Laine? not too sure on this as we didn't look there.
Urdang needs topping up but sometimes covers this difference in funding for degree students and it is much less than at some schools - about £1000/£1500 maybe? (off top of my head but not 100% sure of amount)
Laine doesn’t offer degree and student loan in the same way as the others. They offer diploma with DaDA initially and they have just started to offer a degree conversion in the third year. I’ve no idea how much it costs for that as they used to only offer a £9k degree year part-time study for people who are working in the industry.

DS received degree top up offers from Urdang and London Studio Centre with bursaries to cover the difference. I don’t remember the exact amount for Urdang but LSC was about £5k to cover shortfall
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

Robin64 wrote:Watch out some places seem fully funded but require additional fees which are supposedly optional but are not really eg PPA which asks for an extra £1250 per year for "extra activities" - ie what you should be doing anyway included in any normal fees (we had thread on funding if you can find it which discussed this)

Mountview and Arts ED do degrees - they are just not fully covered by student finance and require fairly substantial top ups. As I think does Laine? not too sure on this as we didn't look there.
Thank you very much! We’ll be wary! X
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

Thought I’d bring this thread up again in case anyone had find out any other schools offering full student loan courses? Any info would be great thank you!!
Felicity
GRAMMY Award

Post by Felicity »

loladd33 wrote:Thought I’d bring this thread up again in case anyone had find out any other schools offering full student loan courses? Any info would be great thank you!!
DD had a talk today from The Brighton Academy. Never heard of them before and quite a new course but seems to have impressive agency representation / alumni already. They offer two degrees - one in MT and one in Performing Arts and the fees are only £7,500 via a student loan. The courses are delivered in partnership with Bath Spa University. Has anyone on here got a DC there?
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I'm in the process of putting together a comprehensive list!
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Felicity wrote:
loladd33 wrote:Thought I’d bring this thread up again in case anyone had find out any other schools offering full student loan courses? Any info would be great thank you!!
DD had a talk today from The Brighton Academy. Never heard of them before and quite a new course but seems to have impressive agency representation / alumni already. They offer two degrees - one in MT and one in Performing Arts and the fees are only £7,500 via a student loan. The courses are delivered in partnership with Bath Spa University. Has anyone on here got a DC there?
Yes I’m sure live_thedream’s DS has just started at Brighton x
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

islandofsodor wrote:I'm in the process of putting together a comprehensive list!
That’s amazing thank you!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Half way there. I've compiled all the CDMT (formerly CDET), Federation of Drama Schools and Conservatoire affiliated institutions. I just need to go through UCAS etc to compile the university courses. I'm also waiting for replies from a couple of institutions whose websites are not clear about whether they still offer student finance or not.

Maybe I'll do a Diploma list whe I've done! Goodness knows why as my own daughter is in her 1st year of the Trinity Diploma at a Dada school so she won'tbe applying to degree courses but maybe ds will be in a ferw years time.
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

islandofsodor wrote:Half way there. I've compiled all the CDMT (formerly CDET), Federation of Drama Schools and Conservatoire affiliated institutions. I just need to go through UCAS etc to compile the university courses. I'm also waiting for replies from a couple of institutions whose websites are not clear about whether they still offer student finance or not.

Maybe I'll do a Diploma list whe I've done! Goodness knows why as my own daughter is in her 1st year of the Trinity Diploma at a Dada school so she won'tbe applying to degree courses but maybe ds will be in a ferw years time.
Well it’s fab for the rest of us! We’re very lucky to have you on this forum!