Level 6 diploma or BA Hons in Musical Theatre?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

lawn
GRAMMY Award

Re: Level 6 diploma or BA Hons in Musical Theatre?

Post by lawn »

Robin64 wrote:
lawn wrote:Something you may want to consider is if you go for the diploma, it isn't using up your years of entitlement to student loan funding (4 years I believe). So in the future if they want to do a degree in something else, following a change of mind or later on in life they could still get student funding.

With the diploma though, even if you get a Dada, unless your income is below £30K I think, you will have to fund the living/accommodation costs yourself. I always think this is a real tough one, unless you live within a commutable distance or have a conveniently situated family member they can lodge with.
That is a good point about the degree and I hadn't thought of it that way. For us the Dada just doesn't work out - there is too much to top up and we would have to pay for all the maintenance. With 3 kids at or nearly at uni we can't manage it. In the right circumstances a dada is preferable especially as it is not a loan that needs paying back. Loladd there is basically no difference in the courses at the big dance/drama schools as others have said. it is an age/funding thing. If you are thinking of more mainstream uni MT courses then check carefully about contact hours and actual training - some might fall far short of what you get elsewhere.
No. a Dada wouldn't work out for us either. Our eldest is off to Uni in Sept and will receive the min maintaince loan due to our household income. We need to top this up for him, at least at first till he finds some work. One of the places we considered their cheapest campus accommodation was 50% more than his entire loan! There's no way we could fund him, plus pay course fees (even with a Dada) and fund living and accommodation costs for DD too.

It is slightly different for us, in that DD's strength is her acting, so acting courses which do tend to be more student loan biased , would appeal more. That is needs paying back doesn't concern me. Payment only kicks in when they earn over a certain income and at a small percentage. It's written off after 30 years if there's anything owing. The liklihood is that many will never be paid in full.

I've been following your posts for a while Robin, is there any news on where your DD is going yet?
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Still hoping for Bird degree but not confirmed yet. She had recalls for Urdang and got to second stage for Central. I have found it tough never mind her! Won't know for certain for a while so she is planning to work over the summer while waiting to find out. If it doesn't happen then she is going to try again for early auditions and do some straight acting ones too. In hindsight she didn't do enough auditions with only 4. I think after getting a recall for GSA last year she thought she might get one this time but didnt.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Meant to say thanks for asking :)
Newbe2018
GRAMMY Award

Post by Newbe2018 »

We're also waiting for Bird degree, we're in a very similar boat, have an older son who's doing his masters degree this year. We had to top him up last year as he only got the minimum maintenance loan, He'll get less again this year, so to receive a dada placement elsewhere will still be tough going financially for 12 months. Best of luck to your dd, fingers crossed you get a confirmed place. x
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Newbe2018 wrote:We're also waiting for Bird degree, we're in a very similar boat, have an older son who's doing his masters degree this year. We had to top him up last year as he only got the minimum maintenance loan, He'll get less again this year, so to receive a dada placement elsewhere will still be tough going financially for 12 months. Best of luck to your dd, fingers crossed you get a confirmed place. x
Thanks. It's been confirmed so absolutely delighted and relieved. Good luck, hope it's good news xx
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Robin64 wrote:
Thanks. It's been confirmed so absolutely delighted and relieved. Good luck, hope it's good news xx
Exciting - whendid the confirmation arrive? So pleased for you both!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Robin64 wrote:
Newbe2018 wrote:We're also waiting for Bird degree, we're in a very similar boat, have an older son who's doing his masters degree this year. We had to top him up last year as he only got the minimum maintenance loan, He'll get less again this year, so to receive a dada placement elsewhere will still be tough going financially for 12 months. Best of luck to your dd, fingers crossed you get a confirmed place. x
Yeh!!! Congratulations! So pleased for you both x
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Scarytimes wrote:
Robin64 wrote:
Today! Tears of happiness for DD this time :-)
So glad for her. She has loved it there on the foundation and it wasn't easy to sort that financially so it's a happy ending. And breathe....

Thanks Marissa x just crossing fingers for her pals now x
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Lovely news Robin64! You’ve certainly had quite a journey! So glad it’s all worked out for you and your DD :)
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Robin64 wrote:
Scarytimes wrote:
Robin64 wrote:
Today! Tears of happiness for DD this time :-)
So glad for her. She has loved it there on the foundation and it wasn't easy to sort that financially so it's a happy ending. And breathe....

Thanks Marissa x just crossing fingers for her pals now x
That’s amazing and a lovely outcome after all her efforts - and yours too! Congratulations =D>
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Fantastic news Robin. Really pleased to hear. =D>
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Congratulations to your DD xxxxx
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Thanks so much everyone. Much appreciated. All those car journeys to lessons, hanging around (thanks Waitrose free coffees!) Pantos, shows, disappointments, hopes, highlights, auditions, tears, you all know the story. It finally feels like the end of a childhood chapter. Yes I know it's a lot more to come especially when they are facing job auditions but I won't be there step by step as has been the case since those first dance lessons age 2.
I am grateful for all the information and support from the forum and patience when I have been a bit grumpy or a little critical - mostly of the system than people I hope.
I have tried to share honestly as I have appreciated hearing about other people's experiences. Sometimes it is really hard to come on here and say they haven't had a success but that has really helped us along the way. Then good news comes and it's great to hear - helps boost us up again so thanks all for sharing. Really hope people get where they want and if it's not good news this year it might just mean not yet instead of just no. So keep going. If anything our DC's are probably some of the most hard working and resilient kids out there. X jo
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Congratulations to your dd Robin64! So pleased for you both =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ xxx
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Fantastic news Robin! =D> =D>