After graduation....

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Re: After graduation....

Post by jaybeeyellow »

If you go on Arts Ed 2018 graduating year , you will see who represents a lot of their students.
There are 5/6 graduating students about to join the new cast of Les Mis. The new Cosette is from Arts Ed, as is her cover. Also Marius and his cover from the same school.
Can't remember the name of the agent, but the two Cosette girls are signed with the same agent.
Danceandsing
BRIT Award

Post by Danceandsing »

There are loads of agents out there some better than others but don't think getting an agent will automatically get you a job. I know graduates who have agents but no jobs. Also don't underestimate the value of a college agency. Look at Bird's twitter page they are still getting their graduates work years after they've left. Getting your first job in this industry is tough but getting your second job is even harder!
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

Jörg Betts is knows for MT as are many. Try googling top agents for MT.
All new to me!
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

Danceandsing wrote:There are loads of agents out there some better than others but don't think getting an agent will automatically get you a job. I know graduates who have agents but no jobs. Also don't underestimate the value of a college agency. Look at Bird's twitter page they are still getting their graduates work years after they've left. Getting your first job in this industry is tough but getting your second job is even harder!
This is so true. But it is harder without one than with one. Simply because of the way shows are cast. Also interesting what you say about the Bird College Agency. So do they take in grads who don't get an eternal agent and keep them forever/until they do? How does it work? I think also Urdang have one. Not sure about any other colleges.
reachforthestars
GRAMMY Award

Post by reachforthestars »

Laine have their own agency. All students are represented by the agency whilst at college. In 3rd year students are submitted for jobs, closed calls etc through the agency. Students are also submitted for panto jobs from 1st year onwards. For 3rd years this is great, many students already have jobs prior to graduating this year. The agency will represent students for 1 year after graduation if they have no work or no agent, I believe. At Laine, the spring showcase and summer show are fabulous opportunities for students to be seen by agents and casting directors. My dd is in 1st year and six agents contacted her after spring showcase!
Live_thedream
GRAMMY Award

Post by Live_thedream »

jaybeeyellow wrote:If you go on Arts Ed 2018 graduating year , you will see who represents a lot of their students.
There are 5/6 graduating students about to join the new cast of Les Mis. The new Cosette is from Arts Ed, as is her cover. Also Marius and his cover from the same school.
Can't remember the name of the agent, but the two Cosette girls are signed with the same agent.
Tried to have a look but couldn't find mention of agents?
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

I think that it will tell you on the Spotlight page.
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

Mountview have all their third year and last year's students listed on their website. You can click on them and it takes you to their spotlight page which lists their agent. Mountview don't have an in house agency but seem to do pretty well showcasing their students. All the third years do three shows and a showcase in their third year and agents are invited to all of them. As they only have a maximum of 38 on each course it is easier for them to be seen. DS was lucky in that he had 12 agents interested after his showcase. He met with some of them and would have been happy with a few but chose partly on the advice of the Mountview industry liaison officer. He is with Tildsley France. I know nothing about this world but they appear to have fancy premises just off Trafalgar Square so I hope that means they do well for their clients! He officially finished a week ago and they have sent him on two auditions this week so are off to a good start. Now he just has to pay his rent!!!
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Sounds good ajbew- good luck to your DS xx

My DS has just finished his Foundation at Mountview (absolutely loved loved loved it) and is about to start his 3 year BA at Trinity Laban

I’m dreading the ‘after’ bit as much as I did the auditions - I presume the ‘rent sitauation’ will go on and on and on for a long time after graduation ](*,)
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

DD's college does one Showcase halfway through the final year and two weeks of solid agent panel auditions at the same time. There are only 19 in the graduating year so they get massive stage time as the showcase is 2 hours. DD was seen by 25/30 agents on a one to one basis and had an expression of interest from 7 of them and after a further interview (no performance, purely a chat) ended up with 4 offers. She's now signed up and on Spotlight 5 months before the end of training and has had 2 auditions for work. Only 2 of the 19 in her year are still to find agents before they graduate in September. But they have two more showcases and a show before then.

One of the biggest post graduation challenges is the sudden lack of structure. DD is in college a minimum of 40 hours a week, 40 weeks a year. Then on 17th September that all goes. Fitness has to be maintained, their dance still has to improve as has their voice. So that means not just rent to pay for but gym and dance classes and a vocal coach. Fortunately DD can go back to her college and join in dance classes free, within reason. She can also go back for master classes. So that will help mitigate some of the cost.

She's also managed to find a job which she can keep on after college which pays well and has flexible hours within reason. She's had some challenges there but has managed to find a modus operandi with her employer.

You do have to admire their resilience and sacrifice. They have not chosen an easy path to tread.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

It is tough for them once they enter the big wide world but I think their training has made them stronger. My DS trained as a PT which has been an absolute godsend when not performing. He works at a number of gyms as well as having private clients so can fit that in pretty well when he has work. At the moment I think he is doing too much though - he's teaching at 6am, rehearsing from 10am to 9pm and then going to the gym for his own personal fitness which, of course, they have to maintain. Once the show is up and running he will have more time during the day to earn the extra money. He has a number of friends who have done the same thing as PT work is very flexible and pays well.
All new to me!
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Caroline A-C wrote:It is tough for them once they enter the big wide world but I think their training has made them stronger. My DS trained as a PT which has been an absolute godsend when not performing. He works at a number of gyms as well as having private clients so can fit that in pretty well when he has work. At the moment I think he is doing too much though - he's teaching at 6am, rehearsing from 10am to 9pm and then going to the gym for his own personal fitness which, of course, they have to maintain. Once the show is up and running he will have more time during the day to earn the extra money. He has a number of friends who have done the same thing as PT work is very flexible and pays well.
Your DS has a fantastic work ethic which I'm sure will see him through. I do think that whilst there is a lot of talent out there, it's not the most talented who necessarily make it. To succeed you have to survive the early difficult years and not lose your nerve and that takes more than talent.
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

They definitely need a back-up for the lean times. DS has trained as a gymnastic coach and coaches on Saturdays and Sundays. The pay is good but he has gone through his Mountview training five days a week and then coached gym each weekend during term time. Now he has finished he has just taken a second job doing silver service waiting on. It is very flexible and should help in the lean times.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

lbm1e14, you really do need to be focussed and committed in those early years. DD is in rehearsals at the moment for a great new show but the pay is not great. He is rehearsing from 10am until 9pm (and its not even tech week yet) and having to teach classes at 6am in the morning and some evenings to make sure he can pay the rent. You have to remember that the agent takes his cut of your money, there is NI contributions and tax to come out of the money and then there are the travelling costs getting to all the auditions. I am not sure there are many careers in which you are looking for the next job every few months. You just don't know how long your money has to last. This is only a three month contract too but luckily he goes straight into filming once this one ends.
All new to me!
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

I meant DS not DD!!
All new to me!