A level dance ??!!

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

scottishdancer00
BRIT Award

A level dance ??!!

Post by scottishdancer00 »

My daughter is currently taking higher dance ( Scottish A level dance ) and the whole thing is proving to be a nightmare. The class has about 8-10 girls of various levels on of whom is a Scottish ballet associate so VERY good and they have all failed their mock. They had a week to learn their solos , hadn’t been told what devices and structures were the correct level so put in the wrong ones which the teacher didn’t correct until after the mock . They’ve had no technical corrections all year. I don’t want to be a delusional mum who thinks my daughters so much better than she is but surely when you have a group of girls who have all done well in dance outside of school ALL failing the issue must lie with the school not the students ? My question is if my daughter does end up failing what impact will this have on her future and does anyone have any advice for her on how to pass the course
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Re: A level dance ??!!

Post by Robin64 »

My advice would be go and speak to the school and ask for an explanation plus a plan of what they are going to do to address the issues. I would search out the syllabus and mark scheme and get DD to go through it in detail. Buy the textbook and teachers book if you can. If it entails group work your DD needs to get her colleagues to commit to putting the time in at lunchtimes or after school. Hope you get it sorted. Horrible when these things seem to be being handled badly.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

If the Higher includes written exams - do loads of past papers so that her written marks are the best they can be. Sometimes you can access mark schemes so she should not need to rely on any teacher helping if they aren't that good (or helpful!)
scottishdancer00
BRIT Award

Post by scottishdancer00 »

Panic over - thanks for the replies everyone , seems the teacher was talking about the majority of the class who failed but dd and another girl scraped an A . Shame for the students who failed though as I’m sure many are capable of more
Munchpot
GRAMMY Award

Post by Munchpot »

scottishdancer00 wrote:Panic over - thanks for the replies everyone , seems the teacher was talking about the majority of the class who failed but dd and another girl scraped an A . Shame for the students who failed though as I’m sure many are capable of more
Phew!