Auditioning for Sept 2019 - 6th Form

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Auditioning for Sept 2019 - 6th Form

Post by loladd33 »

Hi all,
Thought it was around the time to be putting one of these up as even though my dd is in Year 10, we’ve been thinking about this for a while! I’ve named this forum as for 6th form because people on the 2018 chat wanted two separate ones, one for degrees and one for sixth form!
Our situation is- Dd is also very academic as well as passionate about musical theatre, and I want her to do her A Levels so she gets a shot at both! We are currently considering Abbots Bromley (private school which offers training and 3 A Levels) and a local ish sixth form near us which has a fab performing arts department!
Does anybody know of any schools which are like those? Unfortunately Arts Ed and Italia Conti are out of the pic financially (unless anyone knows of massive scholarships!
Thank you! Any advice/experience would be welcomed! X
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019 - 6th Form

Post by 2dancersmum »

The Hammond in Chester offers 2 A levels alongside the 3 year Trinity Diploma in either Musical Theatre or Dance. A real mix of ages - 16 year olds (who do A levels) and 18+ who do pilates or Zumba in the time slots allocated to A level studies ie those doing A levels are not missing any classes from the diploma. Funding is DADA or privately funded but the college offers scholarships also to the majority (if not all) of students not in receipt of a DADA.
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

2dancersmum wrote:The Hammond in Chester offers 2 A levels alongside the 3 year Trinity Diploma in either Musical Theatre or Dance. A real mix of ages - 16 year olds (who do A levels) and 18+ who do pilates or Zumba in the time slots allocated to A level studies ie those doing A levels are not missing any classes from the diploma. Funding is DADA or privately funded but the college offers scholarships also to the majority (if not all) of students not in receipt of a DADA.
Thank you! I’m looking into the Hammond x
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

DD has just been getting feedback from two friends recalled at Arts Ed today for their 6th form MT Scholarship. She was told there were three boys and five girls at the recall. One friend is also up for their Academic Scholarship. But definitely scholarships available for MT but we don't know if full or part.
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

amo185 wrote:DD has just been getting feedback from two friends recalled at Arts Ed today for their 6th form MT Scholarship. She was told there were three boys and five girls at the recall. One friend is also up for their Academic Scholarship. But definitely scholarships available for MT but we don't know if full or part.
Thank you that’s great info! Will look into it further!
scottishdancer00
BRIT Award

Post by scottishdancer00 »

At one of dds auditions this years she was incredibly impressed by a girl who went to a sixth form possible called ‘legats’ Or ‘bedes’ ( she can’t quite remember. I don’t have any information but possibly it’s another option ?
loladd33
GRAMMY Award

Post by loladd33 »

scottishdancer00 wrote:At one of dds auditions this years she was incredibly impressed by a girl who went to a sixth form possible called ‘legats’ Or ‘bedes’ ( she can’t quite remember. I don’t have any information but possibly it’s another option ?
Thank you I’ll look into it!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Legat (part of St Bede's) are well known for their ballet programme alongside being a very academic school. Eye wateringly expensive, but very good reputation
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Beware of the academic trap over the performing route.

My DS is also academic and would have achieved solid A level results, however he was miserable and unsettled taking A levels.
A level route has always been our plan, yet he felt he had made the wrong decision not long after starting 6th form.
long a short was he took AS levels as they were still available to take and auditioned for EDA, gaining a part scholarship, he has gone and been there 8 months and is thriving beyond my expectations.

Yes he is doing a BTECH but there is nothing wrong with that and is no bar to a degree if he chooses that route.

Be open to alternatives as sometimes the route you think is set in stone often melts away... for the better.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

We are seeing Sweeney Todd on Sunday and Legally Blonde in May at EDA. Is your ds in either of those? My dd wants to audition there but we're not sure about funding and transport. Their production of Millie was really excellent. But two questions we have about EDA are - how do they group for classes and do they spend too long on shows to the deficit of technique? DD is a better singer and dancer than actress so we're trying to work out if we'd have to keep up local dancing if she got in which of course adds to costs. I've heard they've got four students into Mountview which seems impressive!
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

amo185 wrote:We are seeing Sweeney Todd on Sunday and Legally Blonde in May at EDA. Is your ds in either of those? My dd wants to audition there but we're not sure about funding and transport. Their production of Millie was really excellent. But two questions we have about EDA are - how do they group for classes and do they spend too long on shows to the deficit of technique? DD is a better singer and dancer than actress so we're trying to work out if we'd have to keep up local dancing if she got in which of course adds to costs. I've heard they've got four students into Mountview which seems impressive!
Hi yes
my DS is playing Emmett in team Emmett :D
They group classes on ability and will assess and stream when the students start, both for dancing and singing. The assessing is continuous and students moved up if they improve enough. My DS is a strong dancer and there are better dancers there than him, He doesn't feel he needs any more dance on top. It would only be for something they don't provide like ballroom, lyrical or, in my DS' case, Irish dance.
EDA also provides tap which for me was essential as DS is a great tapper and we didn't want to lose that. There is only one show per year and I don't think it detracts form the training as it is teaching them how to cope with a full-on professional production, juggling classes and rehearsals and the pressures of that. Plus I guess most places will do a show of some sort, even A level PA have to present a public performance.

It's a great place with fabulous staff and my DS absolutely loves it there, he is fitter and stronger than ever as they do cardio every morning!
amo185
GRAMMY Award

Post by amo185 »

Thank you for your reply as that's reassuring. I know it's becoming a very popular place and getting a great reputation. Sadly we're seeing Team Elle so will miss your ds. But good luck to him! DD now attends their Sunday afternoon school and we are certainly impressed with that, hence her wish to audition full time but it's a bit too far for her to travel to daily but not far enough for her to live away from home. All very difficult for these inbetween years of 16 to 18 when they really do not want to stay on at their school!
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

amo185 wrote:Thank you for your reply as that's reassuring. I know it's becoming a very popular place and getting a great reputation. Sadly we're seeing Team Elle so will miss your ds. But good luck to him! DD now attends their Sunday afternoon school and we are certainly impressed with that, hence her wish to audition full time but it's a bit too far for her to travel to daily but not far enough for her to live away from home. All very difficult for these inbetween years of 16 to 18 when they really do not want to stay on at their school!
She will likely see my DS at some point as he is working for the weekend schools \:D/
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

My ds will be auditioning for 2019 6th form entry. He is not actually a dancer but an actor/singer. He will be trying for pure acting courses, which there don’t seem to be many. I was discounting MT as he does not dance but he LOVES to sing. Do any of you have any experience of a chIld getting a place on an MT course at 16 who hasnt danced? I’m not talking the dance collages but more acting/singing with a view to going into a degree course for either pure acting or MT at 18.
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

My DS was not a dancer at all
Minimal experience before he started applying
Singing is definitely his strength
He’s just completed the foundation course at Mountview and his dancing has come on so much so I deffo wouldn’t rule out MT
Xx