What's on Stage article

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

What's on Stage article

Post by Scarytimes »

Interesting article What's on Stage produced about options for training in Musical Theatre - think it was out about a week ago, but it has just popped up on my newsfeed. https://www.thestage.co.uk/advice/2018/ ... er-courses.

Mentions all our favourites, but interesting which ones it chooses to highlight in more detail.
JustaPhase
BRIT Award

Re: What's on Stage article

Post by JustaPhase »

Thanks for the link, as you say it’s very interesting to see the schools the article has chosen to focus on. I wonder if there was a charge for being included!
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

I'm unable to view this article because I've reached my free monthly limit. Which schools are discussed the most?
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

jaybeeyellow wrote:I'm unable to view this article because I've reached my free monthly limit. Which schools are discussed the most?
So have i now so can't go back to it, but I took some screen shots and I think the list was:

Laine
Arts Ed
SLP
American Musical Theatre Academy
RCS
Chichester
UCLan
Royal Welsh college of Music and Drama
Musical Theatre Academy
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

Scarytimes wrote:
jaybeeyellow wrote:I'm unable to view this article because I've reached my free monthly limit. Which schools are discussed the most?
So have i now so can't go back to it, but I took some screen shots and I think the list was:

Laine
Arts Ed
SLP
American Musical Theatre Academy
RCS
Chichester
UCLan
Royal Welsh college of Music and Drama
Musical Theatre Academy
It’s funny I haven’t heard of quite a few of those! What a select choice!
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Quite a few natable by their absence I thought in the below statement

Other notable schools offering musical theatre training include:

Arden School of Theatre
Associated Studios
Bird College
Buckinghamshire College Group
Emil Dale Studios
Goldsmiths
Guildford School of Acting
Italia Conti Academy of Performing Arts
London School of Musical Theatre
Midlands Academy of Musical Theatre
Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts
Read College
Royal Academy of Music
Royal Central School of Speech and Drama
Southampton Solent University
Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
The University of Surrey
The University of Winchester
Urdang Academy
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

JustaPhase wrote:Thanks for the link, as you say it’s very interesting to see the schools the article has chosen to focus on. I wonder if there was a charge for being included!
Interesting list yet I have to say a cynical comment. I think you'll find that most of the colleges named have been nominated for Stage School of the Year at some point for different reasons. And they all no doubt give excellent training.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

Katymac wrote:Quite a few natable by their absence I thought in the below statement

Other notable schools offering musical theatre training include:

Arden School of Theatre
Associated Studios
Bird College
Buckinghamshire College Group
Emil Dale Studios
Goldsmiths
Guildford School of Acting
Italia Conti Academy of Performing Arts
London School of Musical Theatre
Midlands Academy of Musical Theatre
Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts
Read College
Royal Academy of Music
Royal Central School of Speech and Drama
Southampton Solent University
Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
The University of Surrey
The University of Winchester
Urdang Academy
not forgetting Bodyworks Cambridge..lol.. amazing place to study
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

I can't read the article either, will have to wait till next month. :D

There's a few I've not heard of either, but plenty of them get discussed on here. The reason I don't believe this is an article where people have paid is be in it, is because The Musical Theatre Academy is on the list posted and the principal of there posts sometimes on here and from what I've read from her, she wouldn't get involved in something where they were promoted purely because payment had been made.

I think it's more likely to be what chivers has said, they've been nominated in the past.

Thanks for the list though and also to KatyMac. I've been thinking of compiling a list for a while and now I can nick someone else's work. :lol:
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

IVe heard of them all & read the hard copy in the stage today.

They are all institutions that regularly advertise or contribute to articles in The Stage.
chivers61
GRAMMY Award

Post by chivers61 »

islandofsodor wrote:IVe heard of them all & read the hard copy in the stage today.

They are all institutions that regularly advertise or contribute to articles in The Stage.
Nice to have you back islandsofsodor. I understood you'd left the forum.

You may have a point but many of the other colleges not on the list advertise and contribute to The Stage.

I would also suggest that a lot of the colleges which many on this forum may feel should be on the list are more dance based rather than MT.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

lawn wrote:I can't read the article either, will have to wait till next month. :D

There's a few I've not heard of either, but plenty of them get discussed on here. The reason I don't believe this is an article where people have paid is be in it, is because The Musical Theatre Academy is on the list posted and the principal of there posts sometimes on here and from what I've read from her, she wouldn't get involved in something where they were promoted purely because payment had been made.

I think it's more likely to be what chivers has said, they've been nominated in the past.

Thanks for the list though and also to KatyMac. I've been thinking of compiling a list for a while and now I can nick someone else's work. :lol:
Indeed the full list is very useful for anyone wishing to research where to go.

As declared previously DD goes to MTA and I can assure you that the college would not have paid to be included. I am also aware from the Twitter feed of The Stage that they reached out to trainees for recommendations and comments about the college they were training at. Maybe that influenced the choice.
Scarytimes
GRAMMY Award

Post by Scarytimes »

chivers61 wrote:I would also suggest that a lot of the colleges which many on this forum may feel should be on the list are more dance based rather than MT.
I was surprised that Mountview and GSA didn’t get a full write up. There are plenty of their graduates in both touring and West End productions.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Scarytimes wrote:
chivers61 wrote:I would also suggest that a lot of the colleges which many on this forum may feel should be on the list are more dance based rather than MT.
I was surprised that Mountview and GSA didn’t get a full write up. There are plenty of their graduates in both touring and West End productions.
Agree with you Scarytimes. Strangely omitted.
JustaPhase
BRIT Award

Post by JustaPhase »

chivers61 wrote:
JustaPhase wrote:Thanks for the link, as you say it’s very interesting to see the schools the article has chosen to focus on. I wonder if there was a charge for being included!
Interesting list yet I have to say a cynical comment. I think you'll find that most of the colleges named have been nominated for Stage School of the Year at some point for different reasons. And they all no doubt give excellent training.
Not disagreeing at all about the training the institutions give, and perhaps more tongue in cheek than cynical?

As other posters have noted, any list will always be subjective. Its not unreasonable to wonder how the institutions being singled out for write ups were arrived at. Since reading the article, I've been looking at UCLan, a course I had not heard much about previously, and indeed a search on NAPM shows there's one comment on the 2018 Training thread, and before that UCLan were last mentioned in 2015. Comments about AMTA are similarly sparse on this forum.

Given that this is probably the most well known and best used forum discussing theatrical training, I find it unusual when institutions not generating much discussion are hailed as being beacons of MT training. However, I'm new to this world, and we live and learn. I certainly didn't intend to upset anyone with an off the cuff comment.