Straight Acting 2018 - how to choose and manage finances?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Littlemum
GRAMMY Award

Straight Acting 2018 - how to choose and manage finances?

Post by Littlemum »

Hello NAPMs
It's been a while since I've posted but I just wondered if anyone could offer their advice / guidance on this?
DS is 18, completing Btec extended Dip in MT, but really wants to do straight acting. Lots of rejections (Royal Welsh, Mountview, RCS, Bristol, Lamda, Guildhall) and one first round yet to go (CSSD). Two recalls - one to the final round at GSA and now to the final round at Rose Bruford. So far so good - but here is the issue.
He auditioned at Fourth Monkey and LOVED it - he is a very physical performer, quirky, a dancer too. He's been offered a place on their 2 year 'Actor Rep Training' course and really wants to do it. I suspect he's perfect for them and would learn a great deal. However, there's no student finance - no degree or other qualification at all, and that's a big risk. We have to find the funds ourselves and although family have offered to help us with costs, it's still a massive call for us. It's not just the fees (£20700 for the two years) but the living costs of course. And with all these things I know there's absolutely no guarantee of work as an actor when you leave. I guess he could re-apply for drama school after 2 years and take out more debt with student finance but also that's a combined colossal debt...

What do you think?
Go with the gut feeling that the Fourth Monkey training is perfect and as likely as anything to get him contacts and skills to keep being the crazy creative person he is (have you heard of Fourth Monkey before?)
Stick with the establishment - if he got offered a place this year at a drama school, take it; if he doesn't, re-audition and keep going?
How important is the degree? And how important is how well known the training establishment is?

I know there's no right and wrong answer but if anyone has any thoughts I'd be very pleased to hear them.
Thank you all
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Re: Straight Acting 2018 - how to choose and manage finances?

Post by jennifer1972 »

Hello

I have no idea what Fourth Monkey is, but gut feelings count for a lot. Also, it's a fact that straight acting courses do like older students. I would wait till all auditions are done and see if he got any offers from anywhere that he loved and if not, do this Fourth Monkey course and re-evaluate in a couple of years time. Yes, it is more debt but remember that no matter how much of a student loan you take out, what you pay back depends on what you earn further down the line. If like many actors, you stay on a relatively low salary, the amount you pay back is minimal. For the meantime, if you have family willing to help and opportunities for your DS to get a summer job then this 2 year course sounds like it could be doable. Good luck!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I have heard of Fourth Monkey and think it is a great option to have.
Something that he might be interested in is Peer Productions,I know several students from my daughter's drama club do this and then get offers at drama schools.
It is on our list for the future . www.peerproductions.co.uk
bumble-bee
Nominee

Post by bumble-bee »

Hi! I agree with the replies here. My ds quite similarly completed btec lev 3 ext at the Brit sch, then auditioned for all the drama sch’s (acting) when he was 18. Royal welsh was by far his favourite but he only reached reserve list, they only keep 5 people on reserve & unfortunately he wasn’t offered a place there, reached final rounds for LAMDA, GSA & Rose Bruford. Rejected from LAMDA in the end but offered both GSA & Rose Bruford. At the time he also applied for Peer Productions (lotsolaffs has linked).

He is currently 2nd year at Rose Bruford he chose it over GSA, as he felt for him it was more your traditional type drama school. Fourth Monkey is a reputable training sch, and no doubts your ds would do well there, but would he then want to do the whole audition rounds again after two years? I agree with Jennifer1972 to wait and see if he gets any offers then decide. All drama schools cover an element of physical theatre, at Rose Bruford ds does physical theatre, along with Russian Movement, Alexander technique, stage combat etc. He is absolutely enjoying his time at Rose Bruford and was the best outcome for him!
Good luck with your decision :D
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Hi

I do know someone who went to Fourth Monkey. They got on their one year course, but the cost of living was so high for them, they left the course early. They've said course is very good, you'd just have to look into your finances to see if it's affordable. I'd also say keep this debt separate from any student loan debt that might be taken out. Student loans as said are repayable once you earn above a certain amount and only at a % above that amount, written off after 30 years. It's unlike any other debt you'll find. If you do think he'll end up going down the degree route at some point, be aware how the maintenance loan works. The amount the student can borrow is based on the household income of where the student lives. I *think* after 3 years the student is classed as being independent and then it would go on his income. If you've only got a set amount to finance him, have a look into whether you'd also need to help out at a later stage and how feasible this would be.
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Fourth Monkey looks cool so I think it would come down to finances. It is a lot of money to find but it does say lots of the students work part time to help with living costs. You would most likely have to at least cover accommodation on top of the £20,000 fees for the 2 years though. If it is likely to be really difficult finance wise I think I would stick to chasing a student loan financed degree. It gives some ideas on Fourth Monkey site for finance such as sponsorship or charities but in reality that sort of thing is nigh on impossible to get. If he really really wants to do it then maybe work for a year and save towards the cost - perhaps they would defer his place. Career development loans are an option but they must start to be paid back as soon as they finish the course but it might give you an opportunity to get the money together over time for paying back the loan? I wouldn't worry too much about the degree as he could go and do one at a later stage if necessary. It is just the finances that I would be ultra cautious about. There is a chance he could get housing benefit - DD does for a foundation - it has to be full time education / training that is not a degree so you may be in with a chance on that one and maybe cheap Oyster travel too which helps.
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Sorry, I haven't heard of Fourth Monkey, but we were in a similar position with a course at LSMT the first year. It looked amazing and we were really tempted. It just wasn't viable financially and I am so glad now that he didn't do it. As much as we would all love to think that our DS or DD will make a go of their chosen profession, I think that having a qualification to support them in lean times is a good idea. When choosing a school, it is also important to look at what their ex students are doing now and have they done this on the back of the course or have they gone on to take another course ? As others have said . Don't under estimate the cost of living in London. £500 minimum plus bills for a room every month , massive teenager food bills , mobile phone, clothes, oyster plus headshots and Spotlight if the course is eligible .well done to your DS and good luck deciding .
Littlemum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Littlemum »

I’d just like to say a big thank you to you all for your guidance and replies.
He’s now had a yes from GSA and on final recall at Rose Bruford. Really valuable advice from everyone - I don’t know what we will do yet but maybe it will become clearer!
Robin64
BAFTA Award

Post by Robin64 »

Littlemum wrote:I’d just like to say a big thank you to you all for your guidance and replies.
He’s now had a yes from GSA and on final recall at Rose Bruford. Really valuable advice from everyone - I don’t know what we will do yet but maybe it will become clearer!
Great result. GSA was a real fave for DD but sadly no luck with that one for her. Haha, now the money you have to stump up for help with uni will seem small in comparison to Fourth Monkey! Good luck with Rose Bruford too.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

Well done to your son. Personally I'd snap the hand off a good drama school that has student funding rather than one you have to privately finance, but I know others may feel differently. Good luck with the next audition too.