Brit school RES/APPEAL

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Viks2030
GRAMMY Award

Brit school RES/APPEAL

Post by Viks2030 »

Hi All
We are in limbo presently as DD has been offered a reserve place for MT and have been told shes 6 out of 16.
Shes decided to appeal as we dont foresee 6 dropping out and currently have heard nothing to suggest anyone has.
The appeal has been granted for 10th May next week,so Im wondering if there is anyone out there whos been in this position before or has any words of wisdom to offer her?.
If she had been 1 or 2 on the reserve list she wouldnt have appealed but has nothing to lose and we think this shows her determination and dedication to the school.We havent applied anywhere else as wouldnt be able to afford the school fees and we are located within the local catchment for Brit.
Any advice would be so gratefully receieved.PM me if you prefer
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Re: Brit school RES/APPEAL

Post by Robin64 »

No experience of appeals at Brit (a little about other school appeal process) usually you would have to have a concrete reason with evidence for appealing. This is generally the rule on any school appeal. Eg medical reason, special circumstances etc You can't just have a passion or really want it because all the students on the reserve have that. It's hard being on reserve lists but very much part of the MT audition world. An appeal is usually about proving the decision was either taken without all the facts, could be detrimental to pupil or proving taking an extra student will not be detrimental to the school. it is an evidence based process.
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

I had no idea there was such a thing as an appeal to a decision...I have to say I kind of ageee with Robin - surely all 16 on the reserve have the passion and dedication that your DD has?

I also agree that reserve lists/rejections are part of the very tough MT audition process - sometimes it’s what you need to go on and learn from and get stronger - if you don’t mind me asking, on what grounds can you appeal?

Not sure where I stand on this one..but good luck to your DD x
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

We have just had an appeal for dd's non performing arts school and we had to prove we had a stronger case for a place than the school had for not allowing son to attend the school. I am assuming that is pretty standard. We were in front of a panel and there was a representative from the local council presenting their case and we then had to present our case. We were told that we would hear the outcome within a week. Hope this helps and good luck.
All new to me!
Viks2030
GRAMMY Award

Post by Viks2030 »

Thanks all for the advice.

Her letter actually terms it as a second chance so we are taking it that she can go and improve on her first audition however the outcome of this could be 1 of 3 ;1 shes offered a place,2 shes placed back on reserve,3 she has the offer of resesrve pace withdrawn.So you see we have nothing to lose by going as we dont think it likely that 6 people will decide not to accept their offers.
She'd be daft not to have another go really and would rather try again and be rejected than sit on reserve and do nothing.
We've been told there will be senior management and 1 staff member from MT attending and she will basically go through the same format as her first audition, which included monologue, song dance workshop and a discussion/chat.

I guess what will be will be and in honesty if it doesn't happen for her this time she can apply again post GCSE's,shes actually very happy at her current school and is doing well so not the end of her world for sure!
Will keep you posted x
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Is this for Year 10?
Friend's dd is 4th on reserve for 6th form - didn't appeal as didn't want to lose her reserve place and was told a place could come up as late as a couple of weeks into September. Know of one place being turned down as that young person has a scholarship elsewhere. I was surprised when I saw the Brit letter. They do seem to almost encourage appeals! Good luck to your dd!
Viks2030
GRAMMY Award

Post by Viks2030 »

Hi
Yes its for year 10!
Im sure 2/3 spaces would possibly open up but not really sure 6 would so shes going for it!
Mummyaud
BRIT Award

Post by Mummyaud »

Hi, yes this was my daughter 5 years ago. Things may have changed since then. We are out of catchment and there were only 2 out of catchment places for MT Yr 10 and a few on reserve for it. We appealed on the basis of educational need to be at the school. It was made clear to us she would lose her reserve place if her appeal was unsuccessful. Her appeal audition went very well and she was told on the day she was very talented and not to be put off if she did not get a place. Subsequently her appeal was unsuccessful. With hindsight I think the process might be flawed with regards to who they put through to appeal as (as mentioned above) a just cause for appeal is required. An appeal at BRIT then was really designed for those who felt they did not perform to the best of their ability on the audition day due to (for example) feeling unwell or a family problem etc. It's not really designed to just give them another chance at it. We were not fully understanding of this at the time. It was clear on the day from her audition she was accessing quality part time training locally and I feel any available places would probably have gone to those with potential but struggling to access suitable training, which is understandable. It may be different now. As your DD is in catchment there will be more places available, good luck to her. All she can do is give it her best shot. I think there are many different factors they consider when making a decision.

My DD was upset at the time however has been involved in performing arts from a young age and was used to dealing with the knock backs that come with it. I am happy to say that she applied again for Year 12 MT and was successful in getting an out of catchment place. She graduated last summer and loved her 2 years at BRIT. She is now in her first year at Urdang on a DADA.

If it does not come good I thought you would like to know that the end my daughter was happy she stayed at her local school to do her GCSEs and finish secondary school with all her friends. She feels it was also better for her academically and was very pleased with her GCSE results. Some of the BRIT students told her felt it was distracting to do the performing arts classes alongside their GCSE academic classes and felt that their results may have been negatively affected.
Viks2030
GRAMMY Award

Post by Viks2030 »

Hi mummyaud
Massive thanks for your input I agree with everything you have said and funnily my husband and I are a little concerned about the academic side of things and how they would work alongside the MT training ,that and the fact that there are no sports activities which DD is heavily involved In At her current school. She also has been acting etc from an early age and knows only too well the feel of rejection so if gets the knock will dust herself down and plough on. She attends drama classes every weekend and has had great opportunities with them to perform and so can keep up with MT aswell as being involved in her school drama group so as you rightly said it could all end up for the better if she does apply again for the 6th form,I’m glad it worked out for your daughter and will let you know our outcome xx
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

How did this go for your DD?
Viks2030
GRAMMY Award

Post by Viks2030 »

Hi
Sorry for the late reply I’ve just started a new job so little time to look on here!
The outcome as it stands is that she’s still on the reserve list and we are not overly hopeful but she will be kept there for up until the 3rd week of September ( I guess just incase a few decide it’s not for them ) there were no places offered from the appeal as we have been told as I believe all places were accepted but don’t know this for sure.
Interestingly there were kids there who got straight rejection letters at the initial audition who appealed so all rather confusing if I’m honest !!
Thanks for asking xx
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Just incase anyone reads this thread for future reference my DD was offered a place to start the next day after being on out of catchment reserve list 3 days after term started,someone dropped out.
She was 5th on list and declined the place as had an offer at a better MT college.
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

lotsolaffs wrote:Just incase anyone reads this thread for future reference my DD was offered a place to start the next day after being on out of catchment reserve list 3 days after term started,someone dropped out.
She was 5th on list and declined the place as had an offer at a better MT college.
I think that's a poor choice of phrase and highly insulting to those members of this forum who have DD / DS at this college.
This is, of course, entirely your opinion but very unprofessional to post such a glib remark
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

It wasn't intended as an insult,apologies if anyone is offended. Perhaps I should have said a better MT college for her.
No need to verbally attack anyone who posts something that they feel in any case.
It was actually a post to encourage others not to give up who may apply in future,we were desperate for a place there but on audition day it didn't go well for her.
What it shows is that many who are offered places don't take them and things drastically change.
There were 21 on out of catchment reserve and 30 on reserve in catchment area.
Apologies once again.
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

I'm sorry lotsolaffs - it me that's being incredibly touchy !

My DD turned down what are known as 'top colleges' to go to Bodyworks and the comments we had, privately and quite publicly would make your hair curl - why was she turning down a top college to go to a lesser one / less reputation / less success / less names in programmes ??

Because she felt it - as soon as she walked through the door she felt it
She didnt know what it was but she knew within seconds that this was the college for her.
But we got those comments and I think that is why I jumped at you - I apologise once again but the top colleges arent right for some people and the 'lesser ones' are just perfect for others as you rightly explained.

My DD is starting today as head girl at BW so her decision was right and so are you with your explanation
I'm sorry I came across as so rude