Tips for standing all the waiting...

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Tips for standing all the waiting...

Post by Scarytimes »

Hi everyone,

As a lot of us are sitting (im)patiently waiting for audition results, reserve lists, exams and results etc. have any of our old hands got any hints to make it through?

Take your mind off it somehow?
Check post and emails several times a day?
Research funding and loans?
Bore friends talking about it?

Just a bit of fun to while away the time :D
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Re: Tips for standing all the waiting...

Post by Marissa »

I'm kinda starting to relax now DDs mind is made up x all I can do is pray she gets the grades now and that's a long wait! We are going to plan a weekend in Chester so she can check it out and I'm madly looking for a Hammond fb page so she can make some friends but otherwise it's just crocheting and getting on with life x finance and accommodation booked x so touchwood for us everything will work out x
The next thing for her to stress about is the film she has a tiny part in being released in September and hoping she looks good in it!!!!
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

If you have more than one child and they don't want to do PA, think about how much easier the whole process is. :D

My 'wants to act' child is 15. My 18yo first generation to Uni wants to study forensic computers. Visit, Apply, Interview (not everywhere held them), conditional acceptance, apply for student finance, book accommodation, wait for results and Autumn to turn up - job done. :D Depends on what they want to study though and where. Studying Medicine or applying to Oxbridge would be far harder.

Whilst I read everyone's stories, I thank my lucky stars that I am gathering info for a few years time.

BTW - 18yo initially was interested in the sciences, getting on an outreach program for it via his school for years 9-11, choosing his options based on his acceptance to the course and his work experience based on his options. He did the work experience at the end of yr10. By the time he'd started in yr11 he'd changed his mind and wanted to do something with computers instead. DD is currently in yr10, so watch this space in case the same thing happens!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

lawn wrote:If you have more than one child and they don't want to do PA, think about how much easier the whole process is. :D

My 'wants to act' child is 15. My 18yo first generation to Uni wants to study forensic computers. Visit, Apply, Interview (not everywhere held them), conditional acceptance, apply for student finance, book accommodation, wait for results and Autumn to turn up - job done. :D Depends on what they want to study though and where. Studying Medicine or applying to Oxbridge would be far harder.

Whilst I read everyone's stories, I thank my lucky stars that I am gathering info for a few years time.

BTW - 18yo initially was interested in the sciences, getting on an outreach program for it via his school for years 9-11, choosing his options based on his acceptance to the course and his work experience based on his options. He did the work experience at the end of yr10. By the time he'd started in yr11 he'd changed his mind and wanted to do something with computers instead. DD is currently in yr10, so watch this space in case the same thing happens!
So much easier not to study Musical Theatre. My eldest is studying Music Production at uni. Did a btec so knew her results early. Got her first choice. No interview at all and received an excellence award so easy compared to youngests journey so far!
Marissa
GRAMMY Award

Post by Marissa »

Although I will add both of my girls never showed an interest in performing till they were at least 16!!! One wanted to be a vet and the other a scientist so there you go!
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

Marissa wrote:Although I will add both of my girls never showed an interest in performing till they were at least 16!!! One wanted to be a vet and the other a scientist so there you go!
My eldest is a fitness instructor - just BTEC then straight into work and more qualifications whilst working. Youngest dances a lot but she wants to be a vet. Hard to get into again, but not the audition trail. We will see...
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Marissa wrote:Although I will add both of my girls never showed an interest in performing till they were at least 16!!! One wanted to be a vet and the other a scientist so there you go!
I noticed at my DD's drama group, that many of the kids who were good at drama were also good at science. Intrigued I looked at why, this might be and discovered that the words 'theory and theatre' come from the same Greek word (that I've forgotten :oops: ) which means 'to observe'

Not my 2 though, the boy hated drama with a vengeance and often asked for no mark rather than have to perform. The girl dislikes science. Fortunately the boy could drop drama after yr8, meanwhile I'm prepared for very low marks in daughter's science! :roll:

Scarytimes did say she wanted something to occupy her thoughts. :lol:
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

lawn wrote:
I noticed at my DD's drama group, that many of the kids who were good at drama were also good at science. Intrigued I looked at why, this might be and discovered that the words 'theory and theatre' come from the same Greek word (that I've forgotten :oops: ) which means 'to observe'

Scarytimes did say she wanted something to occupy her thoughts. :lol:
Very interesting - DS hated science, liked Maths and loved any essay writing subjects or performing subjects. Doesn’t take after his Mum at all!
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

I have two of my four who were into performing. One is now a professional performer whilst the other has decided to go down the medical route and wants to be a surgeon!! Both routes have an horrendous process to get in. Medical degrees you firstly have to be predicted the high grades and then sit the national CATS/BMAT exams and pass. Then there are the seven fold interviews to get through and the work experience you need to be considered. I will be exhausted by the time this has all finished!! As for standing the waiting, I highly recommend alcohol and lots of it!!!!!
All new to me!
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

When I think back to around 2002 when I sent my then 4 year old off to Stagecoach I had no idea what I was letting myself in for! ](*,) it was always going to happen - his dad sings for a living so it was always in the genes I suppose :lol:

I now have a 2 year old who loves dancing to Peppa Pig music! :lol: could be the start....
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

I'm so glad my ds has made his decision now. However, I'm still checking in here to see if there's any news on all those still waiting. It's bad enough from outside, I really feel for all of you still waiting to hear. I'm filling my time now trying to find even vaguely affordable London accommodation :shock:
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

DGtherunner wrote:I'm so glad my ds has made his decision now. However, I'm still checking in here to see if there's any news on all those still waiting. It's bad enough from outside, I really feel for all of you still waiting to hear. I'm filling my time now trying to find even vaguely affordable London accommodation :shock:
I thought you were waiting for the recall date for Mountview Actor Musician?
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

He was, but realistically, unless he also got one of the two scholarships we couldn't afford to top up the fees for three years and pay for him to live in London. As he had an offer on the Student Loan funded Musical Theatre degree at Italia Conti and with UCAS deadlines etc he decided he was very happy to go there, and triple threat was what he really wanted, so he has committed to that.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

DGtherunner wrote:He was, but realistically, unless he also got one of the two scholarships we couldn't afford to top up the fees for three years and pay for him to live in London. As he had an offer on the Student Loan funded Musical Theatre degree at Italia Conti and with UCAS deadlines etc he decided he was very happy to go there, and triple threat was what he really wanted, so he has committed to that.
Excellent news. Definitely good to have a decision that he is happy with too! Good luck to him for the future.
DGtherunner
BRIT Award

Post by DGtherunner »

Scarytimes wrote:
Excellent news. Definitely good to have a decision that he is happy with too! Good luck to him for the future.
Thanks. Still no news for you? Are you sure you've checked your emails/post/phone enough times today??