Dance GCSE choice for PA career.

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Zoeharvey1
BRIT Award

Dance GCSE choice for PA career.

Post by Zoeharvey1 »

My DD is in year 8 but they are already choosing their GCSE options. Can anyone advise us on the importance of Dance GCSE for future PA studies please? She is choosing drama and then has to choose between music and dance. She does dance grades outside of school. Thanks.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Re: Dance GCSE choice for PA career.

Post by riverdancefan »

I would say dance GCSE is more "movement" GCSE. It is nothing like anything resembling dance that I am familiar with..maybe a bit of contemporary.
The choreography component can be fun.
My DS did it as it fitted in well with other choices, but I can tell you your DD won't be missing anything significant if she doesn't choose the dance option. Music is far more beneficial imo.
I was constantly puzzled by the things DS had to incorporate in GCSE dance..weird!!
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

I don't think it will have any importance/relevance for future PA Colleges. My DD did PE GCSE and could have Dance as the sport. She has to do lesson plans, coaching and performance. At the end of the day though it is down to the audtion day that will get you in or out. Personally I think if your child does alot of dance outside of school, don't waste a GCSE on dance - just my opinion.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

If it will be enjoyable then fine. Music GCSE is usually considered more challenging. Success in the dance GCSE is probably more about an organised teacher who covers the written aspect properly if your DD is already decent standard in dance. The written part usually clinches the * in an A* in dance GCSE (know this from DD experience - the decent dancers got A* in practical but A overall because the teacher hadn't covered the written aspect) As for it actually counting for the future, no, it doesn't matter. As others have said it is the audition that counts and any grades needed for a course will be A level or BTEC not GCSE. But she does need to get Maths and English GCSE. Choose the one she likes the best that fits in with other choices.
Zoeharvey1
BRIT Award

Post by Zoeharvey1 »

Thanks for all your advice. She has chosen drama and music. :D