Auditioning for Sept 2019 - 6th Form

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

GillyM
Nominee

Re: Auditioning for Sept 2019 - 6th Form

Post by GillyM »

My son ( actor/singer/musician) is just coming to the end of happy years on the BTEC at The Hammond, doing A levels too. He did 4 auditions and has 2 offers for BA.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Ah thank you Sherbert. What is your son doing after the foundation year? I may have read about it on the boards, but can’t recall. Has he enjoyed Mountview?
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

That’s really good to know Gilly. Hammond is definitely on my sons list. Seems like a lovely school and great course.
GillyM
Nominee

Post by GillyM »

They have an open evening next month
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Harry2003 wrote:Ah thank you Sherbert. What is your son doing after the foundation year? I may have read about it on the boards, but can’t recall. Has he enjoyed Mountview?
He has a BA MT offer at Trinity Laban and a recall next week at GSA so definitely one of those two xx

He LOVED his foundation year at Mountview and is still slightly devastated not to be doing the BA there x
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

GillyM wrote:They have an open evening next month
He did go to an open day in October and loved it.
Harry2003
GRAMMY Award

Post by Harry2003 »

Sherbert wrote:
He has a BA MT offer at Trinity Laban and a recall next week at GSA so definitely one of those two xx

He LOVED his foundation year at Mountview and is still slightly devastated not to be doing the BA there x

Ah, very good offer and fingers crossed for GSA. Must be a blow not to be offered BA at MV after the foundation year. I understand not many get into the full time courses at the same college they did foundation - such a shame if they loved it. Do they get feedback from the college if they are not taking them onto the BA?
Sherbert
GRAMMY Award

Post by Sherbert »

Yeah this is true - I’ve heard that before as well - almost like they can’t be seen to be a feeder for the BA - yes he did get feedback - I think he scored well but it’s just down to individual taste and having a diverse class that compliment each other and he just didn’t fit anywhere at that time - only 3 lads from the foundation were offered the BA (just happened to be his 3 closest friends on the course ](*,) ) so he’s ok now but was really gutted at the time x

Onwards and upwards though eh and a new adventure to start in September :)
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Hi folks, I'm the one who started the 2018 thread but I thought it might be useful to some of you to let you know that Hammond have an open Evening coming up on 9th May. All the academic staff are there as well as dance/MT so you can discuss Btecs, diplomas and A levels.

I really would advise if possible visiting schools and colleges NOW rather than waiting until September as it is so difficult to balance GCSES and auditions without trying to add open days etc into the mix.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

GillyM wrote:My son ( actor/singer/musician) is just coming to the end of happy years on the BTEC at The Hammond, doing A levels too. He did 4 auditions and has 2 offers for BA.
Gilly, my son goes into Year 10 next year and Hammond is somewhere we are considering for 6th Form. He has visited in the past as his sister is in Lower School there & starts the diploma in September but he is an actor/singer and she is a dancer. He would prefer to stay on at his school 6th form for pastoral/SEN reasons but they only do a Btec in dance which is typical school dance standard, his school don't do drama at all even for GCSE.

What A levels did your son do alongside the Btec as thats another thing, at his school 6th form its either 3/4 A levels or 2 Btec's, no mix and match.
GillyM
Nominee

Post by GillyM »

islandofsodor wrote:
GillyM wrote:My son ( actor/singer/musician) is just coming to the end of happy years on the BTEC at The Hammond, doing A levels too. He did 4 auditions and has 2 offers for BA.
Gilly, my son goes into Year 10 next year and Hammond is somewhere we are considering for 6th Form. He has visited in the past as his sister is in Lower School there & starts the diploma in September but he is an actor/singer and she is a dancer. He would prefer to stay on at his school 6th form for pastoral/SEN reasons but they only do a Btec in dance which is typical school dance standard, his school don't do drama at all even for GCSE.

What A levels did your son do alongside the Btec as thats another thing, at his school 6th form its either 3/4 A levels or 2 Btec's, no mix and match.
Hi
He is doing English Lit and Maths. ( only 2 people in Maths!) PM me if you'd like to ask anything at all! He has got into his first choice school for BA too
rhythmanddreams
BRIT Award

Post by rhythmanddreams »

Hi all,

my DD is currently in her second year of A-levels, and due a few things this year (1 cancelled due to snow, and illness ) she attended only 1 audition in the end so has decided on a gap year next year and to audition for 2019. I feel better prepared for the second time around!
She is hoping to do a triple threat musical theatre degree or diploma course. Is anyone's children attending a summer school this year, and if so which one? My DD is attending the one at Performers College as she really enjoyed her audition there and they offered her a place on the foundation course which she cannot accept due to the funding (or lack of). Hopefully it will be a good insight for her into what full time training is going to be like.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

My DD will be going to sixth form in Sept 2019. There's a couple of local (ish) colleges that have good performing arts departments, so will be looking at them. Also she recently entered a festival held at a private school and won the acting category and their head of drama told her he'd like to teach her, and mentioned scholarships they do. That would be A levels though, and I think she's more likely to want a performing arts course.